Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A24 does modern horror right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The VVitch, Hereditary, Midsommar, and The Lighthouse were all mentioned in the thread. I was specifically going by those mentions alone, am well aware they do it all and not just horror thorough many talented people in the industry rather than simplifying it as “OMG A24,” and couldn’t give any less of a poo poo of some of their other bland films. Mid90’s was rear end puke gently caress garbage boring.

But I am a dumb poo poo. I’ll give you that one.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The original Suspiria is such a beautiful movie, bring back technicolor you cowards!

Then you get to the second installment of the Three Mothers Trilogy (Inferno) and it's a slog. Great cinematography and very vibrant, but boring as hell. Someone on these boards long ago told me don't even bother with Mother of Tears because it's even more of a bore. I may watch it someday just to say that I completed the trilogy, but Suspiria is the only good one (I've seen), IMO.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

beer gas canister posted:

Bring back slightly boring, low-gore Hitchcockian slow burn

I want some new slow burn gothic ghost stories. The most recent ones that come to mind are The Woman in Black and Crimson Peak, and the latter came out in 2015 (if I’m wrong and there’s some newer stuff, let me know!). Give me some new movies similar to The Innocents, The Haunting, and The Devil’s Backbone with beautiful cinematography and camera work such as these.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Have you ever seen The Changeling? The George C Scott one, not the more recent one. That seems to be exactly the type of movie you're looking for.

Oh wow, this is one I always casually forget because I haven’t seen it in some time. I own it and it is incredible. Gonna give it a watch today since I’ve got nothing else to do. Thanks for reminding me of this gem :tipshat: George C. Scott should have done more horror films because he was great in The Exorcist III, too.

Anyone ever seen 1981’s Ghost Story with Fred Astaire? I’ve seen a few clips that have nice goopy special effects (the best), but the story sounds pretty pretty basic and I have never seen it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

teen witch posted:

Exorcist 3 redeemed the visually stunning yet loving slog that was Exorcist 2

:hai:

I own the first and third Exorcist, but not the second one.

That fuckin’ jump scare in III still gets me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's probably the best jump scare in cinema history.

:yeah:

A Fancy Hat posted:

I read the book and really disliked it, it just didn't click for me. Then I saw an extended bunch of clips from the movie recently, and all of them looked really cool. I just picked up a Blu Ray copy for cheap, hoping to watch it soon.

The novel just seemed really boring and long-winded to me. It had some really good scares, though, so I'm hoping the movie is a more condensed version of that.

Yeah, I’m thinking of blind buying the Blu-ray because the clips Intrigued me. I can’t pass up early ‘80s practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I know nothing of Pedro Pascal besides he is in the Mandalorian and I believe he is a genuinely good dude and pisses off the right wingers or something.

I'd like to see him in something.

Watch The Equalizer 2. He’s great in that. Then watch the first Equalizer (which doesn’t have Pascal) because they’re both self-contained movies and great action/suspense flicks.

edit: ^^^ uh, that's a pretty bad new red text you got. 1) gently caress that person, 2) you should probably change it

Yeah, this, too. That’s hosed up, teen witch.