Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Good OP, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ultimately yes, that's the enforcement leverage?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The mayor said he did not see much benefit to being part of LGNZ.

Brown said he and his band once played a gig for an LGNZ conference and he was not impressed with what he saw - claiming members were "completely pissed, all night long" with no benefit to ratepayers.

I for one, am shocked that conference goers would be drunk and dancing during the time they had a band playing.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I've been busy

You sure have been!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

A lot of melodrama there, but what's the scandal exactly? I'm not hearing anything about political motivations, it's just a business closing/downsizing early and the talking heads being unhappy?

To be clear, the talking heads can get hosed, they don't have to worry about paying next months mortgage, but a lot of other employees do, and it's clearly been incredibly poorly handled.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Pararoid posted:

I thought the idea was to sell off the declining TV assets and focus on the profitable radio assets?

That's what happened. Mediaworks is a radio company now. TV3 is now owned by Warner Bros Discovery.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you get a day in lieu for every day you'd normally work. If that's just being 'paid out', then sure, but afaik it's certainly more than one day.

You get a day in lieu when you WORK on a public holiday. Not when you don't work, you're getting the day off.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mweb posted:

I heard again this rumor that Cameron Slater has had yet another stroke or series of strokes or that the result of his last stroke is bad and causing continuing complications, and he is not in good shape and trying to hide it from the media. One poster in a telegram group chat said he was incontinent but I cannot confirm any of this and it may be a total fabrication

Couple of close family members have had bad strokes, and it's awful and crippling and heartbreaking and Slater deserves every second of that misery.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Slavvy posted:

Hope this helps and good luck!

Heritage shed!

bike tory posted:

I think she's probably not been named by the media coverage because no one knows who the gently caress she is. Same with how the CDEM people aren't being named, just their roles. I'm pretty sure she's mentioned in the report.

Yeah the report notes that the CDEM clearly hasn't been doing dick under her chairship, but I guess the simple fact that she's a long term elected representative of Howick is a strong indicator that she's gently caress useless, as is tradition in East Auckland politics.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

nvm lol the media are apparently on her side?

Are they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZPAHM_S2rM

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
"Plumbing" is a wide field. The guys who come and fix your leaky tap do OK but not that well because there's only so much you can charge homeowners and you got a lot of non-chargeable time in travel. The big money is the guys who own a business/named franchise and get in with property developers and employ a bunch of guys either as employees or sole traders. They'll come and do everything on a new build from drainlaying, to the internal plumbing and final fit out. Those guys work hard in all weather and might spend months in the dirt before the slabs get poured. Throw in gasfitting on top of that for the big dollars.

klen dool posted:

We very recently had heaps of renos done at our house, and I absolutely do not think builders are dumb as poo poo. They talk like they are but like I was living and working in the house while they tore it apart and out it back together and I gotta say they are loving smart.

Yeah once you're beyond simple labouring, there's a LOT of thinking ahead in multiple dimensions. To use plumbing as the example, you've got to place the toilet sewer pipe exactly where it needs to be on a bare site, with the right (legal) amount of fall from wherever it is to wherever it goes, and that placement has to take into account the final completed floor level and wall location before the pipe gets concreted in the slab never to be moved again.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think once again the thread has confused working class tradespeople with the petit bourgeois tradie business owners who act like they're the voice of the working poor while clearing 120k a year with all the tax breaks afforded to them

There's units being built on my street and all the non white builders and workers turn up in old Nissan sedans with their tools in the boot, while all the white dudes have late model rangers and hiluxes

Yeah working tradies either drive shitboxes, or actual work vans and utes. The shiny 4 door utes with big wheels are more often driven by bosses, or Steve from accounts who obviously needs a ute to carry around his spreadsheets.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bobbilljim posted:

Just wanted to say that I often fall into this trap of being jealous of people with nice cars or boats when they are seemingly less well off than I am and I have a decade old car and think "How can they afford a nice car???". But more likely they are buying it with a loan of some kind and anyone in employment could have that nice car at least temporarily, and we just choose to buy an old car to save money

The other thing when you're used to buying cheaper cars is you only either pay cash, or see the rates on used car finance, which is loving dismal compared to what you can (or at least, could get) on new cars.

poo poo, for a while you could even buy a McLaren interest free.

