Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Daggerfall is the second mainline Elder Scrolls game, released in 1996. It greatly expands upon the framework established by Arena, adding a more coherent map, skills, item and potion crafting, a custom class builder and more. While it doesn't encompass all of Tamriel, Daggerfall is generally regarded as having the largest map in the Elder Scrolls series. There are hundreds of towns, dungeons, temples and homes to explore. Want to carry more stuff? Buy a cart. Want to own a home? You can do that. A ship? Yep. For the time, Daggerfall gave players an unprecedented amount of options in a software rendered 3D world.

If you want to play Daggerfall, the good news is that Bethesda made it freely available in 2009, so anybody can get it up and running with programs like DOSBox. If you don't want to deal with janky controls and a dated interface, you can try Daggerfall Unity instead - a remake of the game using the Unity engine with built in mod support.

:siren: Thread Rules :siren:
While I realize the game is over 25 years old, I haven't played it, so no story spoilers, please. I know a bit about the story in general (like that there are multiple endings), but not the details. Game mechanics discussion is fine. I'm also not an Elder Scrolls lore expert by any stretch of the imagination, so feel free to chime in if you have some that's relevant to where we are in the videos.

About the Playthrough
We'll be playing through Daggerfall in phases, starting with the demos for the DOS version of the game that are available on the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages wiki. They have some unique content absent from the main game that will be interesting to briefly check out. After that we'll jump into the full release of Daggerfall. Rather than playing in DOSBox, we'll be playing the game in its native environment - a retro PC natively running MS-DOS (specs below), using my boxed copy of the game.

Instead of picking a standard class or making a custom class and choosing our skills, I'm going to create a custom class with random skills. Then I'll assign other class properties (advantages, HP, stats, etc) based on the skills that I got. I'm going to select the race ahead of time, which I'll talk about more in the character creation video. Hopefully the random skills will make for an interesting playthrough.

Once we've finished with the DOS version of the game, we'll check out Daggerfall Unity to compare the original version of the game with the more modern one. Maybe we'll try out some mods as well.

Technical Notes
PC Specs:
pre:
Motherboard:		Biostar M6TBA v1.2
CPU:			Pentium II 350Mhz
GPU (AGP):		Rendition Verite V2200 (8MB)
Sound Card (ISA):	Ensoniq Soundscape VIVO
Music:			Roland SC-55
RAM:			64MB 100Mhz SDRAM
Storage:		10GB IDE Quantum Fireball HDD (900MB Usable)
Optical:		~48x IDE DVD Drive
Schedule
I'll be trying to upload at least two videos a week, most likely on Monday and Friday. I may have time to do an extra video on Wednesdays some weeks.

Part 1 - The Demos
Series Playlist

Part 2 - Daggerfall (DOS)
Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
reserved.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
also reserved.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 1 - The Daggerfall Preview Demo

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Preview Demo - Properly Exploring the Pit of Jagadha

Glad to see the enthusiasm so far. Next time we'll check out the second demo that I have which features what I assume is another unique dungeon. It looks and plays a lot more like the Daggerfall that ended up on store shelves.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Dungeon Demo

There's one last demo I want to check out after this one which features a more complete experience including towns. I believe I've read that it's set in a part of the map that you can't actually get to in the retail release.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tombot posted:

This seems like the kind of game that can get hilariously broken with exploits, I guess maybe we'll see when we get to the main game what we can do.

I think you can more or less break the game at character creation, though I don't know the specific details.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

Are you planning to tackle the Betony demo? I was, like, eight when that came out and playing that for months has probably irrevocably destroyed something important in my brain.

Betony demo is next week, after which I'm all out of demos so we'll move on to the main game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 1)

I had some issues getting the demo to run on my machine, but eventually got it working. It seems to work fine in DOS Box on a modern PC with no problems.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I also did this. I played it more than I did the full game when I got it.

Also getting levels/the best armor/weapons in the game is super easy. Go to a shop that has a wall between the entrance door and the shelves to buy/sell stuff. Attempt to steal everything you can, which will summon hundreds of guards (HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!). Of course their pathing means they can't actually get to you because there's a wall in the way, but you can still attack them through it for whatever reason. Enjoy your hundreds of corpses filled with loot. As you level up (from doing this) they will eventually be dropping daedra equipment.

I figured this out playing the demo and would spend hours seeing how many guards I could get to spawn then killing them all.

I'm not going to try to immediately break the game, but that sounds like a fun thing to try at some point just to show it off.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I know that melee weapons in first-person games are usually a bit janky, but drat that's the laziest looking sword swing animation I've ever seen. Come on, player character, that skeleton is trying so hard to shriek and swing at you, at least put some effort in.

The lazy weapon swing is one of my least favorite parts of Daggerfall so far. I prefer the slower paced combat to Arena's frantic mouse dragging, but give me a few more frames of animation, at least.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 2)

I noticed in editing that I missed something in the barn area. We'll go back and check it out next time.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 3)

We've got one last part for the Betony demo that should be released sometime tomorrow.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

The Daggerfall Betony Demo (Part 4)

This is the last part for the Betony demo. Next week we'll be getting into the main game of Daggerfall. Like I mentioned, we'll be selecting our skills randomly, so I'll be separating character creation out into a separate video which will come out at the same time as the first episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I would kind of kill for a Daggerfall remake at this point. Just... all the potential this game had, and almost succeeded at delivering on too. Only the bugs and the terrible dungeon design kept it back.

