Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty sure I've never voted the same as my folks, I think they did a better job exposing me to good people than they became themselves in retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Frankly, MMP is great and every vote not for the two primary parties is a good vote. Yes, even that weirdo extremist group that eats puppies. When Labour got a majority party I was happy that my 'anybody but National' agenda was being pandered to, but worried about the long-term effects of absolutely anyone getting a majority; two-party systems are bad and we don't want to mimic them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ghostlight posted:

Third-way ideology

I had to google that phase.

Why is everything left vs right, this isn't the states and issues aren't monolithically bipartisan by design. Like, is improving transport infrastructure antithetical to which party exactly? Keeping household pets from demolishing local fauna might be a Green party issue, but if that makes them left, who's opposing that on the right? (As much as I'm anti-National I don't think they've taken that line.)

This isn't a troll question, as I feel a lot of talking points are just echos of the US's culture dominance. From decades ago, I recall in Argentina a radical party was calling for the absolution of international debts, was that left since it's radically anti-business, or right since it's grossly isolationist? etc.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

exmarx posted:

these are examples of vague policy outcomes, not ideological positions.

should transport infrastructure be improved by selling it off to more efficient private operators and letting them set tolls, or by nationalising fulton hogan and downer into a new ministry of works? what does "improving" transport infrastructure mean – making things faster for private vehicles? expanding the range of mode options available to people? should the government incentivise remote communities in tairāwhiti to relocate away from natural hazards so that transport investment can be focused on high-population centres, or does the state have a duty to enable people to keep living on their whenua? how should infrastructure financing be shared between central and local government?

I was being intentionally vague, but yea I mean exactly, some of those approaches can be tagged as left or right, but some are just more party-specific objectives whose opposition doesn't immediately make everyone involved fall into certain ideological buckets.

I think a good example is the Green party a couple of decades ago; strict anti-pollution measures are left, but they also opposed abortion (!?), so if they gotten to be a majority party (hah) which label would we have used on them?

Constantly hearing left vs right feels reductive, and frankly as I said before kinda like importing terminology with its own baggage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What? A bunch of knee-jerk reactions aside, what the hell is that all about?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A lot of melodrama there, but what's the scandal exactly? I'm not hearing anything about political motivations, it's just a business closing/downsizing early and the talking heads being unhappy?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you get a day in lieu for every day you'd normally work. If that's just being 'paid out', then sure, but afaik it's certainly more than one day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You get a day in lieu when you WORK on a public holiday. Not when you don't work, you're getting the day off.

Ah you misunderstand me, "normally work" is referring to you having a standard schedule leading up to the holiday, not to imply that they're off on the holiday. With a bunch of variable-shift jobs like wait staff, they can get shafted on the day in lieu if they only work mondays 50% of the time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Volunteered on some tv thing today, about social experiments/scams. Some guy was being hassled to leave and asked me to hand another person in the next room a package. I said yes, and SURPRISE the package is full of money, I've been suckered!! I rather failed to see their point.

Given the contrived scenario, I'm surprised they didn't pick something a bit worse; thinking about it more, while I'm 100% assured what I did was moral, was it even 'illegal' given the worst case scenario of a bunch of hypothetical cops standing by to bust me for money laundering? I didn't cross any borders, had no reason to think the package was dodgey, etc. Interested if anyone here would even know local laws on it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is this the twilight zone? People are angry that managers are on their back to take their break at the legally mandated time, the worker is arguing that he can go a bit longer to make things easier on everyone but himself?

Good work ethic mate, but take your fuckin' breaks and drink more water, there'll be no medal (nor a raise) for throwing yourself into the grinder like that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's no secret that almost every job pays better in Aus for the same work, I have like an endless parade of doctor acquaintances popping over for a triple-pay tour, while 20 years ago a different set of friends where piling over for hospo jobs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

klen dool posted:

I reckon national are gonna try and ardern willis

Whatever do you mean by that, as my interpretation of what 'an Adern' is doesn't really sync with that statement?

vv edit: lol, cheers

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 27, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Xik posted:

What even is a blue-green voter? Are there really people out there that care about the environment but hate the poor and minorities.

Better keep the planet in tip top shape so we have a great environment to punish the disadvantaged in.

A misanthrope? Trees good, overpopulation bad.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It almost sounds reasonable until I imagine having to explain this to foreigners in Auckland: Sorry, we're a stuck-up bunch of religious prudes who can't handle their wine, nobody's allowed to have fun at night since night culture is for degenerates.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

cptn_dr posted:

Yes, not being able to buy a crate after 9pm at some point in the future is exactly the reason Auckland's night life has been dying for years, you are very clever.

I never said that. It's not a long sentence, maybe you should re-read it.

Other places in the world are somehow able to keep their poo poo together while enjoying an evening both in the city and at at their homes when hosting. Narrowing the hours of the sale of alcohol is the most low-effort, milquetoast, ineffectual way of addressing problem drinking while simultaneously offering the most collateral annoyances.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know a barrister who was briefly defending the white island case. From what I heard, sounds like it was a total clown show, with a healthy dollop of "It's not our fault since we can't be responsable for anything."

