Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ah dang this is gonna be tough, I recall playing this at release, so many issues. There was a neat defect in the character creation screen that I can't remember how to do but you could max every character stat. It doesn't help when you will inevitably fall through the world, or get lost in some horrid 3d maze of a dungeon, but have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 3)

We've got one last part for the Betony demo that should be released sometime tomorrow.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, I would kind of kill for a Daggerfall remake at this point. Just... all the potential this game had, and almost succeeded at delivering on too. Only the bugs and the terrible dungeon design kept it back.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I would kind of kill for a Daggerfall remake at this point. Just... all the potential this game had, and almost succeeded at delivering on too. Only the bugs and the terrible dungeon design kept it back.
I agree, though I'll note that if they do a remake beyond simple "compatibility/bug-fix for modern systems", doing so would likely require cutting out a LOT of Daggerfall's size. Daggerfall claims to have 15,000 locations (cities, dungeons, temples, towns) spread among 41 different 'regions', which means that on average, a single region in Daggerfall has 366 locations. By comparison, the Internet tells me that the clickable 'map' locations in Skyrim number 338. So it's just not feasible for a Daggerfall remake where they keep the same enormous size but also bring it up to modern standards of graphics/quality/etc.

If a remake ever happens, I suspect it would be something akin to FF7 Remake, where it's basically a brand new game. Eliminate the vast majority of the towns/dungeons, refocus on the main storyline, develop NPC's into true individuals with personalities, add a few cutscenes, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

MagusofStars posted:

I agree, though I'll note that if they do a remake beyond simple "compatibility/bug-fix for modern systems", doing so would likely require cutting out a LOT of Daggerfall's size. Daggerfall claims to have 15,000 locations (cities, dungeons, temples, towns) spread among 41 different 'regions', which means that on average, a single region in Daggerfall has 366 locations. By comparison, the Internet tells me that the clickable 'map' locations in Skyrim number 338. So it's just not feasible for a Daggerfall remake where they keep the same enormous size but also bring it up to modern standards of graphics/quality/etc.

If a remake ever happens, I suspect it would be something akin to FF7 Remake, where it's basically a brand new game. Eliminate the vast majority of the towns/dungeons, refocus on the main storyline, develop NPC's into true individuals with personalities, add a few cutscenes, etc.

I mean it wouldn't have to have Skyrim's fidelity. I don't really care about those parts. Make it lo-fi, have it run on sprites, poo poo, make it an isometric RPG or something that can more easily re-use sprites and backgrounds and stuff. The whole first person combat bullshit has always been a weight around the Elder Scrolls series' neck.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 4)

This is the last part for the Betony demo. Next week we'll be getting into the main game of Daggerfall. Like I mentioned, we'll be selecting our skills randomly, so I'll be separating character creation out into a separate video which will come out at the same time as the first episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

I hear Daggerfall Unity fixes a lot of the bugs because it's not derived directly from the original game's source. I assume it also has many quality of life improvements. It might be the closest we get to a remake at scale. In a later post you mentioned doing a remake, but isometric. While it's out of character for a mainline release to not be in first person, I'd play Elder Scrolls: The Baldur's Gate edition any time.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

-Not sure why everybody in towns suddenly hates Tony's guts. Given the way Daggerfall works, 50% chance it was intentional due to you completing the quest and 50% chance it's straight up bugged.
-The bank said you could loan 100,000 which I'm assuming is a special demo thing because that seems like a bafflingly large amount for someone who hasn't done anything except (apparently) piss everybody off.
-You mentioned the farms inside the Castle walls and that actually wasn't unheard of in larger castles. Not huge farms of course, but grassed areas with a few crops was useful to help feed the animals in the stables and also help the castle hold out a little longer against a siege.
-Glad we're done with the demo and getting to the real meat of the game. Really interested to see how many times you die in the first dungeon because that's a key part of the Authentic Daggerfall Experience (tm).

rojovision posted:

I hear Daggerfall Unity fixes a lot of the bugs because it's not derived directly from the original game's source. I assume it also has many quality of life improvements. It might be the closest we get to a remake at scale. In a later post you mentioned doing a remake, but isometric. While it's out of character for a mainline release to not be in first person, I'd play Elder Scrolls: The Baldur's Gate edition any time.
I haven't played it, but skimming some YouTube VODs very quickly, Daggerfall Unity looks surprisingly decent and seems to have fixed a decent amount of the jank.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I haven't played it, but skimming some YouTube VODs very quickly, Daggerfall Unity looks surprisingly decent and seems to have fixed a decent amount of the jank.
I can definitely recommend it: despite being basically a remake due to the completely different engine, it plays very much like the original except with additional bug fixes and support for modern hardware. On top of that it also supports mods and there are some configurable options including altering the maximum size of the randomly generated dungeons so that they aren't an architectural nightmare like in the original.
Or you can always crank that setting up to eleven if the original random generation just wasn't painful enough. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

radintorov posted:

altering the maximum size of the randomly generated dungeons so that they aren't an architectural nightmare like in the original.

Holy poo poo.

The thing the loving game needed more than anything.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Holy poo poo.

