Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

olives black posted:

I would like the zoomers to stay contained in their little bubble and away from the comments sections of Youtube channels that I like so I support Tiktok

why contain it? let them spill over onto the youtubes and reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I would actually like to see videos of people in Hong Kong getting siu yeh tbh

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Stupid as gently caress.

Talk about selective outrage. I guess only American companies are allowed to spy on their users.
"Social Media is the last bastion of US innovation." :laffo:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

absolutely, there's a bunch of political reasons to hold them at arms-length which are more complex, I'm being reductive to point out they've never actually done anything to us and so there's also a hefty dose of propaganda in there, which can be seen in this thread with the 'business interests' chat

we made them a rival, and how much of an enemy they are has yet to be seen, and will in part be dictated by how we treat them on the world stage. It all feels like theatre, flexing to try and cow China, that's going to fail bc what reason do they have to give in?

No, dude. We did not 'make' them a rival. A lot of the source of this tension comes China's direct actions. Politically, the west isn't forcing them to support lovely regimes. Socially, the west isn't forcing them to implement draconian social programs, or conduct massive 're-education' efforts in camps. Economically, the west isn't forcing them to put Spyware that phones home to the CCP on literally every piece of hardware and software they release.

Xi is a loving crazy sociopath, and while there is definitely some level of propaganda in the west at times, it's not like it needs a lot of help.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I know about all of that poo poo. But those are all things they're doing to their own people that are being used as justification for us to not like them politically, when its funny that we're kinda ok with that poo poo elsewhere

I know full well about their Russian alliances and their lovely policies with their people, I'm not a tankie China stan, but cmon, banning TikTok is in no way related to that.

Xi is absolutely a sociopath but again, threatening to ban TikTok in no way resists those social policies or even reflects on them.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Just admit it, you hate freedom and love dictators.

I’m mostly joking, don’t report me to the forum fuzz.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 16, 2023

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Stupid as gently caress.

Talk about selective outrage. I guess only American companies are allowed to spy on their users.

Brace yourself for something that sound like conspiracy nonsense:

Tik toc is a Chinese weapon, there are a LOT of actual qualified experts saying there’s a very nefarious reason the Chinese government is pushing an app on the west that’s disruptive to the mental health and ability to learn/focus and concentrate of this generations youth. There are already massive gulfs in education and life quality between users and non users of tik toc.

To paraphrase one researcher “compare the current generation of western children (using Tik toc) to the Chinese children not using it (because China does not allow its youth to use it) and extrapolate this two generations down the line”.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People are willing to accept that Electronic Arts would intentionally design something to be mentality unhealthy, but not the Chinese government lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
well, considering they released it upon their own people first, would be really dumb. kids having limited access to douyin is a newer thing. Teenage mode, limiting those 14 or under to 40 mins a day, only appeared in 2021.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

China

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

well, considering they released it upon their own people first, would be really dumb.

Your right, China historically is very good to its own citizens

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

well, considering they released it upon their own people first, would be really dumb. kids having limited access to douyin is a newer thing. Teenage mode, limiting those 14 or under to 40 mins a day, only appeared in 2021.

lmao you posted this

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
TBC got it right that this is just tit-for-tat economic retaliation. The security concerns are a red herring and you are insanely dumb if you believe that tiktok is a weapon to make kids dumber

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You drat kids today with your TikToks and your Tide Pod challenges.

Back in my day, we used to HTML up our MySpace pages to be sparkly.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

tractor fanatic posted:

TBC got it right that this is just tit-for-tat economic retaliation. The security concerns are a red herring and you are insanely dumb if you believe that tiktok is a weapon to make kids dumber

I still hate it and think children should be discouraged from dancing. I had and have dyspraxia and children dancing fills me with irrational, nearly violent jealousy. Fun fact: they only give you sympathy at school if you use a wheelchair or scooter, not if you involuntarily walk like a drunk, then they just call you the r-word, which they don’t call the actual r-worded students for some reason, also they didn’t get in trouble for calling you that in the 90’s. Dancing is an act of total loving HUBRIS. It’s why God punished Hank Hill and why God will nuke TikTok from His throne in Hell.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

precision posted:

Your right, China historically is very good to its own citizens

KakerMix posted:

lmao you posted this

the conspiracy theory posted specifically suggests that China somehow protected their children from Tiktok to make them smarter than Americans and take us down :psyduck:

so if this ^^^^^ is the case it still falls apart

look guys either they're torturing everyone or they're supercharging their children to fight the evil West, which is it???

