Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
In Pulp Fiction, Butch deciding to go back into the basement to save Marsellus, despite the following facts:

- He might fail and get killed, or worse, by Zed/Maynard
- He might succeed and get killed, or worse, by Marsellus anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I can see the path before me, tears streaming down my face, the words echoing in my ears, "Jamis was my friend." By seeing it, I make it inevitable.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I never got the whole Rohirrim thing in LOTR. I remember when the movie came out and people were saying how much they liked that stuff and I couldn't figure out why. It was like they were building it up to be some kind of important thing but instead they spend 90 minutes of the second movie that basically just amounted to "yeah lets go help them fight". I wasn't sure why I was supposed to care about any of those characters at all, it felt like something from another movie or that they were padding the runtime. And yes, I've read the books, but it never felt like it was THAT much of an outstanding thing. Just some people who liked to ride horses, nothing much else about them to say about any of them. Whoop de poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And the Starship Troopers Klendathu drop is just so intense. The music, the fear, the terror, the uncertainty.... it's just bonkers. Too much for me to take. At the 3 minute mark when they start to touch down is when I lose it normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4

Seconding this. I watched the movie when it first came out and I was like 5. Blowing up bugs was awesome. Watched it as a teenager with an understanding of satire. Laughed at the nazi fucks getting ripped apart by bugs.

Watched it as an adult. I feel loving horrible for everyone involved in this goddamn catastrophe. They didn't have to be there. They just wanted to have kids, or find a purpose in life. Now they're being thrown into a grinder and yeah it's loving hilarious when the newscaster gets snipped in half by an arachnid but it's also awful because none of it had to happen if these poor, dumb idiots didn't live in a fascist society where they're told to die for a cause that's not worth their lives.

Felt something similar with the last fight as well, where Watkins goes down and it's this heroic/tragic/ironic sacrifice where he embodies the doomed-to-die fascist ideal but he stays behind to save his friends more than anything else. But he can't even bring himself to say that. He doesn't die as a hero, or die saving his friends. He's just trying to kill some bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuRjF9cn3SI

Like, this movie is incredibly goofy and ridiculous and over the top and the acting isn't always very good. But everybody is so sincere and the actors who aren't aware of Verhoeven's style are completely earnest while the older actors who've worked with him before still put in great performances. It's insanity but entirely human insanity.

On a similar track of "society demands we conform and commit horrible deeds", the ending to Jin-Roh gets me. English or Japanese, Fuse and Kei's last scene is just heartwrenching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzDoMVRy6Lw
And then just slams into the credits and plays you out with this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpVNNC52Q_o

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 14, 2023

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

grill youre saelf posted:

I cry at almost every movie. Most TV shows too. Balled like a baby at some part of Lego Ninjago in the theater with my 8 year old. Ferdinand too. That's just lately

I feel you bud. Been a rough few years. Been a rough everything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Toxic Mental posted:

I never got the whole Rohirrim thing in LOTR. I remember when the movie came out and people were saying how much they liked that stuff and I couldn't figure out why. It was like they were building it up to be some kind of important thing but instead they spend 90 minutes of the second movie that basically just amounted to "yeah lets go help them fight". I wasn't sure why I was supposed to care about any of those characters at all, it felt like something from another movie or that they were padding the runtime. And yes, I've read the books, but it never felt like it was THAT much of an outstanding thing. Just some people who liked to ride horses, nothing much else about them to say about any of them. Whoop de poo poo.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously.

Rohan was like.... really important in the books and quite visibly clearly in the movies. They were half of the "men."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Theoden knows that riding to Gondor is riding to the end. There's no guarantee that they'll win.

They go anyways because it's the right thing to do. And that's enough.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

The scene in October Sky at the end after Homer Hickham Jr explains to his dad that while Wehrner Von Braun was a role model, his father has always been his hero. Then during the movies final launch, his father shows up and they give him the ignition button to launch the rocket on the pad.

