Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
What would you tell them? Imagine you have a friend that you want to share SA with and they are going in knowing nothing at all about the site. I was just thinking about what you learn from lurking that isn't in the rules. Like for example:

- Emptyquoting is kind of the equivalent of liking a post, you emptyquote when you agree with something or think it's funny. Use in moderation to avoid clogging up threads, especially in the more serious parts of the forums, you may get probed if you do it some places.

- Make sure you check at least the last few pages of a thread before replying to an older post to make sure you aren't repeating, and if you do repeat something you can edit your post to add "efb" or edit: gently caress, beaten to apologize (this is kind of in the rules already but it doesn't talk about efb)

- Quote is not edit! People make this mistake all the time. If you accidentally quote yourself you should edit your post to say "quote is not edit" or similar so it doesn't look like you are emptyquoting yourself.

I'm sure there's much much more I'm not thinking of so have at it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
lurk more

vote 2

dee eight fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 12, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is goatse and his prophet, giant pig balls. Treat both with respect and adoration

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
This site won't let me criticize Catholics, I do not recommend it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Make an introductory thread using the HOT tag

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
You're talking like I'd ever admit paying money to be a member of this community to anyone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"uh so yeah please don't associate me with anything else you may happen to see on here"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wouldn't.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was in a CVS and I was talking to an older gentleman who worked there about his days being in a choir at high school. 4 Of them used to hang out and jam.

I said that reminds me of that Billy Joel song. I started to hum "The Longest Time" and he was not familiar and I couldn't think of the name.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tite Barnacle posted:

You're talking like I'd ever admit paying money to be a member of this community to anyone.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Make an introductory thread using the HOT tag

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

:justpost:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Given the current state of the forums i'd honestly struggle to even justify re-reging, let alone introduce anyone to it.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

I guess it's a way to experience what posting was like 20 years ago. Before social media was big. As far as I can tell this site is still held together with radium era spaghetti code. Which is a problem, but a different sort of problem to what you get on more modern websites.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

goatse

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Run.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’d start them out in the coupons forum for 2-3 years and see how they do

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A lot of these people are loving morons but some of them are pretty funny, go hog wild

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’d probably send them to a fake sign up page where the $10 goes to my own paypal

then i’d mirror the forums by manually copying over everyone’s posts and also copying their posts here to keep up the illusion

once they’re hooked i’d occasionally ban them or give them a gross red text and hope they open up their paypal again

i’d need to do this for a couple hundred friends and i could quit my day job

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 12, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
You may get probed or banned for saying words that the BBC say on-air but you can also make fun of the owner blowing his brains out because he was a jerk. Welcome to the world of volunteer moderation!

that g ova there
Mar 1, 2023

by Hand Knit
Volunteer moderators want the BBC

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

its kind of like a hip hop message board

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Make all your wildest dreams come true!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im gay

You think thats funny? What are your opinions on goku?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Don't look at me. Don't quote my posts. Don't even think about adding me to your friend's list. Don't PM me (don't get me platinum so you can PM me either). Don't talk to other posters about me. Don't laugh at stuff I post. Don't be using smilies or emojis at me. Don't link to my account. Don't even look at my avatar.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
It's like a church, but they only ask you for money once, and you're not encouraged to show up regularly.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i'd tell them it's kind of a suicide cult that all the followers chickened out on

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

An otherwise perfect crime

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I did introduce a few friends to SA and my preface was essentially that the forums under 'Main" are mostly just shitposting and some discussion, but all the other forums have genuinely good discussion.

Without that, people go straight to GBS, click some thread, read the first three pages of shitposts, and think that that's all this offers.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
It’s useful because there’s a huge range of people and experiences here, but don’t take their opinions on anything seriously and they think they are much funnier than they really are.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

im gay

You think thats funny? What are your opinions on goku?

I have been following you for years.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
It's like other social media except it doesn't have a userbase and it's run off 20 year old web forum software and yeah you have to pay to use basic features why do you ask where are you going

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's a place you can post only if it's friday

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There are so many reasons not to do that. One of them being that I'd have to admit that I post here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’d preface it with “please do not be worried”

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I would piledrive them into the computer monitor, OP

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The less people IRL who know I post here the better. My wife knows, but I haven't shared my username and she wouldn't care to browse SA. I met a kid when I was 20 who had an account but we also never shared our usernames, he was weirdly secretive in a way I guess I didn't understand until now.

There are a handful of SA emojis on my work slack, like :toot:, but I'm very corporate and not cool so I'll never tell anyone why I'm fond of that one.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

“Do you have stairs in your house?!”
“What? Uh, yes?”
“Wrong answer bitch :smug: HADOUKEN HADOUKEN HADOUKEN!!!!!!”

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

The less people IRL who know I post here the better. My wife knows, but I haven't shared my username and she wouldn't care to browse SA. I met a kid when I was 20 who had an account but we also never shared our usernames, he was weirdly secretive in a way I guess I didn't understand until now.

There are a handful of SA emojis on my work slack, like :toot:, but I'm very corporate and not cool so I'll never tell anyone why I'm fond of that one.

I bet the mystery goon was bigpeeler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
"i like stairs" is a secret password on there