Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) congrats on escaping the plague, you probably got it from one of the fourty bats/rats you punched

2) lighter dots on the map are larger & more populated

3) if you click on buildings in Look mode you get what store it is and the working hours

4) the Fighters' Guild is open I think 11-11, but once you hit a high enough rank it's open 24/7

5) if you find a townsfolk who gives you directions don't be afraid of asking again, some of them will mark it on the map for you, usually when I hit a town for the first time I interrogate the closest pedestrians until all the shops/guilds are filled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I finally started watching these videos and at the beginning of your first one, you state that the 'theme song' wasn't in the game proper. Am I crazy for remembering that it was? I mean.. The only explanation I have is that I've played DF Unity more recently than the original, which likely put it there if it wasn't there originally, but I don't recall having any moments of "uhhhh.... this is new"...

.... Except for the shop theme. The one I remember from playing originally was this, played in literally EVERY shop (this is one using much better sound fonts but the theme remains the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_iXrGxKHyM

But when I played the DF Unity version, while I still hear that version, I also get this track from shops, which is weird, since I had never heard it originally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfQHonN2akM

Anyway, loving the videos so far. I might ask Gavin Clayton, the DF Unity guy, about the theme song.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm double posting because this is important.

Now, I'm only on episode 3, so you might have already learned this, BUT....

When you fast travel to a dungeon, you are always initially facing directly towards the dungeon door.

This is important because you'll inevitably encounter heavy foliage, tons of fog, or even rubble, and there's never a map.

Just walk forward. It's there. The game might randomly place you on a different side of the door, but you'll always be facing it when you arrive from fast travel.

If you didn't know it already, then this information will have saved you much frustration and time.

Edit because I'm not going to triple post:

Pro-tip 2: when asking villagers for directions, if they know where something is, keep spamming the button that asks them about it until they write it on your map.

Essentially, it's random whether a given villager is going to know where <local place> is. And when they DO know, they have like 5-6 different ways of describing the directions to you, one of which involves writing the name of the place where it is on your map. It's easy to spam the ask button because whenever they DO write it on your map, the word 'map' is, I think, always the last word in their little dialogue, making it easier to spot.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 4, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Getting Political

A minor note about when we talk about some of the Daggerfall history and lineage - the people with a "d." near their names are in fact dead, otherwise they're alive. I just wasn't paying attention when I was talking about it and looking at the chart.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks for the tips.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I finally started watching these videos and at the beginning of your first one, you state that the 'theme song' wasn't in the game proper. Am I crazy for remembering that it was? I mean.. The only explanation I have is that I've played DF Unity more recently than the original, which likely put it there if it wasn't there originally, but I don't recall having any moments of "uhhhh.... this is new"...
:words:

While I can't say regarding the shop music, I looked through the game files from my disc and the "theme" doesn't seem to exist in the music folder. You can listen to all the songs using a tool like Daggerfall Jukebox. I know it's probably distracting with me talking, but if you go back to the very first episode, you'll hear that there's actually no music on the main menu. There's also no music in the character creation video. The absence of music is a bit conspicuous since Arena had music for both the title and character creation screens.

The song you're thinking of does exist in the preview demo (link in the main post) - it's played on the title screen, and I dedicated a section at the end of the video to play it without me talking. It's possible that I missed something in the main game files, and that the song does show up somewhere. I'll be sure to point it out if it happens.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 6, 2023

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

That song along with a few others didn't make it to the final game. They were released as previews along with being in the demo.

They are on the UESP in DF_MID.zip, that specific track is DAG_3.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files#Information_and_Data_Files

PolarPear fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 6, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's interesting watching you actually take a stab at the Main Plot, I was uhhhh eight when Daggerfall came out and never really gave a poo poo about whatever all these Lords were talking about. I'd inevitably get lost in a dungeon for a month and end up missing out on a deadline, assuming some plot flag didn't bug out on me. (Also I was scared of the King's Ghost in Daggerfall) so mostly I noodled around until my save inevitably glitched beyond repair.

That said, horseback is slightly faster than maximum running speed (ie Speed and Running both at 100) but horses have infinite stamina. Carts are slower than horses and can't jump, but still fairly speedy with again, infinite stamina.
I think you can check MP by clicking your INT on the status screen.

Also if you fast travel to your current location and choose "Cautiously", I believe it will fully heal you, and8 advance the clock by one minute (during the day) or to the next morning (at night). So that might save you some rest time.

I Strongly Recommend you purchase/create the Recall spell, putting an anchor right inside a dungeon entrance will absolutely save your bacon

Also when you're selling, don't click the wagon image click the button that says wagon, that's how you sell your wagon poo poo.

(Also I hope I'm not coming across as backseat-y or anything, I like Daggerfall a lot but have nothing to contribute plot-wise so I'm just unearthing long repressed memories of all the absurd mechanics)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Daggerfall: "Excuse the gloom but none may know of this unmodded LP...."

Edit: just watched the latest episode. The Wrothgarian Mountains are so vast that there are different regions to zoom in on. When you searched, the red lines were pointing to something off-screen, I believe to the east. You can zoom out and click on different areas and search again, and you should see where the lines meet up. There are also arrows on the map HUD that let you quickly jump between zoomed in regions. I believe literally every other province/area just has one section, but them mountains gotta be different.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 8, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Search for Nulfaga

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

It's interesting watching you actually take a stab at the Main Plot, I was uhhhh eight when Daggerfall came out and never really gave a poo poo about whatever all these Lords were talking about. I'd inevitably get lost in a dungeon for a month and end up missing out on a deadline, assuming some plot flag didn't bug out on me. (Also I was scared of the King's Ghost in Daggerfall) so mostly I noodled around until my save inevitably glitched beyond repair.

That said, horseback is slightly faster than maximum running speed (ie Speed and Running both at 100) but horses have infinite stamina. Carts are slower than horses and can't jump, but still fairly speedy with again, infinite stamina.
I think you can check MP by clicking your INT on the status screen.

Also if you fast travel to your current location and choose "Cautiously", I believe it will fully heal you, and8 advance the clock by one minute (during the day) or to the next morning (at night). So that might save you some rest time.

I Strongly Recommend you purchase/create the Recall spell, putting an anchor right inside a dungeon entrance will absolutely save your bacon

Also when you're selling, don't click the wagon image click the button that says wagon, that's how you sell your wagon poo poo.

(Also I hope I'm not coming across as backseat-y or anything, I like Daggerfall a lot but have nothing to contribute plot-wise so I'm just unearthing long repressed memories of all the absurd mechanics)

No worries. While I did some research about a few specific game mechanics, there's a lot to know, especially when it comes to quality of life stuff.

Daggerfall: "Excuse the gloom but none may know of this unmodded LP...."

Edit: just watched the latest episode. The Wrothgarian Mountains are so vast that there are different regions to zoom in on. When you searched, the red lines were pointing to something off-screen, I believe to the east. You can zoom out and click on different areas and search again, and you should see where the lines meet up. There are also arrows on the map HUD that let you quickly jump between zoomed in regions. I believe literally every other province/area just has one section, but them mountains gotta be different.

Interesting. I'll have to try that out once we're out of the dungeon.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Honeymoon's Over

There will be another video on Saturday. Turns out Shedungent is huge and I'd prefer not to spend three full weeks of videos in it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rojovision posted:

Episode 7 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Honeymoon's Over

There will be another video on Saturday. Turns out Shedungent is huge and I'd prefer not to spend three full weeks of videos in it.

No complaints on this end; I binge'd the first 3-4 episodes and it turns out that while I don't usually enjoy LPs, ones that a) are about classic games I love and b) are done by goons are my weakness.

I'm hooked.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm not commenting a lot here because I'm having trouble keeping up with the videos as they come out, but I want to say I'm watching along and still interested!