I wonder how close that is/was to the other groups being mentioned here who are getting people killed under their watch.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lmao Nicola Willis

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"So people who have access to multiple chemists, including ones giving discounts to get people in the door, have better health outcomes?" I'm not arguing that's what it is (cuz it isn't), and I strongly support the idea that even the most minor of barriers have dramatic effects on services and so public services should be as free and effortless as possible, but some nerdy part of me is yelling "don't trust news bites in a politics thread, even if they promote your views". But then that's addressed in the research itself so I'm worrying about nothing - thanks for the direct link.

Related, recently I returned a bunch of library books after finally getting off my rear end and getting back into the habit of hobby reading again. A few where late, and as I pulled out my wallet the librarian told me they don't charge late fees anymore, apparently those where scaring off people from using the service, which is amazing to me and I really love this country at times.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What's the actual Bill? Well ok ok in laymans terms, just not self-congratulatory politician terms. Lifting on housing restrictions in what way?

"Building in your backyard + first time home buyers" sounds an awful lot like garages converted into studios with no construction codes.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How could that be an election issue? The only thing a politician can do about that is increased spending (and a lot of it), and I thought National's whole thing is having a balanced budget after years of reckless spending on the poors by Labour?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What'd they get perma'd for?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What? So like if a kid runs up and kicks a dog in the head, that's the dogs fault?

Don't be obtuse, 'touching a dog wrong' could simply be petting it the wrong way, or not being able to read it's body language if it doesn't like you.

edit: well gently caress, what? No, kids know not to kick things. Much like how a dog's behavior is on it's owner, a small child's behavior is on its parent. If some daft bugger has his kid run up to a random animal and get's kicked by a horse or nipped (not mauled) by a dog, that's on the parent.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 19, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that's why they have parents looking out for them. I think there may even be laws about this, but don't take my word on it!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I absolutely loved lemon V, but even their marketing campaign mocked the drink. The flavour change has to be a financial/cost thing, right? It's flavour is strongly iconic, and I'd be very surprised if changing it brings in new customers.

(I've also not touched any energy drinks since november, so uh I guess I'm just some old fart opining about things that doesn't effect him anymore)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just saw V cans being sold at the local pack & save for $1.25 each. I don't think I've seen them that cheap since University days.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I visited the John Cleese trash dump in Palmerston North; we had some spare time that day and nothing else was going on. Both Cleese and the Soccer ladies aren't wrong in the slightest.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Self-Identify my rear end, I've had forms altered by the admin person as I'm clearly too white to not be pakeha.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I refuse to believe anyone who says that the gas prices will dip in any significant way in NZ. I won't see sub-$2 petrol at the pump again in my lifetime, barring stuff like the collapse of society.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
V is delicious, V Blue is comfort food.

I've also had no energy drinks nor caffeine since November last year and have been on a health spree, but gently caress almighty would I pay for a no-calorie, no-caffeine version of V Blue. Would probably taste like rear end, tho.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No better or worse than National's "Let's get back on track" slogan.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"Reapply every six months", what assholes. It's a hugely stressful experience for the applicant, nevermind adding a bunch of workload for all the case managers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Switching from green to labour increases the odds for labour, where a vote for green is almost certainly not going to get them in power

This isn't first past the post, you understand that voting for minority parties is good under MMP, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh poo poo, I went to bed early last night and just looked up the final results now, they barely squeaked in with 61 seats drat. I was expecting more of a blowout honestly, it was something like 66 when I hit the sack.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Can we please not compare NZ parties/politics to US ones? It's reductive, inaccurate, and loving pointless, even as we acknowledge the States's influence on us.

I hear about US crap shouted from every corner of the internet, I really don't want to know more about it, this is like a tiny little hole where we can block out all of that and talk about more local stuff. Please.

edit: shameful snipe. I'm kinda quaranteeing myself from the news as it's incessant gibbering during election season, but I am keen to hear other people's takes. We're all seem to share similar views here, but a friend recently came out as ACT supporter and it was interesting to hear their reasons why. Not everyone's logic is mustache-twirling villany. (just most of them)

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No idea about voting, but a lot of people where very strongly dismayed to have to go back into their caves. I know my landlord had a whole pile of work they wanted to cram into my flat that got left unfinished. Much grumbling (but they where never a labour supporter, for sure)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A sample size of only a thousand people can give such accuracy? I know the statistics of it, I'm just astounded at their selection process being so apparently robust.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Regarding tax brackets, the only people who I've ever seen notice about, nay even loudly complain about, are inevitably the quite well-off. Going on and on about how they're too low and disincentivizing them from working harder, etc. Poor people don't fret about where they sit in the brackets, they just pay it.

Tying tax brackets to inflation isn't an evil move, it's just one that their demographic really really cares about.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jacinda drove away traditional Labour party support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

klen dool posted:

Discrimination based on race got us into this mess and discrimination based on race is the only way to get us out of it, but discrimination based on race is only racism when you are doing something bad to someone not when you are doing something good to someone.

Yes, I know I stole all of your stuff and shoved you into a pit, and stealing is bad and so we really should stop doing it, I agree! So when you forcefully take some of the stuff back in compensation, that's stealing again, and we shouldn't be doing that, remember!! Please stay in the pit and let me enjoy your my stuff, thanks a ton!