Obviously there are even more advantages if you can jam it through your business accounts too.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Even if they did try an Arden'ing (they won't, Christopher is the Great White Hope), I doubt Willis can win them an election anyway, she's poo poo.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Who?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

lmao at the idea that "night culture" is buying alcohol from the supermarket after 9pm

Yeah, like I have problems with this dumb poo poo too, but lol.

Auckland's nightlife (by which I mostly mean night*club*, restaurants and bars are mostly OK) suffers from problems caused by on-licence hours, property value (driving up venue rents as well as sucking up disposable income), poor transport options, poor wages, being a boring-rear end sale at Briscoes never go out once you have kids culture and big lack of decent class A gear.

lovely off-licence hours is inconvenient and annoying, but lol. Explaining to foreigners? Like who? The same kind of whinging poms who won't shut up about proper pints? American's who often come from places where you can't buy booze on Sundays? Layabout Mediterranean's who stay up late at night cos they kick off and take a nap for half the afternoon?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Booty Pageant posted:

but yeah you'd think there'd be more incentives like that insulation and heating subsidy years ago, i don't think it was a failure at least, and yet no one gives a gently caress

It's still a thing.

https://www.eeca.govt.nz/co-funding/insulation-and-heater-grants/warmer-kiwi-homes-programme/

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

That's not how it works.

The govt levies a $5 prescription charge. The pharmacist collects this. Some pharmacies, predominantly big foreign chains like Chemist Warehouse and Countdown, waive this charge and cover it themselves, as a loss leader. The problem is, not everyone has one of these outlets close to them, particularly in rural or provincial areas. Or maybe you're poor, or elderly or disabled and can't afford/can't physically shop around all over town.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

The Rabbi T. White posted:

BRING HOME THE BIRD

And have it bring back gross Florida diseases and bugs to infect the local populace? Yuck, no thanks.

Besides, it IS home, he was born there.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
No surprises, Tauranga is after all the most car-brained town in the entire country, yes even over Auckland.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

It's in the "if I take one more step it'll be the furthest from home" scene

It's only in the theatrical release, was fixed for the DVD, except it appears in one of the special features.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Saros posted:

who are generally going to be already fairly well off

Source?

Saros posted:

have insurance

Doesn't cover the now uninhabitable land.

Saros posted:

Largely so we can just kick the can on managed retreat past the election.

Isn't this a part of managed retreat?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Deftly pulling out.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

mweb posted:

Can I say how awesome it is that Rawshark has evaded police all the way in 2023. I imagine them somewhere, living their best life.

Isnt it awesome when they rubbed Cameron Slaters criminal face in the dirt and denied him work in the future

Where is Cameron Slater these days ? Irrelevant, hated, stroke-having, not much going on

Again I want to emphasize how cool it is Rawshark has evaded police and if they have got this far its likely they will never be caught, if they are that good at this. I just think the criminality that was involved was awesome and its awesome they got away with it, it sets an awesome precedent.

mweb posted:

It is 2023

Lets remember this basic truth and story to anyone not fully informed:

Rawshark remains free and uncaught by New Zealand Police after a lengthy and expensive investigation with multiple blunders such as raiding Nicky Hager's home. Rawshark has evaded capture for nearly 9 years after exfiltrating data from Cameron Slaters website and posting it on twitter.

Cameron got owned by Rawshark and denied future sources of work to do dirty politics stuff- there is no doubt he was caused financial distress.

