Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I seem to remember Trump was supposed to ban TikTok

This actually happening or more farts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Starting my new app BikBok

This sounds like it should be an old timey racial slur

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Wibbly tibbly ding dong tok

All trumps people couldn't put it back.together again

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

How much do you want to bet that, if they do go through with this and ban it, there'd be people out there selling phones with TikTok installed on it at huge prices, a la what happened with Flappy Bird? I can see people stupid enough to fall for this tactic.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

china can have my data, don't give a poo poo, will probably never go there anyway.

its those yanks I don't trust

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

china can have my data, don't give a poo poo, will probably never go there anyway.

its those yanks I don't trust

Its like everyone forgot about that scene in The Patriot where Mel Gibson says "Why would I trade 1 tyrant 1000 miles away for 1000 tyrants one mile away?"

If its not clear I'm agreeing with you.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

It's literally not possible to ban tik tok so I wish everyone would stfu about it.

You can ban it from government phones, maybe even from app stores, but it's an application and people will just side load it and nobody can do poo poo about it.

woke gop virtue signaling

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Is the us govt also going to ban leo from dating 19 year old girls

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Stupid as gently caress.

Talk about selective outrage. I guess only American companies are allowed to spy on their users.

lol you do know that US social media is banned in china right? No facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. No reason they should be able to exploit our social media morons if we can't exploit theirs

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If China wants my goddamn data so they can use it to harm my country, which I love, then they’d better pay me at least $250.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Force the zoomers to post on web forums.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Get the kids back to the playground and off of the toktok

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol you do know that US social media is banned in china right? No facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. No reason they should be able to exploit our social media morons if we can't exploit theirs

who cares

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Get the kids back to the playground and off of the toktok

Just get them off my internet, I don’t care where they go, sell them to the French foreign legion for all I care.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

And they dare to announce this during the annual season of "our Spring Break girl's trip to Miami has officially destroyed our friend group" videos?!?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7210423583930191147

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is that an actual trend thing that happens every year?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yes, like clockwork. To the point that people were even making videos about the trend...

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7125140261285449002

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

People selling their kids to the French foreign legion? Yeah every year when school lets out.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
There's people willing to buy them?! I can barely get someone to babysit

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiny Bug Child posted:

So we have to become China to fight China?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Instead of TikTok they can go to free republic and get de woked

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I mean we don't have to, but we kinda want to

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Good, I tried to make a gay hookup site for dudes only into frotting called “DickDock” and TikTok got me on copyright infringement. :mad:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
In China, the state owns the corporations.

In America, the corporations own the state.

Both countries suck.

All social media is bad and should be destroyed.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

it would probably take way more than banning one lovely video platform before we could say we truly adopted Xi Jinping Thought but in either case it's certainly not "selective outrage", just a pretty boring and reasonable tit-for-tat retaliation

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I was telling people not to use Facebook before it was cool

Social media died with Tom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it would probably take way more than banning one lovely video platform before we could say we truly adopted Xi Jinping Thought but in either case it's certainly not "selective outrage", just a pretty boring and reasonable tit-for-tat retaliation

I don't feel like there's anything reasonable about it. Who the gently caress cares what China does? If we're going to make them into the new Big Bad Guy of the 2020s, then why should we give a poo poo if they ban Facebook?

It's not that I care about Tik Tok; I'm allergic to the government censoring a site because of brain dead xenophobia, which is precisely what this is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 16, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DikKok

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Kids gonna be so mad when they cant tick tock, whatever happened to regular old clocks?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I don't feel like there's anything reasonable about it. Who the gently caress cares what China does? If we're going to make them into the new Big Bad Guy of the 2020s, then why should we give a poo poo if they ban Facebook?

This isn't even a bit; banning Tik Tok is donkey brained bullshit.

yeah absolutely, who the gently caress cares what a country of one and a half billion people does. no reason the us government should think about that. foreign policy genius

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yeah absolutely, who the gently caress cares what a country of one and a half billion people does. no reason the us government should think about that. foreign policy genius

You're not even talking about foreign policy but tit for tat because they banned Facebook. Like, who the gently caress cares about the "honor" (lol) of American social media companies?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

All social media is bad and should be destroyed.

ill make the website

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tiny Bug Child posted:

This but unironically

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The kids need less phone time and more time campaigning for oil CEOs rights and freedoms

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

I hope they do because it sucks

the algorithm reflects the user

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why all the complaints about TikTok don't the kids know about freedom social

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

You're not even talking about foreign policy but tit for tat because they banned Facebook. Like, who the gently caress cares about the "honor" (lol) of American social media companies?

idk where you got anything about "honor" from but making sure your companies are getting good terms in international trade is a pretty basic function of a government and a situation where their market is completely closed to us while we kick back and let them at ours can only be seen as a failure. and this is completely aside from the horrible fact that social media has strategic implications now. see: that time secret US bases got geolocated cause Troops kept running laps with their fitbits, or all the russians that were posting poo poo on telegram and giving away positions till they started confiscating phones.

so in summary, the decision should be a no-brainer: ban tik tok. by all means ban the other stuff too but tik tok first. thank you

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Toxic Mental posted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I hope the US bans TikTok because I don't get it and I don't want people to think I'm old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the meme here is that 'domestic surveillance is OK. Chinese Surveillance is not I guess', but um... Yeah, kinda.

I mean, we can't really do poo poo about the PRISM program, and we also aren't (probably) going to develop social policy around it, so... Yes - domestic surveillance is more tolerable then Chinese surveillance.

Also

Toxic Mental posted: