Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I haven't played it, but skimming some YouTube VODs very quickly, Daggerfall Unity looks surprisingly decent and seems to have fixed a decent amount of the jank.
I can definitely recommend it: despite being basically a remake due to the completely different engine, it plays very much like the original except with additional bug fixes and support for modern hardware. On top of that it also supports mods and there are some configurable options including altering the maximum size of the randomly generated dungeons so that they aren't an architectural nightmare like in the original.
Or you can always crank that setting up to eleven if the original random generation just wasn't painful enough. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Holy poo poo.

The thing the loving game needed more than anything.
Yup, it basically makes it so the random generator will keep the size of a dungeon to a more manageable level: it only affects regular generated dungeons, naturally smaller ones like graveyards will still be generated following their normal rules.
Also I made a mistake in my previous post: I said it was possible to increase the maximum size, but looking it up I completely misremembered that. You can only reduce the dungeon max size, which is done via a toggle option in the main ini file.
More info on this feature https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?t=1689

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kangra posted:

Is there any way to get a whole lot bigger mana pool, or is it mostly a matter of improving your skill in the school so the spells are cheaper to cast?
The main way of getting a bigger mana pool is by picking the Increased Magery positive trait when creating a custom class (or selecting a premade class that comes with it).
By default magicka is 0.5x of your Intelligence attribute, and since that maxes out at 100, it means that without the trait a character will have at most 50mp. The trait itself provides various possible multiplier at increased character creation cost, maxing out at a possible 3x Int.
While I don't know the formula, it appears improving a spellcasting skill to lower the overall spell costs in that particular school is the better way of being able to cast more spells.