I hear Daggerfall Unity fixes a lot of the bugs because it's not derived directly from the original game's source. I assume it also has many quality of life improvements. It might be the closest we get to a remake at scale. In a later post you mentioned doing a remake, but isometric. While it's out of character for a mainline release to not be in first person, I'd play Elder Scrolls: The Baldur's Gate edition any time.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

For selling, you want a pawn shop, which will buy the vast majority of your poo poo. Also the little blurb you read when you enter a store determines the store quality and therefore the prices. High-end shops are better hagglers, sell to the guys who have rats in the corner.

Edit: also for the free Inn room thing I think it's not for the inns specifically inside towns but those either those that are individually placed on the map, or maybe the ones you use when fast travelling. (it's been a few years)

Good to know, thanks.

MechaCrash posted:

I know that the full game's character creation will be handled by randomly picking skills, but will the advantages and disadvantages then be tailored to that? Like if you roll Long Blade as a major skill, will you take Good At Long Blades as an advantage? As much a pile of broken nonsense as this game can be, in both the "game balance" and "functioning program" senses of the phrase, and you throwing RNG on your build on top of that, I figure giving yourself at least a little leeway will be helpful. This is going to be rough enough without having to risk RNG saying "yes I know you have Archery as a major skill, you're not allowed to use bows anyway."

I'll explain how things work in the character creation video, but the short version is only the skills are random. Advantages / disadvantages will be picked once we've rolled our skills and gotten a sense of what kind of character we've got.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Arcvasti posted:

A pro char creation tip is that Personality is not a dump stat. If you set it too low then you'll be so annoying that guards will start trying to arrest you on trumped up "criminal conspiracy" charges.

Haha, that's interesting. I've already created the character, though. First episode and the character creation video will be up this week, probably on Friday.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Character Creation - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 1

Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 1

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Mixing Martial Arts - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 2

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
I appreciate the enthusiasm for the build so far. We've got a little bit of a slow start, but I think there's a path to victory if my understanding of the game's mechanics is correct.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Civilization at Last - Daggerfall (DOS) - Episode 3

I mentioned a bit about the tutorial in this one. I didn't realize it at the time of recording, but after going back and checking the footage from episode 1, I see that I accidentally cancelled it. I was going to show it off, but oh well. It doesn't show anything that we haven't more or less seen or figured out from the Betony demo as far as I recall.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 29, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

If you out-of-bounds again, Alt+F11 should bring you back in-bounds on the latest official patch.

Good info, thanks.

ulmont posted:

I started up a playthrough (Daggerfall Unity) in solidarity (never played it back in the day, Morrowind was my entry point) and I was feeling pretty bad about how often I was dying in that first dungeon...until I watched your video.

It does feel a little bad to get worked over by bats of all things.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Letter Leads

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

From the inventory screen, if you select USE and click clothes you're wearing, some of them change. IIRC it mostly makes cloaks raise/lower the hood, but it might reverse a reversible shirt.

That's interesting. A small detail, but a pretty cool one.

Cool, I hadn't seen those before, but it's a fun bit of trivia.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Getting Political

A minor note about when we talk about some of the Daggerfall history and lineage - the people with a "d." near their names are in fact dead, otherwise they're alive. I just wasn't paying attention when I was talking about it and looking at the chart.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Thanks for the tips.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I finally started watching these videos and at the beginning of your first one, you state that the 'theme song' wasn't in the game proper. Am I crazy for remembering that it was? I mean.. The only explanation I have is that I've played DF Unity more recently than the original, which likely put it there if it wasn't there originally, but I don't recall having any moments of "uhhhh.... this is new"...
:words:

While I can't say regarding the shop music, I looked through the game files from my disc and the "theme" doesn't seem to exist in the music folder. You can listen to all the songs using a tool like Daggerfall Jukebox. I know it's probably distracting with me talking, but if you go back to the very first episode, you'll hear that there's actually no music on the main menu. There's also no music in the character creation video. The absence of music is a bit conspicuous since Arena had music for both the title and character creation screens.

The song you're thinking of does exist in the preview demo (link in the main post) - it's played on the title screen, and I dedicated a section at the end of the video to play it without me talking. It's possible that I missed something in the main game files, and that the song does show up somewhere. I'll be sure to point it out if it happens.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 6, 2023

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Search for Nulfaga

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

YggiDee posted:

It's interesting watching you actually take a stab at the Main Plot, I was uhhhh eight when Daggerfall came out and never really gave a poo poo about whatever all these Lords were talking about. I'd inevitably get lost in a dungeon for a month and end up missing out on a deadline, assuming some plot flag didn't bug out on me. (Also I was scared of the King's Ghost in Daggerfall) so mostly I noodled around until my save inevitably glitched beyond repair.