Also as a late reply: "rounds" in pre-3e D&D are a minute each and turns are ten minutes, since it's assumed each "round," while containing only one opportunity for an attack or spell, contains a lot of parrying, dodging, buying distance, getting in close, etc. before said opportunity pops up.

Edit: On a note about training apparently not improving your skills, it seems the mechanic behind training isn't that it gives a flat boost to your skill, but instead that it's equal to 15 uses of your skill by yourself, and as you get better at a skill it takes more uses for it to actually get improved by use(the breakpoint seems to be every 15 percentage points of skill).

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 12, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Undead Party Pack

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not commenting a lot here because I'm having trouble keeping up with the videos as they come out, but I want to say I'm watching along and still interested!

Also as a late reply: "rounds" in pre-3e D&D are a minute each and turns are ten minutes, since it's assumed each "round," while containing only one opportunity for an attack or spell, contains a lot of parrying, dodging, buying distance, getting in close, etc. before said opportunity pops up.

Edit: On a note about training apparently not improving your skills, it seems the mechanic behind training isn't that it gives a flat boost to your skill, but instead that it's equal to 15 uses of your skill by yourself, and as you get better at a skill it takes more uses for it to actually get improved by use(the breakpoint seems to be every 15 percentage points of skill).

Good to know about the training / pre 3.0 time refresher.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Grandma's Bad Company

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You handled finding Nulfaga and the zombies way better than I ever did. I love this LP.

Also, 28 total gold for literally saving someone's life.... You're paid better for ending them, honestly. Though I'm sure your rep in the region increased greatly.

Oh, that's another thing, iirc, your rep is only for whatever region you're in. So, if you leave Daggerfall (the region, not just the city), you can cause a bunch of poo poo in, say, Tulune, and no one in Daggerfall really cares. I could be misremembering that, but I don't think I am.

Generally, for main quest purposes, be good in Daggerfall, Wayrest, and Sentinel.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If the AC system of this game works like I think it does, then the zombies and especially liches are a ridiculous step up compared to earlier enemies. It feels like the material requirement to hit liches doesn't matter that much, if you don't have progressed your character to the point where you have a sufficiently good weapon, chance is your probability to hit them would have been the minimum 3% anyway. We have an early game dungeon with what should be medium and late game enemies put into it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Set Up

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

You handled finding Nulfaga and the zombies way better than I ever did. I love this LP.

Also, 28 total gold for literally saving someone's life.... You're paid better for ending them, honestly. Though I'm sure your rep in the region increased greatly.

Oh, that's another thing, iirc, your rep is only for whatever region you're in. So, if you leave Daggerfall (the region, not just the city), you can cause a bunch of poo poo in, say, Tulune, and no one in Daggerfall really cares. I could be misremembering that, but I don't think I am.

Generally, for main quest purposes, be good in Daggerfall, Wayrest, and Sentinel.

I guess we'll find out for sure eventually regarding the reputation stuff. I'm not sure if there's a way to check it for an area beyond the info screen that also shows us time of day, etc. Actually, I'm not sure if we can check our overall rep for factions like commoners, merchants, and the other ones listed on the character creation screen either.

Crystalgate posted:

If the AC system of this game works like I think it does, then the zombies and especially liches are a ridiculous step up compared to earlier enemies. It feels like the material requirement to hit liches doesn't matter that much, if you don't have progressed your character to the point where you have a sufficiently good weapon, chance is your probability to hit them would have been the minimum 3% anyway. We have an early game dungeon with what should be medium and late game enemies put into it.

Yeah I'm thinking the liches weren't supposed to be there, so maybe it was a bug that they started spawning. Alternatively, maybe Daggerfall was made by sociopaths...it seems like most people have at least one horror story from playing the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the liches were supposed to be there-
This is a dungeon you're expected to revisit for story reasons, and some routes are more dangerous than others

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

rojovision posted:

I guess we'll find out for sure eventually regarding the reputation stuff. I'm not sure if there's a way to check it for an area beyond the info screen that also shows us time of day, etc. Actually, I'm not sure if we can check our overall rep for factions like commoners, merchants, and the other ones listed on the character creation screen either.

