Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

IT WAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Is Sharon, Lois and/or Bram involved?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

s/o to this thread for style inspo

Bonus:
realized we had the Hellraiser decor in the background of this pic of my dumb son (and a Lemmy funko I found in Newbury Comics like a decade ago)

E: jfc I have three horror shirts. and one Almodóvar film one. Where is the Almodóvar thread

nice shirt and cat

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Poohs Packin posted:

nice shirt and cat

yeah teen witch's shirt and cat are kind of having a moment right now

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dr. Thoss posted:

as for the late 90's tk early 2000's trend of what i like to call 'gorenography' i too am glad it is (mostly) over.

yet, i am genuinely confused that in so far as my whiskey-soaked brain can recall, there is a poster capable of condemning the trend and then praising those poo poo-rear end movies about the spoopy clown or that use the spoopy clown for the framing of an anthology ...

art the clown is the dumbest wettest fart and fails at both horror and comedy. old school discovery channel medical documentaries were gorier and any episode of 'are you afraid of the dark' would have a better horror premise.

yall got lower standards of scary than tweenage juggalos trynna piss off their parents

Got tricked into watching terrifier 2 in theaters and it was such a slog. Id rather watch Michael again.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

your mother, your sexual partners, and i are all very disappointed in you. albeit for very different, yet equally obvious, reasons.

plz reflect on this

Astrochicken posted:

Got tricked into watching terrifier 2 in theaters and it was such a slog. Id rather watch Michael again.

oof. sufficient quantities of competent gore can sustain me through something under 90 minutes even n a movie otherwise devoid of any merit, but that thing was like two and a half hours long and judging by all of the previous films, the only other remotely notable thing would have been the director shamelessly shouting "but do you see how big the clowns teeth look when he smiles?" coming through ever so subtly through the rear speakers during the credits when watched in a theatre will old school thx surround sound

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Thoss posted:

your mother, your sexual partners, and i are all very disappointed in you. albeit for very different, yet equally obvious, reasons.

plz reflect on this

jfc you probably talk like this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm gonna watch some XFiles tn!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hell yeah just watched one about a rogue ai

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

try some 80s and 90s schlock horror. Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Pet Semetery. You have to learn how to be scared before you like horror movies. Try Event Horizon if you like sci fi

I'll give it a shot.
It will be weird watching stuff I've only ever seen as references in early Simpsons halloween episodes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Wrong answer

Go watch The Lone Gunmen; it’s all on YT and loving rules. Xfiles MOTW episodes plus slapstick goofy poo poo and featuring one of my many husbands, Richard Langly

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

s/o to this thread for style inspo

Bonus:
realized we had the Hellraiser decor in the background of this pic of my dumb son (and a Lemmy funko I found in Newbury Comics like a decade ago)

E: jfc I have three horror shirts. and one Almodóvar film one. Where is the Almodóvar thread

That reminds me: the new Hellraiser was pretty sick.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DickParasite posted:

That reminds me: the new Hellraiser was pretty sick.

I’m saving it for a secret Easter weekend horror marathon for me and my partner, because he surprised me with a Helsinki trip for our anniversary. no spoilers but I’m so happy to hear!!!it’s on the list!

Actually, with that, can I query for some recommends?

He still has a soft spot for zombies and while I’m kinda burnt out on it, he always loves a zombie film. He’s seen Romero “…of the dead” and related offshoots and most major tentpole zombie films with odd Italian ones, weirdly enough. But I want to find something that isn’t some grimdark poo poo from 2007, I am tired of it.

My area of horror interest is 70s-90s and it can be schlock, but not the real dredges of Troma. some Troma is ok

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dr. Thoss posted:

plz reflect on this

oof. sufficient quantities of competent gore can sustain me through something under 90 minutes even n a movie otherwise devoid of any merit, but that thing was like two and a half hours long and judging by all of the previous films, the only other remotely notable thing would have been the director shamelessly shouting "but do you see how big the clowns teeth look when he smiles?" coming through ever so subtly through the rear speakers during the credits when watched in a theatre will old school thx surround sound
Yeah, the entire strength of the first one was it was short and to the point.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sometimes you just want to watch over the top gore and that’s ok (in a fuckin movie settle down)

I think Art is a solid villain, like there is potential for a better film with him as the villain. Now, will it be Terrifier…? Maybe not.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021
Not recent at all but Green Room is fantastic. Kind of along the lines of real world poo poo that op mentions. Maybe it's not quite horror, but dumb violents neonazis irl are way scarier than made up zombie bullshit.

