Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Skinamarink is extremely my poo poo. I love it. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like long sequences like for example the driving sequence in Tarkovsky's Solaris, then you're not going to appreciate Skinamarink.

The film is based on a short that is in fact 30 minutes, and is on the director's YouTube channel. It's called "Heck". ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQzEzW4faA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I loved the ending of Men.

me too. just in general

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Gonna watch a horror movie with MY WIFE tonight. I hope it's a good one.

Last horror that impressed me was uhhh The Dark and the Wicked

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

kntfkr posted:

Gonna watch a horror movie with MY WIFE tonight. I hope it's a good one.

Last horror that impressed me was uhhh The Dark and the Wicked

You should watch Possession with her.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I am really trying to turn this into a joke, but I just ain't that smart

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They're watching Irreversible

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you want another suggestion Malignant is a loving blast of a movie to watch.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They're watching Irreversible

is that a movie or their life choices?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hollismason posted:

:agreed:

I didn't even hate the first half like most people, the second half is just so wolfshit crazy of course it pales.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Hollismason posted:

I really tried to like Malignant but I just couldn't. Movie is absolutely bananas in the second half though, for sure.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I feel like someone should have mentioned The Night House by now. Highly enjoyable.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hollismason posted:

About a month ago, I stumbled upon a copy of the uncut version and that is quite the movie.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

jump scares don't belong in horror. Horror is existential, jump scares are just that, scares

nah existential stuff isn't scary, it's just reality. lots of blood and jump scares, now that's scary poo poo. clowns with spooky teeth!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The Empty Man was good as hell too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

nah existential stuff isn't scary, it's just reality. lots of blood and jump scares, now that's scary poo poo. clowns with spooky teeth!

if you don't think existential poo poo isn't scary you don't think enough. Or maybe I think too much. or maybe I don't think enough.
gently caress.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DickParasite posted:

The Empty Man was good as hell too.

the Kevin Bacon movie?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Nah different one

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5867314/

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Controversial take: Psychological horror is good, and also jump scares can be good.

There's a specific thing that's always triggered some lizard brain thing in me, which is "something coming towards the camera quickly". There was some otherwise bad movie a couple years ago about uh, a ghost that couldn't come into the light or something. It was bad. But there's a scene where a guy notices a figure in a doorway across the room when he shuts off the light, and it's gone when he flips it back on. Shuts it off, figure is still standing there. Flips light on, etc. You know exactly what's gonna happen, it's a wildly telegraphed jump scare, but it still freaked me the gently caress out. It's in a bad movie, but it's not bad because of the jump scare.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if you don't think existential poo poo isn't scary you don't think enough. Or maybe I think too much. or maybe I don't think enough.
gently caress.

Existential dread is more terror, I would say, if we want to be technical. Maybe. I don't know. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_and_terror

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

Controversial take: Psychological horror is good, and also jump scares can be good.

There's a specific thing that's always triggered some lizard brain thing in me, which is "something coming towards the camera quickly". There was some otherwise bad movie a couple years ago about uh, a ghost that couldn't come into the light or something. It was bad. But there's a scene where a guy notices a figure in a doorway across the room when he shuts off the light, and it's gone when he flips it back on. Shuts it off, figure is still standing there. Flips light on, etc. You know exactly what's gonna happen, it's a wildly telegraphed jump scare, but it still freaked me the gently caress out. It's in a bad movie, but it's not bad because of the jump scare.

for sure. both are good. both make you feel alive. one makes you jump in your seat, the other makes you think. think, there is no way this could happen in real life, could it?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bagool!!!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I find horror stuff really compelling but I also can't handle it at all. I'm no good with jump scares and disturbing psych horror tends to float around my brain for weeks afterwards.
What's the best approach here? Watch slightly spooky things and slowly ramp up over time? Or dive straight into the horror pool, forfeiting any sleep?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

evil dies tonight

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

I find horror stuff really compelling but I also can't handle it at all. I'm no good with jump scares and disturbing psych horror tends to float around my brain for weeks afterwards.
What's the best approach here? Watch slightly spooky things and slowly ramp up over time? Or dive straight into the horror pool, forfeiting any sleep?

try some 80s and 90s schlock horror. Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Pet Semetery. You have to learn how to be scared before you like horror movies. Try Event Horizon if you like sci fi

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I really liked The Void, but there's a few movies with the same title so I had to keep telling people, "no the newer one." The "rules" seemed a little weird, like the cultists had to kill someone and then die in order to transform? But it's a weird movie so it gets a pass :cthulhu:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The void had a pretty weak ending but the journey itself was great imo.

Kinda recommend Block Island Sound, it's a pretty cool and rare premise for a horror film.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
To be honest, one of the most viscerally frightening things I've seen in a horror movie was that bit in Get Out with that dude just full-blast running at him in the middle of the night. That's just about my worst nightmare.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

28 Days Later was great for introducing the concept of fast zombies, until every single zombie movie and game afterwards used them too.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Waffle! posted:

28 Days Later was great for introducing the concept of fast zombies, until every single zombie movie and game afterwards used them too.