You can check your rep by clicking somehow in the character stat screen. I honestly forget where to click, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

You can check your rep by clicking somehow in the character stat screen. I honestly forget where to click, though.

The i button for time of day etc. will show you your legal reputation in an area. There's no way to see overall reputation in an area or even rep with factions other than a save game editor, as far as I know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

The i button for time of day etc. will show you your legal reputation in an area. There's no way to see overall reputation in an area or even rep with factions other than a save game editor, as far as I know.

Really? Huh. I thought there was a way to see how it has updated.

Edit: just a heads up, and I sincerely apologize if you already know this, or mentioned it earlier or something (if so, I missed it), but raising your STR will increase your max encumbrance. Watching you try and loot those three thieves in the Mages Guild brought me back to when I was trying to play a ninja wizard with super low strength, and yeesh... It wasn't worth it. I recommend throwing even a couple points to strength each level-up to generally make this part of your virtual life easier, but of course, it is up to you. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 21, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Misunderstandings

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Really? Huh. I thought there was a way to see how it has updated.

Edit: just a heads up, and I sincerely apologize if you already know this, or mentioned it earlier or something (if so, I missed it), but raising your STR will increase your max encumbrance. Watching you try and loot those three thieves in the Mages Guild brought me back to when I was trying to play a ninja wizard with super low strength, and yeesh... It wasn't worth it. I recommend throwing even a couple points to strength each level-up to generally make this part of your virtual life easier, but of course, it is up to you. :shobon:

Yep, I'm aware that strength would help us carry more. It would be nice to have, but it's not a priority at the moment - at least not until we've maxed our intelligence. Based on the research I've done about enchanting, we should be able to alleviate some of our encumbrance woes once we have the ability to make items, thought it looks like it'll be while before that happens. In the future I may just leave lower value stuff to keep things moving like I did in Shedungent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just checked out a few videos of DF Unity mods, specifically "Darker Dungeons" used with an ambience mod and while I'm completely and totally freaked out even from just watching the gameplay, I must have these installed. My god.

I look forward to your rundown of DF Unity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I look forward to your rundown of DF Unity.

It’s great. Even with nothing else you can have the random dungeons be smaller…

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

It’s great. Even with nothing else you can have the random dungeons be smaller…

And can also totally replicate the look and feel of the original version, but with so many bug fixes, QoL updates, and much more stability.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Turquoise Tangent

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Daggerfall (DOS) - A Stubborn Noble

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Promotion

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

While not story relevant, I learned recently that if you have a spellcasting skill greater than 100, all spells in that school are free.

Even "Continuous Damage 100 + 100/Level for 60 + 60/Level Rounds in an Area."

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Intrigue in Wayrest

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

ulmont posted:

While not story relevant, I learned recently that if you have a spellcasting skill greater than 100, all spells in that school are free.

Even "Continuous Damage 100 + 100/Level for 60 + 60/Level Rounds in an Area."

That's amusing. Maybe I'll show something like that off just for fun if our spellcasting gets to that point.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Wayrest Merchant Troubles

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Naked Omen

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Strange Hall

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Huh, I was linked your youtube videos directly and didn't even know there was a thread. I'm enjoying these a lot. Daggerfall is just an agglomeration of baffling design decisions. Things like the random traps draining your magic into negatives without you noticing, or the rumbling death trap(?) at the end of that hall, or the weird mechanism that didn't seem to do anything. I'm so glad you have the patience for this because I never did even though I loved the game as a kid.

Apparently for the merchant quest there was supposed to be a stone with the name of the dungeon that quest target guy is hiding in engraved on it. Maybe it just bugged out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractHero
May 28, 2023
The Betony section honestly has me pretty fascinated, to think it just was not in the base game at all! This is probably stuff that was not at all covered anywhere else, I'd love to see even more of it frankly beyond the few episodes you did of it honestly!