Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Huh, I was linked your youtube videos directly and didn't even know there was a thread. I'm enjoying these a lot. Daggerfall is just an agglomeration of baffling design decisions. Things like the random traps draining your magic into negatives without you noticing, or the rumbling death trap(?) at the end of that hall, or the weird mechanism that didn't seem to do anything. I'm so glad you have the patience for this because I never did even though I loved the game as a kid.

Apparently for the merchant quest there was supposed to be a stone with the name of the dungeon that quest target guy is hiding in engraved on it. Maybe it just bugged out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Geriblorgon quest is really funny--a pretty nice setup for a generic sprite that wasn't even selected right. Probably one of those things where they envisioned quests with customized sprites and more depth in general but they were in way too deep and already burning through artists. Iirc only a couple of the 30+ artists that worked on the project made it to the end thanks to increasing demands for assets and changing goals. I read an interview with one of the artists like ten years ago that I'd love to find again, it was really interesting.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 8, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

M'uhrter most foul

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Even for daggerfall this place is a confusing maze. Thanks for playing it so I don't have to.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This one was so weird. It started with a huge, completely pointless procedural maze, followed by a nice sequence of bite-size rooms with small secrets linked by teleporters in a neat short series that also led nowhere, followed by more, slightly better maze. At least it had a cool-looking room at the end even if it didn't have much actually in it. Daggerfall is a complete mess but I can't look away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am finally playing through daggerfall more (after getting a mod that lets temples cure poison). After your nightmare run it was really funny to end up in the quest room in Shedungent after like 8 minutes of wandering, never running into a single strong enemy.