-happy tears

The scene in Freak the Mighty where Max starts running after the ambulance through the snow because Freak told him he was getting a new body. Freaks birth defect prevented his body from sustaining his heart any longer. The special unit that Freak tells Max is going to give him a new body, it turns out to be a laundromat.

-insanely sad tears

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
When they kill the puppy in John Wick. I’d be shooting some motherfuckers too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I remember seeing Life as a House in the theater I worked at at the time because I wanted to see Hayden Christiansen in a movie before the Star Wars movie came out.

I saw it by myself (I did that a whole lot while working there) and got really high beforehand. All I remember is balling in the theater like a baby. Also I remember Hayden being super whiney and I didn't like him. I haven't seen it since nor do I know what it is even about.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The ending to Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, when it becomes apparent that John Candy's wife is dead and he's all alone.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
i remember being like, 11 and crying really hard to the end of the weird Spielburg film AI.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
When they finally see the spotted shark in the Life Aquatic is making me weep just thinking about it. Such a good movie.

The ending of Coco when Mama Coco sings. gently caress

The Road

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

AFewBricksShy posted:

For me it's the end of the Last of the Mohicans, which is absolutely due to the music choice.
Pretty much everything starting with Duncan offering himself in place of Cora and "tricking" Hawkeye, the music picking up, the mercy kill, then the chase up the mountain... it's just amazing and I get chills every time.

Edit:
pretty much this entire clip, except it skips the part where Duncan (Red head guy) sacrifices himself (and not translating what Hawkeye tells him) instead of Cora and Hawkeye not realizing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kksVR141Kw

I was raised watching this film with my dad, the score makes it that much more special. I'm gonna listen to that at work tomorrow, thanks!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Big Hero 6 when they realize their differences make them stronger together

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Moana's grandma being reborn as a spiritual manta ray to guide her does it too. I think I've posted that before. For all they've done wrong, Disney manages to hit me right in the heart.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

When Rose is on the lifeboat being lowered into the water and she looks up at Jack and decides she'd rather die with him than live without him and jumps back onto the Titanic and they have that big reunion and it's a super sweet scene right before all the really scary, chaotic bullshit happens.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Whenever I would watch the mighty ducks, I would immediately after tear up the local ice rink

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1P_hPf-woA

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The opening to Arrival
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_B850mT9zy0&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Like yeah, cheap pull of the heart strings , child dead

But gently caress me, just compress a lifetime of pathos into 2 and a half ish minutes with some poignant music and I'm bawling like a toddler

"Come back to me" gd

then you get to the end and realise it was a flash forward that the protagonist is timey-wimey bound to live out and savour all the moments that inevitably lead to the their child's death

JFC sci fi tear jerker AF

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Superman destroying the World Engine/Perry comforting Jenny, Man of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

I'm a big sucker for heroic life-or-death struggles, and in this sequence we get two varieties simultaneously: Superman is being crushed by the gravity beam of the World Engine, while Perry, Lombard and Jenny from the Daily Planet are about to be killed by its counterpart in Metropolis.

Superman is of course struggling mightily against the immense force pressing down against him, but all of the pathos comes from the action in Metropolis as Perry and Lombard try to free Jenny from the rubble. It becomes clear that they won't be able to pry her free before the next wave crushes them, and in an act of supreme empathy and humanity Perry turns and holds her hand, comforting her in what they are both sure are their final moments alive.

And though they're separated by a world, this simple act of compassion seems to inspire and empower Superman to break through the withering force of the gravity wave and destroy the World Engine, and that's when the water works start.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

For me it's the end of the Last of the Mohicans, which is absolutely due to the music choice.
Pretty much everything starting with Duncan offering himself in place of Cora and "tricking" Hawkeye, the music picking up, the mercy kill, then the chase up the mountain... it's just amazing and I get chills every time.

Edit:
pretty much this entire clip, except it skips the part where Duncan (Red head guy) sacrifices himself (and not translating what Hawkeye tells him) instead of Cora and Hawkeye not realizing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kksVR141Kw

I haven't watched this movie in so long, Michael Mann just knows exactly how to slay when he needs to

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Bill Murray futilely trying to save the old homeless man in Groundhog Day is a major tearjerker. It’s also critical to his transformation in the movie because it’s when he realizes he isn’t God, or even a god, in spite of his speech in the diner earlier in the movie.