The thing the loving game needed more than anything.
Yup, it basically makes it so the random generator will keep the size of a dungeon to a more manageable level: it only affects regular generated dungeons, naturally smaller ones like graveyards will still be generated following their normal rules.
Also I made a mistake in my previous post: I said it was possible to increase the maximum size, but looking it up I completely misremembered that. You can only reduce the dungeon max size, which is done via a toggle option in the main ini file.
More info on this feature https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=1689

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For selling, you want a pawn shop, which will buy the vast majority of your poo poo. Also the little blurb you read when you enter a store determines the store quality and therefore the prices. High-end shops are better hagglers, sell to the guys who have rats in the corner.

Edit: also for the free Inn room thing I think it's not for the inns specifically inside towns but those either those that are individually placed on the map, or maybe the ones you use when fast travelling. (it's been a few years)

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 10, 2023

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I know that the full game's character creation will be handled by randomly picking skills, but will the advantages and disadvantages then be tailored to that? Like if you roll Long Blade as a major skill, will you take Good At Long Blades as an advantage? As much a pile of broken nonsense as this game can be, in both the "game balance" and "functioning program" senses of the phrase, and you throwing RNG on your build on top of that, I figure giving yourself at least a little leeway will be helpful. This is going to be rough enough without having to risk RNG saying "yes I know you have Archery as a major skill, you're not allowed to use bows anyway."

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

For selling, you want a pawn shop, which will buy the vast majority of your poo poo. Also the little blurb you read when you enter a store determines the store quality and therefore the prices. High-end shops are better hagglers, sell to the guys who have rats in the corner.

Edit: also for the free Inn room thing I think it's not for the inns specifically inside towns but those either those that are individually placed on the map, or maybe the ones you use when fast travelling. (it's been a few years)

Good to know, thanks.

MechaCrash posted:

I know that the full game's character creation will be handled by randomly picking skills, but will the advantages and disadvantages then be tailored to that? Like if you roll Long Blade as a major skill, will you take Good At Long Blades as an advantage? As much a pile of broken nonsense as this game can be, in both the "game balance" and "functioning program" senses of the phrase, and you throwing RNG on your build on top of that, I figure giving yourself at least a little leeway will be helpful. This is going to be rough enough without having to risk RNG saying "yes I know you have Archery as a major skill, you're not allowed to use bows anyway."

I'll explain how things work in the character creation video, but the short version is only the skills are random. Advantages / disadvantages will be picked once we've rolled our skills and gotten a sense of what kind of character we've got.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
A pro char creation tip is that Personality is not a dump stat. If you set it too low then you'll be so annoying that guards will start trying to arrest you on trumped up "criminal conspiracy" charges.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Arcvasti posted:

A pro char creation tip is that Personality is not a dump stat. If you set it too low then you'll be so annoying that guards will start trying to arrest you on trumped up "criminal conspiracy" charges.

Haha, that's interesting. I've already created the character, though. First episode and the character creation video will be up this week, probably on Friday.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Arcvasti posted:

It will also be impossible to get anywhere, because you have to ask NPCs for directions and information and if your Personality is too low they just tell you to gently caress off and it takes forever to badger someone into actually answering your questions.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Character Creation - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 1

Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 1

Calamitous_Justice
Feb 21, 2011
This build is going to be just delightful to watch.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This is an interesting character roleplay-wise. A magic and linguistics nerd polyglot cat who was forced to pick up a couple of weapons for emergencies but mostly tends to run and hide or slap people. Except when faced with some of the more dangerous enemies in the game, when we would rather trot over to say hello and try to chat to them. No thief skills despite being a khajiit, so we're honest, at least. Or incompetent. Our backstory suggests the latter.

I get the feeling our cat is kind of stupid.

As for how we'll play in-game, well, we'll have to see. :allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's been long enough that I don't have much useful, concrete advice but I'm... 90% sure this build is going to go really badly. loving Nymphish? We aren't going to survive long enough to level high enough to meet Nymphs.

Disease is the kind of thing you can ignore 99% of the time until you really, really can't. There's a span of time between contracting a disease and noticing a disease, based off INT or Medical or something. This leads to things like trying to fast travel and then just dying on arrival because you didn't know you had Cholera yet. Or contracting plague from a rat in the middle of a dungeon and desperately trying to find your way out before your insides melt.

Daggerfall drinking game: watch a lovely budget fantasy movie and take a shot every time you recognise a stock sound effect that's also used in Daggerfall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Daggerfall is one of my all-time favourite games. It's janky, it has early to mid DOS game sensibilities, it's vast but empty... But I love it. I am a loving NUT for this game, holy poo poo.

I was obsessed with the Betony demo that I got from PC Gamer back in the day, and Daggerfall was probably my first full game I ever owned (had a poo poo load of shareware, though). I still have the manual, though the box is long gone.

Setting out on an adventure in the snow with that music, truly feeling that you were living in that world... I know looking back it's very empty, but at the time, there was nothing else like it (I never played Ultima 7, but yeah yeah, I know).

