Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Where a Blade Roosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Scarodactyl posted:

Huh, I was linked your youtube videos directly and didn't even know there was a thread. I'm enjoying these a lot. Daggerfall is just an agglomeration of baffling design decisions. Things like the random traps draining your magic into negatives without you noticing, or the rumbling death trap(?) at the end of that hall, or the weird mechanism that didn't seem to do anything. I'm so glad you have the patience for this because I never did even though I loved the game as a kid.

Apparently for the merchant quest there was supposed to be a stone with the name of the dungeon that quest target guy is hiding in engraved on it. Maybe it just bugged out.

Yeah the game could use a bit more feedback at times. I guess magicka draining traps makes sense. Luckily it was more of a minor inconvenience in this case.

As for the stone, maybe I threw it away or didn't pick it up the first time, I can't remember. Or maybe it did, in fact, bug out. Either way I think the ship has sailed for that quest, timewise. Good to know for the future, though. I'll have to make sure I take / inspect everything if we ever end up with a similar quest.

AbstractHero posted:

The Betony section honestly has me pretty fascinated, to think it just was not in the base game at all! This is probably stuff that was not at all covered anywhere else, I'd love to see even more of it frankly beyond the few episodes you did of it honestly!

Regarding that, it seems that I was incorrect. I read something that said it wasn't in the main game (or misremembered or misunderstood what I read) at the time I was playing the demo, but it looks like we can get there after all. That said, after looking into it a bit more, the island in the demo is supposed to have different locations to explore compared to the full release. I'm not sure if that means it's totally different, or if it has extra stuff tacked on, or what. Hopefully we'll be heading that way soon to see what's what, at which point I'll add a correction to my original Betony video to help avoid future confusion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know about other locations but the main difference I noticed between the demo and full version is that the capital city of Betony is not available in the full game, but is in the demo.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Claiming a Claymore

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Terrible Geriblorgon

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Geriblorgon quest is really funny--a pretty nice setup for a generic sprite that wasn't even selected right. Probably one of those things where they envisioned quests with customized sprites and more depth in general but they were in way too deep and already burning through artists. Iirc only a couple of the 30+ artists that worked on the project made it to the end thanks to increasing demands for assets and changing goals. I read an interview with one of the artists like ten years ago that I'd love to find again, it was really interesting.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 8, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - Daggerfall (DOS) - M'urht's Missive

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Scarodactyl posted:

The Geriblorgon quest is really funny--a pretty nice setup for a generic sprite that wasn't even selected right. Probably one of those things where they envisioned quests with customized sprites and more depth in general but they were in way too deep and already burning through artists. Iirc only a couple of the 30+ artists that worked on the project made it to the end thanks to increasing demands for assets and changing goals. I read an interview with one of the artists like ten years ago that I'd love to find again, it was really interesting.

Yeah I was certainly a bit surprised at the outcome of that quest. If you manage to dig up that interview at some point, feel free to post it. It sounds interesting. Actually, I guess that goes for anyone who has interviews or other similar official info to share regarding the game's development.

Not to get too off topic, but for those interested, Tim Cain (Fallout, etc) started a YouTube channel recently, and he's been sharing some of the inside baseball related to the games he's worked on. I suspect he may not have liked my question about why The Outer Worlds shipped without, and is still missing fully implemented keybinds, but some of the stories have been pretty cool. If there's anything like that for Daggerfall, I'm interested, though I may not look too closely at it until after I finish the DOS playthrough.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

M'uhrter most foul

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rojovision posted:

Yeah I was certainly a bit surprised at the outcome of that quest. If you manage to dig up that interview at some point, feel free to post it. It sounds interesting. Actually, I guess that goes for anyone who has interviews or other similar official info to share regarding the game's development.

Not to get too off topic, but for those interested, Tim Cain (Fallout, etc) started a YouTube channel recently, and he's been sharing some of the inside baseball related to the games he's worked on. I suspect he may not have liked my question about why The Outer Worlds shipped without, and is still missing fully implemented keybinds, but some of the stories have been pretty cool. If there's anything like that for Daggerfall, I'm interested, though I may not look too closely at it until after I finish the DOS playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8

Now it's been a couple years since I watched this, but it seemed pretty good.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Mage's Guild Missions

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Scarodactyl posted:

M'uhrter most foul

Ha, good one.

Thanks for the link.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Merciless Magickary

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Queen Akorithi's Scheme

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Wayrest Heist Begins

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Even for daggerfall this place is a confusing maze. Thanks for playing it so I don't have to.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Wayrest Dungeon North

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Scarodactyl posted:

Even for daggerfall this place is a confusing maze. Thanks for playing it so I don't have to.