You mean Return of the Living Dead. Where they are also effectively indestructible until 4 and 5 which are bad crap. 1 and 3 are excellent though.

And five odd pages on modern horror and no mention of The Descent? That movie is friggin great. And if you need an intro horror survival film Ready or Not is legit. Behind the Mask is good too but you kind of need to be into horror for that one.

But in general the 70s and 80s have the best horror films out there and near horror cuz Jaws and Aliens aren't precisely horror but they are right up on the edge. Though like I listed there are some good ones.

It's probably too late for it now but another Baby's First Horror is Anna and the Apocalypse. However it's also a Scottish High School Christmas Musical that just happens to be about zombies and funny. (Dead Alive aka Braindead is still funniest horror movie.)

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
hi. i'm a weirdo what runs multiple movie nights. i have things to say. i don't actually have any professional or academic credtentials but i'm still gonna drunkenlry asert thay a bunch of you are saying obvectively wrong things so im gonna weigh in like my words mean a thing

giallos aint just any garish-yet-beautifully-coloured italian trash. gently caress, giallos pre-date colour film. giallo as a genre does not include the supernatural. they are slashers/whodunnits. blood and black lace is one of the best of the genre, colour or black and white.

suspiria, despite the momentary appearance of black gloves, aint actually a giallo. also, the remake is also great and its existence is material confirmation of tlwhat is absolutely the only way to remake a good movie - taking the narrowest conception of the premise and a few of the most fundamental plot beats and telling an entirely different story.

e: will vomit more words when home. currently being helpful at dive of choice

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I've often felt that a truly great horror film doesn't SCARE you. Good ones (bad ones too, I guess) will jump scare you, or make you anxious, but a truly GREAT one will leave you with a deep sense of disquiet afterwards, like you saw something you shouldn't that's rubbing on your heart. This is INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off, and odds are no one will agree what horror films cause it (for me, it was The Thing and the original Blair Witch Project). Stephen King said that when writing his horror, his first goal was to try and terrify. If he couldn't terrify, he would try to horrify. If THAT didn't come together, he'd go for the gross out. In horror, the first one is REALLY drat HARD to do right, the other two are much easier. Heck, the middle one (Horrify) is likely why so many horror films end with NO IT'S NOT OVER RARRRGGHHH or IT WAS ALL POINTLESS AND NOW THE LAST PEOPLE ARE GONNA DIE OR WORSE TOO; they mistake horrifying for nihilism. As Futurama accurately said, that's not scary, it's just MEAN.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

ok not home but done being momentarily useful

a24 is worthy of respect. as one poster stated, they give money to directors and scripts other studios won't. this in itself is worthy of respect. the fact that they have also managed to back as many good films as they have is basically just gravy.

if you disagree, congratulations. you are the reason m3gan is pg 13. it was originally a hard r, but got softened because the studio concluded they would make more money with a softer cut when the ad with the tik-tok dance went viral.

i aint watched it yet and probably wont until that original cut gets released but still, i hate you on a deeply personal level.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sigh, too late

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

as someone who absolutely loves abstract, atmospheric horror - skinamarink is bullshit.

for context - i intentionally paid for a death-industrial album that was one track on one cd that was literally just one bit of spoopy distorted feedback slowly modulating pitch for like 79 minutes.

skinamarink is 1hr and 45min of notihing randomly punctuated by 3 unearned jump-scares.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Sex Farm posted:

Me eating good sushi for the first time: wow sushi is kind of having a moment right now

Me seeing a "Sex Farm" post for the first time: wow who the gently caress is this

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

as for the late 90's tk early 2000's trend of what i like to call 'gorenography' i too am glad it is (mostly) over.

yet, i am genuinely confused that in so far as my whiskey-soaked brain can recall, there is a poster capable of condemning the trend and then praising those poo poo-rear end movies about the spoopy clown or that use the spoopy clown for the framing of an anthology ...

art the clown is the dumbest wettest fart and fails at both horror and comedy. old school discovery channel medical documentaries were gorier and any episode of 'are you afraid of the dark' would have a better horror premise.

yall got lower standards of scary than tweenage juggalos trynna piss off their parents

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
s/o to this thread for style inspo

Bonus:
realized we had the Hellraiser decor in the background of this pic of my dumb son (and a Lemmy funko I found in Newbury Comics like a decade ago)

E: jfc I have three horror shirts. and one Almodóvar film one. Where is the Almodóvar thread

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Poohs Packin posted:

Me seeing a "Sex Farm" post for the first time: wow who the gently caress is this

good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Thoss posted:

as someone who absolutely loves abstract, atmospheric horror - skinamarink is bullshit.

for context - i intentionally paid for a death-industrial album that was one track on one cd that was literally just one bit of spoopy distorted feedback slowly modulating pitch for like 79 minutes.

skinamarink is 1hr and 45min of notihing randomly punctuated by 3 unearned jump-scares.

OK NERD