Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

getting in on the ground floor so the thread can collapse on me in the next earthquake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

sign me up for the pole poll

okay which is best, north or south?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I'd be interested to see data about how many people vote the same way as their parents across various age groups. I voted Labour like my parents in my first election, not because they said "you should vote Labour", but because they'd brought me up with certain values which I still have. If my parents had brought me up with more right-wing values I'd almost certainly have voted National at least at first. It's nice to tell myself that my life experiences and cultural changes since then would have guided me left as I'd matured and started thinking for myself more but I don't know that for sure. If anything I drifted towards the economic centre for a bit in my early 30s (still never voted right of Labour for social reasons) before doubling back down onto the left and voting Green for the last few and the forseeable future.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 15, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Needs to say the n-word to keep pace though

Are you sure that would make him less popular?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol i thought the url was some sort of joke or metaphor but he’s literally a pimp now

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 17, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

is it too soon to change the tread title?

Aotearoa Newzealand Politics: From politician to pimp

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

I know it sounds funny, but if you read the article it mentions exploitation, physical and sexual assault. I'd rather our title did not make light of any of that.

I wasn't suggesting it purely for humour value. More of a laugh so you don't cry/look how awful (some of) our politicians are sort of thing. Like joking about Trump's "grab em by the pussy" thing. Joking about how awful it is is not the same thing as "making light" of sexual assault.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

Fair enough, I didn't intend it to be accusatory and was probably overreacting.

It's okay, given the subject matter it was an understandable response and in hindsight maybe it's not the best thing for a blithe thread title

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The perfect tax is zero tax because the state already owns everything and private property is abolished :colbert:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

please don't do that again

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

exmarx posted:

Stuff – Largest and best news website.

Editor's picks: sports, advertising pretending to be news, and naked clickbait for the token politics entry. Is this seriously the best we have to offer? :smithicide:

e: i have no idea why that white void is at the bottom of my screenshot. it doesn't usually do that but it's effort to fix and a white void seems appropriate anyway so i'm leaving it in

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Nz media is a white void

:thejoke:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

who are the people on the left?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

more like yesterday fm

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Not to defend poo poo employers trying to take advantage but this stuff is actually complicated and confusing and full of exceptions. I have a very intelligent friend (no this isn’t a weird way of talking about myself because I’m definitely not that smart) who is a technical writer which basically means he puts technical poo poo into layman’s terms for people. Part of his job to explain this poo poo to employers so they don’t gently caress it up and he finds it way more of a headache than other parts of his job like writing manuals for VCRs or whatever else he does. I work hospo which has a lot of exactly the sort of employers who will try and use this poo poo to their advantage if they can actually understand it but tbh as dumb as I am I’m at least as smart as half of them and I can barely understand it myself so basically what I’m saying is never assume malice when something can be adequately explained by incompetence

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Inflation is still too high and persistent, and employment is beyond its maximum sustainable level.

Too many people have jobs dammit!

drat, guess we’ll have to double the unemployment benefit to entice people out of work

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sounds like it’s time for some malicious compliance. Start taking your break exactly on the halfway point of your shift, regardless of how busy it is

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I don’t get jealous of people’s status symbol cars but I do decide who I let into traffic based on how fancy their car and neighbourhood are. Boomer guy in a Porsche Cheyenne or a rich looking lady driving a convertible in Redcliffs? You’re waiting for a gap. Mum with an old sedan full of kids in Woolston? Yeah I’ll let you in.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I hate that poo poo too. No making a lot of money out of your parasitic industry doesn’t make you a celebrity

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Personally I hope David Seymour gets called back to his home planet before the election

Does Rimmer, as a computer-generated hologram of a dead person, even have a home planet?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Not afaik. Haven't heard anyone talking about it. Maybe in certain circles?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Not racist enough

We are definitely racist enough

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

we don't hate the poors like the uk, yet

why doesn't my house have central heating, double glazed windows, and good insulation then

also why don't we have free healthcare

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

apparently the alarms would go off all the time but they were false alarms and nobody paid them any attention. for some reason they didn't go off this time, but even if they had, it might not have made a difference

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

redleader posted:

use words, not emoji. gently caress!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

we're watched on camera and told to stop talking to people etc.

This sounds kinda dodgy to me. A bit of googling suggests employers are only supposed to use cameras to watch staff for stuff like health & safety or if they have reason to believe staff are stealing, not for making sure you're not talking to people. Assuming those people are customers that should be good anyway, and even if they're not you're a human being, everyone talks to their colleagues wtf

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

klen dool posted:

You need to get the gently caress away from that place and get a new job bud

Yeah. I’ve found one of the biggest factors in my mental health is whether I’m working at a place where I feel respected and appreciated. I hear you about the difficulty of looking for a new job especially when you’re feeling down, but it’s absolutely worth the effort.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Personally I think it’s good to know your rights as a worker whether you plan to do anything about them or not. This is a discussion forum and someone else might find the info useful even if the op doesn’t

Also, it is possible to say to your boss “hey this isn’t cool or legal please stop it” without launching a formal legal battle. I did it with my current boss trying to give me 5 min breaks instead of 10s. Now I get proper breaks and we even still get along

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

The person with self esteem issues is definitely going to torpedo the fragile stability of their job, which they need to live, by instigating a protracted legal investigation that may not lead to anything. I am very smart.

Also, maybe you could let the OP decide for themselves if they want to do anything and not talk poo poo about other posters giving them information?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

how much does it cost to get qualified as a teacher?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

It's just the Nats fighting to get some of their base back from ACT. They have backed out of climate promises to try and get the farmers vote and now they are suggesting we need more white babies for the racist demographic.

yeah it's pretty telling how he's promoting babies and not immigration :thunk:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Aotearoa Newzealand Politics: vomiting and diahorrea. lmao

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

it's pretty big yeah

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Your HP doesn't go down if you're not spending every waking moment thinking about capitalism.

i see you haven't played disco elysium

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

not to excuse anything but i'm starting to wonder if politicians having conflicts of interest are like states spying on each other. it's bad and you're not supposed to do it but everybody does it anyway, everybody knows everybody does it, and if you get caught everyone is outraged about it because they have to pretend they're not doing the same thing

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 21, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I'll give him $1 for it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

stuff asking the hard questions

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If you’re at the point where you need to analyse the value of upsizing your fries there are much more economical takeaway options than bk

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

bike tory posted:

Bunnings is a bad example because hardware stores are pretty much the only kind of shop where it's acceptable imo.

dog-friendly hospitality venues. we have sections outside where customers can chill with their dogs. i get to pat all the dogs and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

just water? shameful. we have doggy treats