Yep, I'd say that's accurate. The changes in elevation in particular make the map extremely difficult to use here.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 28 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Strokes of Murder

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This one was so weird. It started with a huge, completely pointless procedural maze, followed by a nice sequence of bite-size rooms with small secrets linked by teleporters in a neat short series that also led nowhere, followed by more, slightly better maze. At least it had a cool-looking room at the end even if it didn't have much actually in it. Daggerfall is a complete mess but I can't look away.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 29 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Ghostly Barrow

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Scarodactyl posted:

This one was so weird. It started with a huge, completely pointless procedural maze, followed by a nice sequence of bite-size rooms with small secrets linked by teleporters in a neat short series that also led nowhere, followed by more, slightly better maze. At least it had a cool-looking room at the end even if it didn't have much actually in it. Daggerfall is a complete mess but I can't look away.

I like the concept for the quest, but I think the designers' creativity outdid what the game's technology could handle. Some consequences for killing guards would have been interesting. Maybe there are and we haven't seen them yet, but I doubt it. I'd say some kind of reward for stealthing through the dungeon undetected would be cool, but I don't think the game's sneaking is complex enough to make that fun. Like you were getting at, some tighter level design couldn't hurt either. That said, one benefit of how things are is that finding the more unique rooms seems to pretty reliably hint that you're on the right track.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 30 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Underking Undertaking

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 31 - Daggerfall (DOS) - A Corroborating Story

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 32 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Akatosh's Lost Loon

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 33 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Lost Digger

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there any way to get a whole lot bigger mana pool, or is it mostly a matter of improving your skill in the school so the spells are cheaper to cast?

Do you know how many main/quest-designed dungeons there are? Seems like we're more than halfway through, if I had to guess (assuming you can choose to side with/against the Underking, I would expect that to indicate a fair amount of progress). Though I know that the storyline doesn't just seem to be about going to dungeons, since you can go and talk to people to advance it.

It also strikes me that the main plot might mostly have been about just doing a bit of Ghostbusting.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kangra posted:

Is there any way to get a whole lot bigger mana pool, or is it mostly a matter of improving your skill in the school so the spells are cheaper to cast?
The main way of getting a bigger mana pool is by picking the Increased Magery positive trait when creating a custom class (or selecting a premade class that comes with it).
By default magicka is 0.5x of your Intelligence attribute, and since that maxes out at 100, it means that without the trait a character will have at most 50mp. The trait itself provides various possible multiplier at increased character creation cost, maxing out at a possible 3x Int.
While I don't know the formula, it appears improving a spellcasting skill to lower the overall spell costs in that particular school is the better way of being able to cast more spells.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 34 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Stats Up

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Kangra posted:

Do you know how many main/quest-designed dungeons there are? Seems like we're more than halfway through, if I had to guess (assuming you can choose to side with/against the Underking, I would expect that to indicate a fair amount of progress). Though I know that the storyline doesn't just seem to be about going to dungeons, since you can go and talk to people to advance it.

It also strikes me that the main plot might mostly have been about just doing a bit of Ghostbusting.

Like radintorov mentioned, the best / easiest way to get more total magicka seems to be starting with the 3X Int modifier at character creation, and then maxing intelligence. I think there are a couple enchantments that can boost your pool as well, but I'm not sure how effective they are.

As for the main story, I'm not sure how many quests there are or how deep we're into it. Since I've never played the game, I've limited my research specifically to mechanics in an attempt to avoid spoilers. I'm sure the info is out there, though. It's my understanding the game has multiple endings, so we may be nearer to one ending than another, and I guess it's possible we may be locked out of certain endings based on the choices we've made so far. Regardless, I think we have a fair amount of game left. I still want to play around with enchanting and potion making. I'd also like to buy a house or at least a ship, summon a daedric prince or two, and get back to Betony to take a look around.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 35 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Sentinel Scarab

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 36 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Sentinel Search Continues

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 37 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Worm King's Tale

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 38 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Exploring Betony

At some point during our exploration of the Betony demo, I said that you couldn't get to the island. That's clearly not the case. That said, the locations in the full game are different, so I wanted to spend a little time checking it out.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 27, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 39 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Fists and Feet of Fury

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 40 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Path Vannonot Found

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Would not be surprised if there is a trigger to get in and it's incredibly obscure. Although it also seems like that dungeon wasn't fully tested. I imagine the pit trap was just supposed to drop you in the water area, not kill you after you fell. But who knows.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 41 - Daggerfall (DOS) - To Totambu

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Kangra posted:

Would not be surprised if there is a trigger to get in and it's incredibly obscure. Although it also seems like that dungeon wasn't fully tested. I imagine the pit trap was just supposed to drop you in the water area, not kill you after you fell. But who knows.

Yeah it's possible there's something in there to open a path or act as a teleporter, but I didn't find anything on a second look. As for the trap, I might have just gotten unlucky with the angle I fell in at and bounced off one of the platforms in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am finally playing through daggerfall more (after getting a mod that lets temples cure poison). After your nightmare run it was really funny to end up in the quest room in Shedungent after like 8 minutes of wandering, never running into a single strong enemy.