Slater later had multiple strokes and then entered irrelevance, mainly after losing a few big lawsuits against him

Slater was New Zealand's own Alex Jones, and ultimately owned

mweb posted:

I just wanted to say I loved the idea that rawshark is out there alive and laughing somewhere , love to think it

You really got a thing about this huh? Are YOU rawshark?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

echinopsis posted:

if you qualify for the community services card you should get it coz you can now walk into a pharmacy and get free liquid paracetamol and nit treatment and scabies treatment and eye drops and liquid ibuprofen but not paracetamol tablets or ibuprofen tablets and you can get free nit combs and syringes but not if you dont have a community services card but you can if you're maori or pacific islander or under 14

actually no it's not every pharmacy it's some pharmacies. I wonder how long till people know about it and use the scheme. we normally get paid peanuts for dispensing medications but get $25 for each of these consults. I won't get a pay rise

"hardworking middle new zealanders" are too rich for a CSC

That said, since I have one, how do I get my free poo poo?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

echinopsis posted:

https://www.tewhatuora.govt.nz/for-the-health-sector/community-pharmacy/community-pharmacy-minor-ailment-service/

if you live in one of these places then somehow you magically know which pharmacies are involved and then you go say idk.. I am sick. I need paracetamol liquid and a nit comb and a syringe. and then answer the questions

ONE interesting thing is that we are not to police the CSC status or if you're maori/PI so you can just lie and say you are. strictly when we bring up an NHI it tells us what ethnicity someone is but I suppose we're not meant to question if their NHI ethnicity says NZ european or like chinese but they say they're maori

the purpose is to steer people away from the ED departments

Decent looking programme, now to find one of the pharmacies. Thanks!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I haven't found an answer to that but I did stumble across this on wiki:

quote:

The only known example of a traditional waka sail is in the British Museum.

Typical.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
BT already hooked you up, but another way is that Stuff has long catered for reader contributions via "Stuff Nation".

https://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
He is? When, I could do with a laugh.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Oh right, I'd seen that advertised, just didn't make the connection due to, y'know, Te Pai not being in Tat Pen :razzy:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ratios and Tendency posted:

ACT trying to get 17-year-olds classed as adults quelle surprise.

Will they let these 17yo adults vote? No? Huh.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

he's referring specifically to some OC produced by klen dool

Just hoping it's not homegrown.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

klen dool posted:

People shouldn't have to "know how to behave around dogs" to exist in public. If a kid out in public does something stupid to a dog thats your fault as a dog owner, not the kids fault for not knowing how to behave around dogs.

What? So like if a kid runs up and kicks a dog in the head, that's the dogs fault?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

edit: well gently caress, what? No, kids know not to kick things. Much like how a dog's behavior is on it's owner, a small child's behavior is on its parent. If some daft bugger has his kid run up to a random animal and get's kicked by a horse or nipped (not mauled) by a dog, that's on the parent.

Children, well known rational and consistent actors.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Slavvy posted:

2005:

Today:

Counterpoint: ciggie liveries are some of most iconic, and the rest are oil companies, so equally scummy.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Sphyre posted:

wheres the motorbike thats sponsored by V

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Is this the same rumour you posted about in April?

mweb posted:

I heard again this rumor that Cameron Slater has had yet another stroke or series of strokes or that the result of his last stroke is bad and causing continuing complications, and he is not in good shape and trying to hide it from the media. One poster in a telegram group chat said he was incontinent but I cannot confirm any of this and it may be a total fabrication

Or more like the time you went on about him again in June?

mweb posted:

Can I say how awesome it is that Rawshark has evaded police all the way in 2023. I imagine them somewhere, living their best life.

Isnt it awesome when they rubbed Cameron Slaters criminal face in the dirt and denied him work in the future

Where is Cameron Slater these days ? Irrelevant, hated, stroke-having, not much going on

Again I want to emphasize how cool it is Rawshark has evaded police and if they have got this far its likely they will never be caught, if they are that good at this. I just think the criminality that was involved was awesome and its awesome they got away with it, it sets an awesome precedent.

One man Slater fan club over here.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Especially considering the large amount of capital tied up in just cigs sitting on the shelf. But, high value transaction each time, so presumably the margin adds up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Progressive JPEG posted:

idk why anyone goes to dairies

but i also didn't understand convenience stores / bodegas / etc in the US either so maybe its just me

It's just you.