I haven't been able to watch any of this LP yet but I'll catch up soon. Major kudos and/or sympathies for even attempting a vanilla playthrough. I'm not saying you should play modded, but the Unity version is, at its most basic, significantly better without ruining one iota of the intended feel.

Back in 96 or whenever, when I first played it, I wouldn't have known that certain things were broken or bugged or impossible to do. Playing DF Unity is refreshing because it's been tested and tested and tested and fixed and.... You can rest assured that all of the features are rock solid, with the added bonus of many MANY QoL additions for the modern day.

I have to get this going on my Steam deck. Maybe I'll play along with the LP.

Anyway, I'm genuinely curious if you'll be able to finish the original version proper. I know you want to, but the game might have other ideas.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, oh my God. I'm so sorry for you.

I'll totally be following this thread, though.

I love Daggerfall, but also gently caress Daggerfall.

I'm about a month late noticing this thread, but just wanted to echo this.... I'm interested to see where this goes, but oh my, you're in for some pain Rojo!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Daggerfall is kind of rough if you're not playing a character min/maxed to the gills.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mixing Martial Arts - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 2

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I appreciate the enthusiasm for the build so far. We've got a little bit of a slow start, but I think there's a path to victory if my understanding of the game's mechanics is correct.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Even with the patches, there are still plenty of places you can poke your head through the wall or ceiling and say hello to the void, but they do stop you falling through.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

rojovision posted:

I appreciate the enthusiasm for the build so far. We've got a little bit of a slow start, but I think there's a path to victory if my understanding of the game's mechanics is correct.

I started up a playthrough (Daggerfall Unity) in solidarity (never played it back in the day, Morrowind was my entry point) and I was feeling pretty bad about how often I was dying in that first dungeon...until I watched your video.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If you out-of-bounds again, Alt+F11 should bring you back in-bounds on the latest official patch.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rojovision posted:

ulmont posted:

I started up a playthrough (Daggerfall Unity) in solidarity (never played it back in the day, Morrowind was my entry point) and I was feeling pretty bad about how often I was dying in that first dungeon...until I watched your video.
Dying multiple times in the first dungeon is a Daggerfall rite of passage. No matter how optimized your build is, you're gonna loving die in Privateer's Hold and that's that. I am fairly convinced that every single person who's ever installed the game died on their very first playthrough to that Imp right near the start - the door is right there so of course you open it and bam, there goes half your health in one cast and also wait is my weapon not doing damage.

It's not a coincidence that Morrowind's tutorial was the exact opposite - letting you start in town and then even delay the clearly indicated 'starter' dungeon nearby if you don't feel ready for a deep dive.

To address some stuff you talked about :
-The save vs spell for Shock means it did half damage. I think there was at least once where you saved against an Imp's shock too.
-Chameleon is Invisibility that only works when standing still. It's exactly as meh whatever as that description implies.
-You were correct about the numbers for Dodging, it's Skill/4% penalty on your to-hit roll. Presumably, this was intended to subtract from the opponent's to-hit roll instead but got typoed.
-Did you try clicking on the level button in the leveling screen? I think you can click on that to get an update on your progress to the next level, but I might be misremembering.
-Better material types include a to-hit and damage bonus, so finding that Elven Saber now is pretty nice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Are there any mods, debug commands, or anything else to make in town travel not suck?

Getting really tired of running across Daggerfall city four times a quest.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Civilization at Last - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 3

I mentioned a bit about the tutorial in this one. I didn't realize it at the time of recording, but after going back and checking the footage from episode 1, I see that I accidentally cancelled it. I was going to show it off, but oh well. It doesn't show anything that we haven't more or less seen or figured out from the Betony demo as far as I recall.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 29, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

If you out-of-bounds again, Alt+F11 should bring you back in-bounds on the latest official patch.

Good info, thanks.

ulmont posted:

It does feel a little bad to get worked over by bats of all things.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From the inventory screen, if you select USE and click clothes you're wearing, some of them change. IIRC it mostly makes cloaks raise/lower the hood, but it might reverse a reversible shirt.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

3 gold balls is the real world ye olde sign for a pawn shop

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I checked out a wiki for this game and the balance does indeed seem interesting to say the least. That said, I do like how the game introduces the story you get a supernatural event and political intrigue to start you off. I don't know if the story will deliver, but the concept of having both a supernatural event and a more down to earth political intrigue is a good hook at least. I'm less amused at the game dropping you off in a death-trap to start off the gameplay.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The starter dungeon can be nasty but it's much much less difficult when you haven't accidentally max-min'd yourself.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Getting a weapon skill as a minor instead of primary skill and dodge as a primary instead of misc skill will cost you about 20 percentile points chance to hit if I understood the game right. If your chance to hit is something low like 40%, that 20 percentile point drop would halve your chance to hit and it did look to me like you don't hit that often early on. Well, at least the dungeon is still doable with a poor build.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Letter Leads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

From the inventory screen, if you select USE and click clothes you're wearing, some of them change. IIRC it mostly makes cloaks raise/lower the hood, but it might reverse a reversible shirt.

That's interesting. A small detail, but a pretty cool one.

Cool, I hadn't seen those before, but it's a fun bit of trivia.