That said, horseback is slightly faster than maximum running speed (ie Speed and Running both at 100) but horses have infinite stamina. Carts are slower than horses and can't jump, but still fairly speedy with again, infinite stamina.
I think you can check MP by clicking your INT on the status screen.

Also if you fast travel to your current location and choose "Cautiously", I believe it will fully heal you, and8 advance the clock by one minute (during the day) or to the next morning (at night). So that might save you some rest time.

I Strongly Recommend you purchase/create the Recall spell, putting an anchor right inside a dungeon entrance will absolutely save your bacon

Also when you're selling, don't click the wagon image click the button that says wagon, that's how you sell your wagon poo poo.

(Also I hope I'm not coming across as backseat-y or anything, I like Daggerfall a lot but have nothing to contribute plot-wise so I'm just unearthing long repressed memories of all the absurd mechanics)

No worries. While I did some research about a few specific game mechanics, there's a lot to know, especially when it comes to quality of life stuff.

Daggerfall: "Excuse the gloom but none may know of this unmodded LP...."

Edit: just watched the latest episode. The Wrothgarian Mountains are so vast that there are different regions to zoom in on. When you searched, the red lines were pointing to something off-screen, I believe to the east. You can zoom out and click on different areas and search again, and you should see where the lines meet up. There are also arrows on the map HUD that let you quickly jump between zoomed in regions. I believe literally every other province/area just has one section, but them mountains gotta be different.

Interesting. I'll have to try that out once we're out of the dungeon.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Honeymoon's Over

There will be another video on Saturday. Turns out Shedungent is huge and I'd prefer not to spend three full weeks of videos in it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Undead Party Pack

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not commenting a lot here because I'm having trouble keeping up with the videos as they come out, but I want to say I'm watching along and still interested!

Also as a late reply: "rounds" in pre-3e D&D are a minute each and turns are ten minutes, since it's assumed each "round," while containing only one opportunity for an attack or spell, contains a lot of parrying, dodging, buying distance, getting in close, etc. before said opportunity pops up.

Edit: On a note about training apparently not improving your skills, it seems the mechanic behind training isn't that it gives a flat boost to your skill, but instead that it's equal to 15 uses of your skill by yourself, and as you get better at a skill it takes more uses for it to actually get improved by use(the breakpoint seems to be every 15 percentage points of skill).

Good to know about the training / pre 3.0 time refresher.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Grandma's Bad Company

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - Daggerfall (DOS) - The Set Up

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

You handled finding Nulfaga and the zombies way better than I ever did. I love this LP.

Also, 28 total gold for literally saving someone's life.... You're paid better for ending them, honestly. Though I'm sure your rep in the region increased greatly.

Oh, that's another thing, iirc, your rep is only for whatever region you're in. So, if you leave Daggerfall (the region, not just the city), you can cause a bunch of poo poo in, say, Tulune, and no one in Daggerfall really cares. I could be misremembering that, but I don't think I am.

Generally, for main quest purposes, be good in Daggerfall, Wayrest, and Sentinel.

I guess we'll find out for sure eventually regarding the reputation stuff. I'm not sure if there's a way to check it for an area beyond the info screen that also shows us time of day, etc. Actually, I'm not sure if we can check our overall rep for factions like commoners, merchants, and the other ones listed on the character creation screen either.

Crystalgate posted:

If the AC system of this game works like I think it does, then the zombies and especially liches are a ridiculous step up compared to earlier enemies. It feels like the material requirement to hit liches doesn't matter that much, if you don't have progressed your character to the point where you have a sufficiently good weapon, chance is your probability to hit them would have been the minimum 3% anyway. We have an early game dungeon with what should be medium and late game enemies put into it.

Yeah I'm thinking the liches weren't supposed to be there, so maybe it was a bug that they started spawning. Alternatively, maybe Daggerfall was made by sociopaths...it seems like most people have at least one horror story from playing the game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Misunderstandings

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Really? Huh. I thought there was a way to see how it has updated.

Edit: just a heads up, and I sincerely apologize if you already know this, or mentioned it earlier or something (if so, I missed it), but raising your STR will increase your max encumbrance. Watching you try and loot those three thieves in the Mages Guild brought me back to when I was trying to play a ninja wizard with super low strength, and yeesh... It wasn't worth it. I recommend throwing even a couple points to strength each level-up to generally make this part of your virtual life easier, but of course, it is up to you. :shobon:

Yep, I'm aware that strength would help us carry more. It would be nice to have, but it's not a priority at the moment - at least not until we've maxed our intelligence. Based on the research I've done about enchanting, we should be able to alleviate some of our encumbrance woes once we have the ability to make items, thought it looks like it'll be while before that happens. In the future I may just leave lower value stuff to keep things moving like I did in Shedungent.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Turquoise Tangent

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Daggerfall (DOS) - A Stubborn Noble

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Promotion

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Daggerfall (DOS) - Intrigue in Wayrest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

ulmont posted:

While not story relevant, I learned recently that if you have a spellcasting skill greater than 100, all spells in that school are free.

Even "Continuous Damage 100 + 100/Level for 60 + 60/Level Rounds in an Area."

That's amusing. Maybe I'll show something like that off just for fun if our spellcasting gets to that point.