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 16, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I still hate it and think children should be discouraged from dancing. I had and have dyspraxia and children dancing fills me with irrational, nearly violent jealousy. Fun fact: they only give you sympathy at school if you use a wheelchair or scooter, not if you involuntarily walk like a drunk, then they just call you the r-word, which they don’t call the actual r-worded students for some reason, also they didn’t get in trouble for calling you that in the 90’s. Dancing is an act of total loving HUBRIS. It’s why God punished Hank Hill and why God will nuke TikTok from His throne in Hell.

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
gently caress you Nigmaetcetera im going to snitch the second i remember how to report someone you're hosed

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

thin blue whine posted:

gently caress you Nigmaetcetera im going to snitch the second i remember how to report someone you're hosed

Nooooooooooooo

But seriously,

Nooooooooooooooo don’t do that I have nothing else going for me right now but the forums i needs em i needs em i sez

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Prettz posted:

ban all phones in fact

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
America's Funniest Home Videos was a Chinese weapon designed to destroy the minds of America's military-age youths.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

America's Funniest Home Videos was a Chinese weapon designed to destroy the minds of America's military-age youths.

Actually it was designed to cause concussions in middle aged men who decided to jump head first onto their trampoline from their roof.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
TikTok was specifically designed to distract American nurses during their workday such that the entire healthcare system falls apart

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

TikTok was specifically designed to distract American nurses during their workday such that the entire healthcare system falls apart

That and cocaine. I only know one nurse but she doesn’t go ten minutes without using one or the other.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ban anyone under 20ish? that's on TikTok because they are a pedo

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
tik tok is cool and fun but like libs of tik tok and poo poo like that needs to be policied but thats not why they want to ban it infact if tik tok was us based and libs of tik tok was banned the chuds would be up in arms as per usual about chuds being silenced.

also kinda sad to see what i assume are mostly millenials and younger gen x hating on gen z's go to website to post funny clips for t heir friends.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
I made one tik tok and it got taken down because it was a joke with the word 'cum' in it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
You can't hate cum, you were cum at one point

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
On the one hand, yeah, cool.

On the other, the Zoomers will never forgive us and, in a few decades, will destroy the American way of life as an intentional and carefully planned revenge.

IMO, win-win.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nigmaetcetera posted:

That and cocaine. I only know one nurse but she doesn’t go ten minutes without using one or the other.

You see she could be much more efficient if she just did them both at once.

It's this sort of inefficient work practices that are destroying the youth of today!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Show me Subgenius tiktok

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Extra row of tits posted:

Brace yourself for something that sound like conspiracy nonsense:

Tik toc is a Chinese weapon, there are a LOT of actual qualified experts saying there’s a very nefarious reason the Chinese government is pushing an app on the west that’s disruptive to the mental health and ability to learn/focus and concentrate of this generations youth. There are already massive gulfs in education and life quality between users and non users of tik toc.

To paraphrase one researcher “compare the current generation of western children (using Tik toc) to the Chinese children not using it (because China does not allow its youth to use it) and extrapolate this two generations down the line”.

Propaganda through pink sauce? That's a bit....out there for me.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

:mods:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
How the he'll am I supposed to keep up with the lingo without tixkitok?

Do you know hard it was just to learn how to use ratched in everyday conversations thar arnt about cars?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I use the TikTok’s to watch cat and dog videos and plumbing and electrician videos so I’m doing my part to really gently caress with the algorithm.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

the conspiracy theory posted specifically suggests that China somehow protected their children from Tiktok to make them smarter than Americans and take us down :psyduck:

so if this ^^^^^ is the case it still falls apart

look guys either they're torturing everyone or they're supercharging their children to fight the evil West, which is it???

“China's version of TikTok offers a child-friendly version, with educational videos and a time limit, that isn't offered in the U.S”

This isn’t a conspiracy, China makes huge efforts to prevent tictok use in its territory. The people qualified to state this have done so.

Ask yourself this: “why so I trust researchers and experts that the covid vaccine is safe, but don’t thrust researchers and experts that tiktoc is exactly what they say?”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bro that child version came out in 2021 as a response to how social media is loving up kids, it's only been two years. Not enough time for this grand generational sea change being suggested in the conspiracy theory.

Also we've made enough apps to destroy our own minds already, TikTok is just capitalizing on what we already did to ourselves.

TikTok is bad for brains but not because it was designed in a lab to attack American children, but because it's a social media app that hijacks our brains reward system. It's known for having the best algorithm in terms of narrowing down content that is hyper-targeted to the user so it plugs directly into some of our worst instincts in terms of distraction.

It is this way to sell advertising.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 17, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Just go give xi a handy if you love him so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Lol you think Xi made TikTok to attack American children