X was very good, haven't gotten around to watching Pearl yet. I lost some faith in Ti West after Sacrament but glad to see he's still got it. His older stuff's worth watching -- House of the Devil is very good if you like slow burn horror.

Most recently, Smile was pretty good. Not sure the ending was my favorite but dug the psychological layer throughout the whole thing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I loving *loved* X and Pearl. Massive fan of “good for her” horror, probably my favorite subgenre.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

teen witch posted:

I’m saving it for a secret Easter weekend horror marathon for me and my partner, because he surprised me with a Helsinki trip for our anniversary. no spoilers but I’m so happy to hear!!!it’s on the list!

He still has a soft spot for zombies and while I’m kinda burnt out on it, he always loves a zombie film. He’s seen Romero “…of the dead” and related offshoots and most major tentpole zombie films with odd Italian ones, weirdly enough. But I want to find something that isn’t some grimdark poo poo from 2007, I am tired of it.

My area of horror interest is 70s-90s and it can be schlock, but not the real dredges of Troma. some Troma is ok

I thought Overlord was ok; WW2 and Nazi zombies. Deadly Friend is 80s cheese. Dagon was really good imo, if it's available anywhere. From Beyond is one of my favorites. Mandy was awesome.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 12, 2023

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

teen witch posted:

Offshoots including Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombi 2 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters)? Would recommend any of those if he hasn't seen them.
One Cut of the Dead is a Japanese film from a few years ago. It's super low-budget, but full of charm and best gone into blind.
City of the Living Dead is worth a watch. It's surreal and nightmarish and at times boak-inducing, in other words classic Fulci.

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021

teen witch posted:

I'm assuming he's watched the rec series already, but if not the first rec felt like a fresh twist to the zombie thing at the time. You might decide it's literally some grimdark poo poo from 2007 and not necessarily be wrong (down to the year), but I think it's usually well-regarded.

I'd avoid the rest as they get progressively worse (rec 2 is ok, rec 3 is straight up garbage).

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

teen witch posted:

Is Sharon, Lois and/or Bram involved?

It astonishes me that up until COVID they were still touring. Well, "Lois" retired from the touring but still recorded music with them until her death in 2015. It's amazing what musicians just keep going for decades after their moment in the spotlight. They did say they were doing a 'retirement tour' in 2019, so maybe their time is finally done, but still, it's impressive.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Offshoots including Return of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombi 2 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters)? Would recommend any of those if he hasn't seen them.
One Cut of the Dead is a Japanese film from a few years ago. It's super low-budget, but full of charm and best gone into blind.
City of the Living Dead is worth a watch. It's surreal and nightmarish and at times boak-inducing, in other words classic Fulci.

wait for it posted:

I'm assuming he's watched the rec series already, but if not the first rec felt like a fresh twist to the zombie thing at the time. You might decide it's literally some grimdark poo poo from 2007 and not necessarily be wrong (down to the year), but I think it's usually well-regarded.

I'd avoid the rest as they get progressively worse (rec 2 is ok, rec 3 is straight up garbage).

solid recommends, danke. Hello from underneath the lemmy funko.

these are all his. i don’t have any, plex is my shelf.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Bring back slightly boring, low-gore Hitchcockian slow burn

The only horror movie I really need is Copolla's Dracula

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Skinamarink is extremely my poo poo. I love it. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like long sequences like for example the driving sequence in Tarkovsky's Solaris, then you're not going to appreciate Skinamarink.

