Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:same:

Also great that Wallace screaming Freedom was the last thing the king heard before he croaked.

edit: not related to movies but since it's St. Patty's Day +1, I saw this a few years ago and cried. The Dropkick Murphy's show up at the house of a child with cancer he wasn't able to go outside so they played a little show for him.

:unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3qWS-Ja1jg

that makes me smile, not cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that makes me smile, not cry

I get teary eyed with stuff like this all the time.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Someone mentioned Ponyo and pretty much all Miyazaki movies make my eyes wet and my chest tight and I dont know why. Totoro especially turns me into a mess.

Totoro was a non-starter for me, but I think it was spoiled for me, like people had built it up a whole lot and being mentioned in the same breath as Princess Monoke. So I was expecting a lot more than it delivered. But I was just wrong in expecting more.

I liked it enough, it just did not have enough meat on the bones for me, like the whole thing kinda felt like the preamble to an act that never happened, it was lovely and sweet, and the whole dualism of perception, adult and child was really cool. A perfectly lovely little movie

Would watch it happily with a kid though, that would be a riot and a half

Laputa is pretty cool, Nausicaa aswell

Growing up there was a miazaki month thing on tv so I got to watch a bunch

That lupin movie miazaki helped with is also a blast, but I'm getting off thread

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Princess Monoke is good as hell

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Treecko posted:

Princess Monoke is good as hell

:hellyeah:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Jestery posted:

Totoro was a non-starter for me, but I think it was spoiled for me, like people had built it up a whole lot and being mentioned in the same breath as Princess Monoke. So I was expecting a lot more than it delivered. But I was just wrong in expecting more.

I liked it enough, it just did not have enough meat on the bones for me, like the whole thing kinda felt like the preamble to an act that never happened, it was lovely and sweet, and the whole dualism of perception, adult and child was really cool. A perfectly lovely little movie

Would watch it happily with a kid though, that would be a riot and a half

Watching my daughter watch Totoro for the first time when she was 3 was awesome. When he does his big ROOAAAAARRRR and his mouth gets huge, she was scared for a split second then erupted in laughter. And after seeing the movie she started doing big gestures at trees to make them grow :3:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

the scene where Rob (Nicolas Cage) prepares and serves dinner in Pig

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When the jock agrees to kiss the drama gay

https://youtu.be/3_FxR4UkgmA

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Four Weddings and a Funeral when John Hannah gives the speech at the funeral and his voice cracks

Neverending Story. As a kid, of course Artax's death hit hard. I rewatched it as an adult and I think the Rockbiter's despair was worse. It's maybe more of an adult fear, that feeling of worthlessness.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh yeah the rockbiter scene is perfect, no notes. He's not just strong, he's children's book strong. He's the strongest thing there is, he is strength itself. There's no question that he can protect everybody, and then all of a sudden he can't protect anybody

Seeing him like that is like seeing your dad cry for the first time

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Can't find a good clip of it, but the ending of Black Caesar starring Fred Williamson. The whole movie is a really great tragic character study, and the ending where he gets beaten to death by a gang of kids is a poignant bookend with the opening scene where he's a kid helping a mobster murder an older guy. Also it's a really great time capsule of old NYC, and the soundtrack with James Brown is fantastic.

Didn't see this posted yet, so might as well rip the bandaid off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0R9kEnu4zo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

Oh yeah the rockbiter scene is perfect, no notes. He's not just strong, he's children's book strong. He's the strongest thing there is, he is strength itself. There's no question that he can protect everybody, and then all of a sudden he can't protect anybody

Seeing him like that is like seeing your dad cry for the first time
That scene never quite hit for me because I saw it well after any illusion I had of my "dad" being strong was dispelled. Like "oh yeah sometimes big strong dudes fail yeah" was how 8 year-old me parsed that one. I get what you mean though, that must be devastating for a little kid.

Artax on the other hand.... goddamn yeah losing a companion/pet/friend is just the worst.

Ralph Hurley posted:

Watching my daughter watch Totoro for the first time when she was 3 was awesome. When he does his big ROOAAAAARRRR and his mouth gets huge, she was scared for a split second then erupted in laughter. And after seeing the movie she started doing big gestures at trees to make them grow :3:

Yeah Totoro is a very light truffle of a movie with just enough heft around the edges for adults, but is still something you watch when you're either ultra-young or old as poo poo and looking to remember what childlike logic is. Not quite
a cry movie but the anxieties the kids have about their sick mom are on-point for how really small ones process that kind-of topic and might hit you harder.

-----------------------------------------

Watching it last night, one movie that surprisingly didn't make me cry despite hitting on some really heavy poo poo was 2019's Shazam! The sequel looks disappointingly middling, but the original was shockingly authentic and full. The scene where Billy finally hunts down his birthmother is played just, note-perfect, in that way where it's so heavy you want to cry but can't.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's HBO so basically a movie:

Where's Wallace, String?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I won't watch or read Never Let Me Go because I know the summary and it may destroy me.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I think a lot of folks forgot about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but after going through a few heart breaks that movie will wreck me now. Every time Kate Winslet whispers “meet me in montauk.” Fuckkkk

There are a handful of moments in this movie that stick with me. When he's figured out that he can't win, that he will lose all these memories, and he's begging to just keep the one memory of goofing off in bed with Clementine. It nails that bittersweet feeling of a happy memory of someone you've lost.

Also, the part where he gets peer pressured into killing a bird as a child then feels ashamed about it. It transports me back to how hard it felt to be a kid, especially when I felt shame or guilt about something. I try to remember those feelings when I'm mad at my kids for whatever stupid poo poo they do.

The music in that movie is also incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXYgEiDnuzA

Yates posted:

John Coffey's execution.

Heaven, I'm in heaven... I can't watch that poo poo, it's too sad man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When Claire Danes confesses her love to mouse

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The ending of Only The Brave.

I saw it on TV having never heard of it but I wanted to be a wildland firefighter (no way I could have done that) and the cast is great. I was bawling like a child. I saw it a year or two ago.

The fact that it's a true story makes it even more sad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Buttchocks posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, so might as well rip the bandaid off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0R9kEnu4zo

I rediscovered this movie when I became a dad and it's such a drat good movie.

the recent sequel, i do not care for

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEL2JxtZLlc

Always loved this as a kid.
Love the slow build up in music and tension.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The end of Midnight Cowboy will do it for me, Christ that’s a powerful film.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lambert the Lion

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sometimes I don't even need to get into the show proper: the introduction sequences can do it for me.

True Detective SE01, Wallander, and when it was new and novel House

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Treecko posted:

Lambert the Lion

He loved his momma so much ;_;

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oh, ok weird not exactly crying, but definitely the bit where Oscar Isaacs returns to the house in Annihilation, I can't help but have my heart jump with joy when they I initially reunite and then whiplash to a visceral sense of unsettling horror to the deflection (?) Of Portman's line of questioning

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Jestery posted:

Oh, ok weird not exactly crying, but definitely the bit where Oscar Isaacs returns to the house in Annihilation, I can't help but have my heart jump with joy when they I initially reunite and then whiplash to a visceral sense of unsettling horror to the deflection (?) Of Portman's line of questioning

The music is beautiful on its own but the context makes it even better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Do you trust me?"
"If you trust me first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Stand By Me. Just Wil Wheaton watching River Phoenix walking away, along with the narration of what happened to him later in life, sets me off every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX74H9IuYdM

I can't find a clip of it, but the end of Paddleton when Michael dies in Andy's arms.