Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

A Daggerfall LP, excellent.

Such a cool concept and storyline, an absolute masterpiece that deserved every bit of praise it got, but also simultaneously the buggiest piece of poo poo of its' era. I think a lot of that has been patched over the years, but man, it was an absolute mess at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

With the caveat that it's been literal decades since I played Daggerfall, this demo seems almost identical to the real game (except for the demo messages and being limited to one island, obviously). Is there anything you found that seems different that I missed?

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Also getting levels/the best armor/weapons in the game is super easy. Go to a shop that has a wall between the entrance door and the shelves to buy/sell stuff. Attempt to steal everything you can, which will summon hundreds of guards (HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!). Of course their pathing means they can't actually get to you because there's a wall in the way, but you can still attack them through it for whatever reason. Enjoy your hundreds of corpses filled with loot. As you level up (from doing this) they will eventually be dropping daedra equipment.
If you don't feel like going on a murder spree (or are too weak to kill guards), you can also just straight up rob stores by loitering there repeatedly until after dark when the store is 'closed' and then just take everything. That said, for an LP, I think it's more interesting to play it straight, because these sort of tricks mean you basically skip past a lot of the different weapons/armor/etc and steamroll a lot of early game enemies.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

So addressing a couple things in the video:

-You're right that focusing on leveling a weapon skill should be a huge priority because your to-hit but not damage is based on weapon skill. Therefore, early game combat when you have low skill tends to be super variable - if you land a couple hits with a decent weapon, it's over super fast...but you can often go on long miss streaks where the monster just tears you apart while you're whiffing. The same formula was held over to Morrowind, then was thankfully changed in Oblivion so your to-hit is always good and skill just impacts your damage. On average, the systems are probably about the same, but it feels much better to play.
-Paralysis is definitely the most annoying status in Daggerfall, to the point that High Elves are the clear Best Race in the game solely because of their innate immunity. It's not required because there are alternatives but it's incredibly handy. Being a Bethesda game, there's an associated exploit/bug in character creation of course. You're not intended to be able to take both an immunity and a weakness, so the game prevents you if you do it directly via adding Advantages and Disadvantages...but High Elves' natural immunity isn't checked in the same way, so you can do High Elf plus Critical Weakness to Paralysis and the immunity takes precedence and basically get free 'points' on the difficulty scale.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I would kind of kill for a Daggerfall remake at this point. Just... all the potential this game had, and almost succeeded at delivering on too. Only the bugs and the terrible dungeon design kept it back.
I agree, though I'll note that if they do a remake beyond simple "compatibility/bug-fix for modern systems", doing so would likely require cutting out a LOT of Daggerfall's size. Daggerfall claims to have 15,000 locations (cities, dungeons, temples, towns) spread among 41 different 'regions', which means that on average, a single region in Daggerfall has 366 locations. By comparison, the Internet tells me that the clickable 'map' locations in Skyrim number 338. So it's just not feasible for a Daggerfall remake where they keep the same enormous size but also bring it up to modern standards of graphics/quality/etc.

If a remake ever happens, I suspect it would be something akin to FF7 Remake, where it's basically a brand new game. Eliminate the vast majority of the towns/dungeons, refocus on the main storyline, develop NPC's into true individuals with personalities, add a few cutscenes, etc.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

-Not sure why everybody in towns suddenly hates Tony's guts. Given the way Daggerfall works, 50% chance it was intentional due to you completing the quest and 50% chance it's straight up bugged.
-The bank said you could loan 100,000 which I'm assuming is a special demo thing because that seems like a bafflingly large amount for someone who hasn't done anything except (apparently) piss everybody off.
-You mentioned the farms inside the Castle walls and that actually wasn't unheard of in larger castles. Not huge farms of course, but grassed areas with a few crops was useful to help feed the animals in the stables and also help the castle hold out a little longer against a siege.
-Glad we're done with the demo and getting to the real meat of the game. Really interested to see how many times you die in the first dungeon because that's a key part of the Authentic Daggerfall Experience (tm).

rojovision posted:

I hear Daggerfall Unity fixes a lot of the bugs because it's not derived directly from the original game's source. I assume it also has many quality of life improvements. It might be the closest we get to a remake at scale. In a later post you mentioned doing a remake, but isometric. While it's out of character for a mainline release to not be in first person, I'd play Elder Scrolls: The Baldur's Gate edition any time.
I haven't played it, but skimming some YouTube VODs very quickly, Daggerfall Unity looks surprisingly decent and seems to have fixed a decent amount of the jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rojovision posted:

I appreciate the enthusiasm for the build so far. We've got a little bit of a slow start, but I think there's a path to victory if my understanding of the game's mechanics is correct.

ulmont posted:

I started up a playthrough (Daggerfall Unity) in solidarity (never played it back in the day, Morrowind was my entry point) and I was feeling pretty bad about how often I was dying in that first dungeon...until I watched your video.
Dying multiple times in the first dungeon is a Daggerfall rite of passage. No matter how optimized your build is, you're gonna loving die in Privateer's Hold and that's that. I am fairly convinced that every single person who's ever installed the game died on their very first playthrough to that Imp right near the start - the door is right there so of course you open it and bam, there goes half your health in one cast and also wait is my weapon not doing damage.

It's not a coincidence that Morrowind's tutorial was the exact opposite - letting you start in town and then even delay the clearly indicated 'starter' dungeon nearby if you don't feel ready for a deep dive.

To address some stuff you talked about :
-The save vs spell for Shock means it did half damage. I think there was at least once where you saved against an Imp's shock too.
-Chameleon is Invisibility that only works when standing still. It's exactly as meh whatever as that description implies.
-You were correct about the numbers for Dodging, it's Skill/4% penalty on your to-hit roll. Presumably, this was intended to subtract from the opponent's to-hit roll instead but got typoed.
-Did you try clicking on the level button in the leveling screen? I think you can click on that to get an update on your progress to the next level, but I might be misremembering.
-Better material types include a to-hit and damage bonus, so finding that Elven Saber now is pretty nice.