Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It has something to do with it being owned by a Chinese company and Americans' data security risk. TikTok says that US data is separate but I guess the US government wants them to sell the app and divest from the Chinese ownership. I don't use tiktok, for some reason I really don't like videos and would rather read things than watch a video so it's never interested me. But it's become a part of US culture at this point I feel like. There's also a lot of educational stuff on there from what I have heard, though most of it is just entertainment
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/15/1163782845/tiktok-bytedance-sell-biden-administration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I hope they do because it sucks

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Do it already.

Toxic Mental posted:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Toxic Mental posted:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Kill it please I want to bathe in zoomer tears :emo:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it should be against federal law to design any kind of social platform that orders content in anyway except the chronological order it was posted in

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
But it's ok for Facebook to own and abuse server farms worth of data because :911:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I would like the zoomers to stay contained in their little bubble and away from the comments sections of Youtube channels that I like so I support Tiktok

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Toxic Mental posted:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Croccers posted:

But it's ok for Facebook to own and abuse server farms worth of data because :911:

american companies exploit americans out of patriotic fervor. foreign companies exploit americans for nefarious purposes. that's how it work.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Bring back Vine, please; AFAIK it was owned by God worshiping, freedom loving, capitalist pig Americans.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The kid in vjne hosed a hot pocket idk anyone on TikTok is brave enough for that

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

We are in agreement. :hfive:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Old news

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This is GREAT for the forum

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Land of the free lol

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's literally not possible to ban tik tok so I wish everyone would stfu about it.

You can ban it from government phones, maybe even from app stores, but it's an application and people will just side load it and nobody can do poo poo about it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think we need to erect a freedom firewall to keep all the illegal websites out

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's pretty cool that Meta's lobbying and propaganda is going to become national law.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

It's literally not possible to ban tik tok so I wish everyone would stfu about it.

You can ban it from government phones, maybe even from app stores, but it's an application and people will just side load it and nobody can do poo poo about it.

Yeah, kids should be learning to circumvent arbitrary and stupid censorship in school, not at home

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Not really into the US or TikTok tbh.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the BTS army has declared war on the United States of America

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
TikTok sucks but in a sane world they'd have reached the conclusion that all major social media platforms are just as bad if not worse and do something about them. So whatever, gently caress the US government for their dogshit reasoning on this but also TikTok sucks so gently caress them too.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Leave Ke$ha alone.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only thing more toxic than Tik Tok is Twitter. They should ban them both.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

ban all phone apps in fact

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look I think we all know how this will go, they'll try and ban tik tok than those goof balls in washington will accidentally ban every website but TikTok, and hilarity ensues. Anyway well after a week of shenanigans or something everyone will learn a moral of some sort and everything will go back to normal.

Anyway I'll just sleep through it all as it sounds pretty awful TBH, but you all can do whatever.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Banning social media platforms to protect our youths from foreign government subversion.

Hans, we the baddies?

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
:byewhore:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Ban facebook, twitter, Instagram and USA thanks.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
When the Chinese inevitably storm our shores, they will be able to easily bypass our defenses because they can see all our tiktoks

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stupid as gently caress.

Talk about selective outrage. I guess only American companies are allowed to spy on their users.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Can elon buy tiktok too and then ruin it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ban everyone and everything imo

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
everything old is new again!

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/07/944039053/u-s-judge-halts-trumps-tiktok-ban-the-2nd-court-to-fully-block-the-action

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

We could designate it a terrorist tool and make anyone found using it subject to absolutely insane, over the top felony charges; we have the existing legal frameworks and precedents to do so. I find that pretty loving unlikely but also if it happened I think US utilization would fall by like, 99.9%.

Nothing that can be done with guns and fascist policies is impossible, really.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Starting my new app BikBok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

As much as I try to stay on top of social media and apps and all that poo poo, this was one I'm glad I know next to nothing about, and for good reason.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.