Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Genesplicer posted:

I think I am actually more familiar with the Weird Al versions of his songs than of the originals. Except for maybe Thriller. Great video.

This is the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Stop waving my Blanket out the window

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
"The doggone girl is mine" - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson. The girl in question? She was just 1 years old at the time. :canceled:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Revins posted:

I'm about to go donate plasma and I'm going to listen to Alien Ant Farms 2001(maybe I'm guessing) album ANThology which includes the cover of MJs Smooth Criminal while sitting there and I'll report back

as far as early 2000's nu metal albums go its still pretty good, probably holds up better than most of the albums in the genre

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
as far as michael jackson himself it'd feel weird to actively choose to put on his music but if like billy jean comes on I'm not turning it off

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Starlight is a banger

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I’m just pissed Stark Raving Dad was removed from Simpsons syndication and Disney+.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i got a ride in an uber and thriller was on the radio. i told the driver about what a big deal the video was when it first came out and she was like "wow you're fuckin old as poo poo"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am listening to Thriller right now

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pug Rodeo posted:

I’m just pissed Stark Raving Dad was removed from Simpsons syndication and Disney+.

Disney+ is a disease

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
salma hayek gots some heavies

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I'll always have a soft spot for Thriller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSip-frDcGM

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mnoba posted:

salma hayek gots some heavies

yup. absolutely

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

no i only listen to shoegaze, twee, and sadgirl type stuff

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
He may or may not have been a bit of a wrongun but watch and listen to this as it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFe1Z1Dt7A

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i only listen to skacore which is about peace and tolerance

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I listen to The Jacksons quite often.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Foo Diddley posted:

i got a ride in an uber and thriller was on the radio. i told the driver about what a big deal the video was when it first came out and she was like "wow you're fuckin old as poo poo"

Lmao, brutal

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

haljordan posted:

Yes, especially Beat It for that guitar solo. Quincy Jones is a fuckin genius.

Imagine any album being released today that has anywhere near the impact of "Thriller". It will never happen again.

I just wanted to say that it was Eddie Van Halen who did that solo. It is a good solo.

Other than that Michael Jackson was something my mum or grandma might have playing in the background. It never really registered as more than background music to me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t seek out or listen to his music personally, but if I hear it somewhere out of my control like in a store or on someone else’s playlist, I ain’t gonna get mad.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I still listen to Michael Jackson, but not Kanye or Chris Brown. While Jackson's crimes were worse, the latter two are still alive and actively insufferable.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
But what about the only real crime: being woke?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Foo Diddley posted:

Old-adjacent comment: I recently spoke with a young 20something who didn't know who Kevin Costner was (because I was watching Yellowstone) and on a whim I asked if she knew who Mel Gibson was (yknow, biggest star in the world in the 90's). She said "oh isn't he an actor? My dad likes his movies" :corsair:

right in the youth

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Old-adjacent comment: I recently spoke with a young 20something who didn't know who Kevin Costner was (because I was watching Yellowstone) and on a whim I asked if she knew who Mel Gibson was (yknow, biggest star in the world in the 90's). She said "oh isn't he an actor? My dad likes his movies" :corsair:

right in the youth

my sister saw some kid wearing a nirvana t-shirt and was like, oh hey i love that band, and the kid was like "they're a band?"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

I still listen to Michael Jackson, but not Kanye or Chris Brown. While Jackson's crimes were worse, the latter two are still alive and actively insufferable.

i wouldn't put kanye in the same category as the child molester of woman beater tbh

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Kanye is a divorce elemental

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I am not a fan of Kanye because my wife’s side of the family (including our daughter) are Jewish, and Kanye has some not-great views about them

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nah, but given that he’s dead, I don’t care If people like and listen to his music.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Still listen to him but its weird how one Pepsi ad managed to completely destroy his already destroyed life

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoONw5ABpE

Where else can I learn about Liberian women, OP

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mikhail Jekson

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I never did.

It's funny, I was talking to someone maybe ten years older than me and Michael Jackson was a huge part of the '90s for them. A continuation of the '80s, in other words. In my '90s, he was always known as that creepy-looking pedophile and was never anything but a punchline to edgy jokes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shinjobi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UoONw5ABpE

Where else can I learn about Liberian women, OP

Sorry only libertarian women for me :smug:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
oh wait I'm back to post that I can't listen to PYT for two reasons:

1) the fuckin obvious one
2) people doing kissy face noises into a mic skeeves me out

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
drat it, Janet Jackson

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Do you still listen to Jimmy Page/Zeppelin, David Bowie, Pete Townshend/the Who? Watch Seinfeld or his standup or Woody Allen and his movies or standup?
Personally, no right across the board, but I'm not going to tell someone not to.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I listen to Thriller every Halloween, but I was never a big fan otherwise.

The Moonwalker arcade game was badass, though.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Of course, his music is great, other then Beat It which he stole from Weird Al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i like the first three jackson 5 hits that are all basically the same song (i want you back, abc, the love you save) because a) that one song is so good it was 3 different number 1s, and b) he was like 12 and if anything the victim at that point

This is an interesting way to go about it. So the music he did before he went "bad" (lol get it) is fine. Fair enough