The film is based on a short that is in fact 30 minutes, and is on the director's YouTube channel. It's called "Heck". ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQzEzW4faA

Skinamarink was tremendous.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Watch Black Magic 2. Just watch every horror movie Shaw Brothers put out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

beer gas canister posted:

I would recommend Pontypool then.
It's a one room/set movie, a radio station,where the host starts getting calls about weird poo poo happening.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If you want to just have a lot of fun watching something like The Boys from County Hell , Bodies Bodies Bodies, Orphan First Kill, Studio 666, Extraordinary, All of the Fear Street Films on Netflix, The Hunt,

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Happy Death Day 1-2 a year or two ago and I thought those were fun. :)

More of a horror-themed comedy.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

i'll second pontypool as a recommendation.

hereditary and midsommar might also work for you. there is gore, but it's used fairly sparingly and to good effect.

teen witch posted:

since he's still into zombies, pontypool might be a good choice for you, too.

also the zombi sequels made by claudio fragasso and bruno mattei, though they may maybe be too schlocky for your own tastes.

given the presence of cannibal corpse and behemoth i also think your partner might enjoy deathgasm and the tv series todd and the book of pure evil. more comedy than horror, but both tons of fun.

you're next, the guest and seance all have solid "female protagonist refuses to be a victim" themes. those and jakob's wife seem like they would fit pretty well into your "good for her" sub-genre.

e: bodies, bodies bodies is also good fun. i'm a big fan of watching whiny entitled dipshits selfish themselves to death.

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 13, 2023

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I really liked Mad God and The House. They should make more stop motion horror, imo.

Mad God only took about 30 years to make. Just another 29 years until Phil Tippett's next masterpiece.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Blood Quantum was a pretty good little indy zombie film.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I want some new slow burn gothic ghost stories. The most recent ones that come to mind are The Woman in Black and Crimson Peak, and the latter came out in 2015 (if I’m wrong and there’s some newer stuff, let me know!). Give me some new movies similar to The Innocents, The Haunting, and The Devil’s Backbone with beautiful cinematography and camera work such as these.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You Are A Elf posted:

I want some new slow burn gothic ghost stories. The most recent ones that come to mind are The Woman in Black and Crimson Peak, and the latter came out in 2015 (if I’m wrong and there’s some newer stuff, let me know!). Give me some new movies similar to The Innocents, The Haunting, and The Devil’s Backbone with beautiful cinematography and camera work such as these.

Have you ever seen The Changeling? The George C Scott one, not the more recent one. That seems to be exactly the type of movie you're looking for.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hollismason posted:

You should watch Possession with her.

We watched Possession before for this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvLZMsYXlo

It didn't go over well.

I liked it. It was weird.

There was absolutely nothing we hadn't seen on Prime or HBOmax or on the Chinese website we use to watch movies so we wound up watching "Missing" starring the little sister from Euphoria and the Chinese guy who beats up Junior Soprano. It had us entergaged but was pretty stupid and we hated the format of the whole thing being on computer screens.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Have you ever seen The Changeling? The George C Scott one, not the more recent one. That seems to be exactly the type of movie you're looking for.

Oh wow, this is one I always casually forget because I haven’t seen it in some time. I own it and it is incredible. Gonna give it a watch today since I’ve got nothing else to do. Thanks for reminding me of this gem :tipshat: George C. Scott should have done more horror films because he was great in The Exorcist III, too.

Anyone ever seen 1981’s Ghost Story with Fred Astaire? I’ve seen a few clips that have nice goopy special effects (the best), but the story sounds pretty pretty basic and I have never seen it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Exorcist 3 redeemed the visually stunning yet loving slog that was Exorcist 2

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Exorcist 3 was amazing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

teen witch posted:

Exorcist 3 redeemed the visually stunning yet loving slog that was Exorcist 2

:hai:

I own the first and third Exorcist, but not the second one.

That fuckin’ jump scare in III still gets me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

thought it was too long and the allegories too hamfisted. Also the multiple Tildas were funny but not in an endearing way. The dance sequences were excellent, though.

but enough about Hail, Caesar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyone ever seen 1981’s Ghost Story with Fred Astaire? I’ve seen a few clips that have nice goopy special effects (the best), but the story sounds pretty pretty basic and I have never seen it.

I read the book and really disliked it, it just didn't click for me. Then I saw an extended bunch of clips from the movie recently, and all of them looked really cool. I just picked up a Blu Ray copy for cheap, hoping to watch it soon.

The novel just seemed really boring and long-winded to me. It had some really good scares, though, so I'm hoping the movie is a more condensed version of that.