Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BOOYAKA BOOYAKA
JOBBER CHAMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

-featured seven title defenses, the highest rated being a match against Randy Orton on SmackDown! (***3/4)

-featured at least four title defenses, the highest rated being a five-star affair (twice) - once against Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions #6, the second being...
-lost to Ric Flair at WrestleWar '89

Gonna watch these 3 matches and get back to you with my decision

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Just popped on that smackdown, 2006 undertaker was looking rough jesus christ

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i will not be voting against ricky steamboat those two matches are still amazing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rey Mysterio's reign is a textbook example on how not to book a champion.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
Easiest decision ever. Rey’s reign was one of the worst I had ever seen and really soured my opinion on WWE….well, worse than it already was by that point.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

One of the best series of matches ever vs. Literally booked as Loser Fuckface Nerd except as a babyface

Hard choice

bartok
May 10, 2006

Chi-Town Rumble was the first wrestling video I rented as a kid so I had to vote Steamboat.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao start of this match and there's a big sign right on the hard cam that says THATS REY, NOT EDDIE. Cut to eddie chants and fans holding up the memorial t-shirt. This was so weird

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reminder that Rey didn’t even pin the champ for his reign, he pinned Orton.

At least he got to hit the 619 and West Coast Pop. They could have had him win by roll up.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Dad and son in the front row wearing matching rey masks. Heartwarming. Dude who looks like a thin demoniusx with a stupid hat sitting with his arms folded. Orton dropkicked Rey to the outside and then it went to a commercial break

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
That was loving rubbish lmao. Will save the steamboat matches for tomorrow

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

they still hold up, god steamboat was so good

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

all three are still really good and feel super modern.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rey :smith:

At least he gets to beat his kid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

-lost to Ric Flair at WrestleWar '89

This is the first non-WWF wrestling show I can ever remember watching and the Flair/Steamboat match absolutely blew me away - The Playboy vs. The Family man! Incredible stuff. Easy vote for Steamboat, I wish Rey's title reign hadn't been so lovely so it could at least have given me the mildest pause before voting for Steamboat. Alas.

Edit: Has anybody got that promo photo (I think for Wrestle War, maybe another show?) where Flair and Steamboat are facing off and lil' babby Steamboat is clutching fearfully to his daddy's leg? :3:

Edit Edit: Found it! It was Clash of Champions!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 28, 2023

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

The way the photos are arranged it looks like Steamboat is going for a Mortal Kombat 3 vs screen pose or Flair has gotten him with the Vulcan nerve pinch.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Watching wrestlewar 89. Why the gently caress do wrestlers not come out with 40 ladies lining the ramp any more

e:Like they haven't even locked up yet and this match rules

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry had to have my tea in the middle of the match last night. Finished it this morning and it was a banger. Sorry rey

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The follow-up to the post-match angle between Flair and Funk leads to another absolutely loving incredible match too.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Like I'm not a crusty old bastard who says everything has to be like the old days and wrestlers should be suspended for top rope moves but like that match just felt massive. Having judges on the outside and all that. Like I've never seen this match and haven't followed this feud but just the pre match promo and the walks to the ring and I instantly know that this match is seismically big

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ric has 4 pretty much prefect big matches in a row, he was on fire at that time.

the sex ghost posted:

Like I'm not a crusty old bastard who says everything has to be like the old days and wrestlers should be suspended for top rope moves but like that match just felt massive. Having judges on the outside and all that. Like I've never seen this match and haven't followed this feud but just the pre match promo and the walks to the ring and I instantly know that this match is seismically big

i agree some of the pomp is missing

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
By unanimous decision, we have our first upset! Ricky Steamboat's reign, a 10-seed under March Madness seeding, advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Sheamus' sole World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign vs. Sting's fourth WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign

Sheamus' sole World Heavyweight Championship (WWE) reign:
-won from Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXVIII
-lasted 210 days
-featured eight title defenses, the highest rated being a 2/3 falls match against Daniel Bryan at Extreme Rules '12 (****)
-lost against the Big Show at Hell in a Cell '12

Sting's fourth WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign:
-won vacant title against Hollywood Hogan at SuperBrawl VIII
-lasted 56 days
-featured at least seven title defenses, the highest rated being a match against Diamond Dallas Page on Nitro (***1/4)
-lost to Randy Savage in a no disqualification match at Spring Stampede '98

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

18 seconds or Hogan's worst politicking. Which is worse? I guess in this case I want Sheamus.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can they both lose?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Crap, I meant to vote for Sheamus. The way he won sucked but the 2/3 Falls match with Bryan and the match he lost the title against Big Show were both really good.

Insert the never ending series between Sheamus and ADR where Sheamus gets happier as Alberto just keeps getting more sad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGx2NOmmMg&t=2s

Sheamus' title reigns just fall into a gaping hole of white noise in my memory.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Hoss Corncave posted:

The way the photos are arranged it looks like Steamboat is going for a Mortal Kombat 3 vs screen pose or Flair has gotten him with the Vulcan nerve pinch.

See have always felt like this looked like. King of Fighters Order Select screen

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Insert the never ending series between Sheamus and ADR where Sheamus gets happier as Alberto just keeps getting more sad

Remember that time he stole Del Rio's car and pooped in it?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

… I do not.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gavok posted:

The man poo poo his pants driving and tried to play it off like he was the cool one

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The man poo poo his pants driving and tried to play it off like he was the cool one

It's a shameful thing.

He stole Del Rio's car early in an episode of Smackdown, then drove it back later and said that there was a mess in there because he ate too much Mexican food.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its a shame to say im voting for shameus

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Suplex Liberace posted:

He's lobster head :baduk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

He's lobster head :baduk:

Too many limes. Too many limes..... :negative:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Suplex Liberace posted:

ditto.

I just wish that Sting reign had more of an impact instead being a step above a belt pillow.

But both options suck.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
If nothing else, the 18 second match more or less directly launched Bryan's massive popularity, which forced them into treating him like a big star despite themselves.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah that did way more damage to Sheamus' credibility.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to be interested to find out which Big Gold Belt Reign was the Best in this Tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Six month reign is worse than 56 days? Four star dbry match? This should be a bigger blowout.