Jestery posted:

Arrival spoilers:
then you get to the end and realise it was a flash forward that the protagonist is timey-wimey bound to live out and savour all the moments that inevitably lead to the their child's death

Yeah, agreed.

The author of the original story, Ted Chiang, is great. I intensely recommend “Anxiety is the Dizziness of Freedom.”

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I read his short stories and was blown away by the tower of babel

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

John Coffey's execution.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could honestly put the entirety of 1917 on the list, but for me it's that final run followed by Will just slowly coming down from the emotional peak to finally rest beneath a tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCo-3pw52o

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQht2yOX9Js

as much for his emotional ark in the movie as for the need for someone to have told me this years ago so it didn't take until my mid 30's to realize it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jestery posted:

I finally saw the ending of that movie a few days ago.

So like, she knows that she's going to have a kid with Renner and the kid is going to die and Renner leaves her? Still? Or have things somehow changed now?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
:rice:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I finally saw the ending of that movie a few days ago.

So like, she knows that she's going to have a kid with Renner and the kid is going to die and Renner leaves her? Still? Or have things somehow changed now?
He left her because she knew their kid was going to die and didn’t tell him.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
https://youtu.be/DBDuvCYplu0

The end of Hero when Jet Li dies.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
The last 7 minutes of Last of the Mohicans. The combination of the music, the acting, and the landscape are just incredible. So much emotion conveyed without a single line of dialogue. They don't make 'em like that any more...

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

samcarsten posted:

i remember being like, 11 and crying really hard to the end of the weird Spielburg film AI.

AI was actually a p good movie. The sad part for me is when his 'mother' gets rid of him. He did a good job of selling that.

Not a film so much but this gets me every time. Has since I was a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efW7buQYQMg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zugzwang posted:

He left her because she knew their kid was going to die and didn’t tell him.

I don't understand that because in her flash...forward... she says to her daughter that she told him something he didn't want to hear so he left her. I assumed she told him their daughter was going to die and he couldn't handle being around. She tells her daughter that while she's still alive so he 100% left before she died.

edit: I think I misread what you said. she knew even before the daughter was born and still never said anything

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 14, 2023

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kids are pussies these days.

Not growing up with the trauma of watching a REAL children's movie/show.

Sesame Street all woke and poo poo. Go watch Return to Oz you little bitches.

:cry:

I think the studios just decided to keep inflicting trauma on millennial adults that take their kids to movies, like the first 5 minutes of Up

no I will not link it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Let me check.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHUnPfDvYu8

Yep, still gets me

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Movie that makes me weepy for no reason--Father of the Bride. I watched this at like age 21 and lost my poo poo and didn't know why.

Movie that makes me laugh every time I see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSx0_0YtNKs
it's a classic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i remember as a kid i cried at some point while watching forrest gump, but i was kind of weird and i don't think it was because i was actually sad but because i had the sense that's what the movie wanted me to do?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

for me it was lt dan throwing that ice cream in the terlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Superman destroying the World Engine/Perry comforting Jenny, Man of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

I'm a big sucker for heroic life-or-death struggles, and in this sequence we get two varieties simultaneously: Superman is being crushed by the gravity beam of the World Engine, while Perry, Lombard and Jenny from the Daily Planet are about to be killed by its counterpart in Metropolis.

Superman is of course struggling mightily against the immense force pressing down against him, but all of the pathos comes from the action in Metropolis as Perry and Lombard try to free Jenny from the rubble. It becomes clear that they won't be able to pry her free before the next wave crushes them, and in an act of supreme empathy and humanity Perry turns and holds her hand, comforting her in what they are both sure are their final moments alive.

And though they're separated by a world, this simple act of compassion seems to inspire and empower Superman to break through the withering force of the gravity wave and destroy the World Engine, and that's when the water works start.

This would have been so meaningful if this version of Superman had even the slightest hint of a personality