Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, oh my God. I'm so sorry for you.

I'll totally be following this thread, though.

I love Daggerfall, but also gently caress Daggerfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Ah, the exciting era of wRPG's where katanas were mysteriously always stronger than longswords and broadswords. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have a fondness for any game where skeletons are badasses rather than pushovers.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tombot posted:

This seems like the kind of game that can get hilariously broken with exploits, I guess maybe we'll see when we get to the main game what we can do.

lol, lmao even

You have NO idea.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

Also the way language skills work is "if you get near an enemy of the appropriate type, there is a chance it won't be hostile." You know it worked because you walk up to the appropriate enemy and it doesn't immediately start trying to kick your rear end. Which is great, as long as you give it enough time to attack and evaluate if it is doing so, because if your language skill passes and then you start trying to beat it down anyway, oops the fight's on motherfucker.

Man, I'm sad that Battlespire was such a mess, because I really loved the idea, there, that you could essentially try to convince any Daedra to not make a given encounter a fight to the death, and maybe even to join you instead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I would kind of kill for a Daggerfall remake at this point. Just... all the potential this game had, and almost succeeded at delivering on too. Only the bugs and the terrible dungeon design kept it back.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I agree, though I'll note that if they do a remake beyond simple "compatibility/bug-fix for modern systems", doing so would likely require cutting out a LOT of Daggerfall's size. Daggerfall claims to have 15,000 locations (cities, dungeons, temples, towns) spread among 41 different 'regions', which means that on average, a single region in Daggerfall has 366 locations. By comparison, the Internet tells me that the clickable 'map' locations in Skyrim number 338. So it's just not feasible for a Daggerfall remake where they keep the same enormous size but also bring it up to modern standards of graphics/quality/etc.

If a remake ever happens, I suspect it would be something akin to FF7 Remake, where it's basically a brand new game. Eliminate the vast majority of the towns/dungeons, refocus on the main storyline, develop NPC's into true individuals with personalities, add a few cutscenes, etc.

I mean it wouldn't have to have Skyrim's fidelity. I don't really care about those parts. Make it lo-fi, have it run on sprites, poo poo, make it an isometric RPG or something that can more easily re-use sprites and backgrounds and stuff. The whole first person combat bullshit has always been a weight around the Elder Scrolls series' neck.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

radintorov posted:

altering the maximum size of the randomly generated dungeons so that they aren't an architectural nightmare like in the original.

Holy poo poo.

The thing the loving game needed more than anything.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Daggerfall is kind of rough if you're not playing a character min/maxed to the gills.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

If you out-of-bounds again, Alt+F11 should bring you back in-bounds on the latest official patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm not commenting a lot here because I'm having trouble keeping up with the videos as they come out, but I want to say I'm watching along and still interested!

Also as a late reply: "rounds" in pre-3e D&D are a minute each and turns are ten minutes, since it's assumed each "round," while containing only one opportunity for an attack or spell, contains a lot of parrying, dodging, buying distance, getting in close, etc. before said opportunity pops up.

Edit: On a note about training apparently not improving your skills, it seems the mechanic behind training isn't that it gives a flat boost to your skill, but instead that it's equal to 15 uses of your skill by yourself, and as you get better at a skill it takes more uses for it to actually get improved by use(the breakpoint seems to be every 15 percentage points of skill).

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 12, 2023