Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tiny Bug Child posted:

a situation where their market is completely closed to us while we kick back and let them at ours can only be seen as a failure.

toxic masculinity really gets into everything, doesn't it. 'we should ban tiktok because not doing so makes us look like WEAK FAILURES'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'China is ignoring us we can't let them one up us that way bro!!!!!!'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
our reputation on the world stage has been sullied by showing such craven, foul impotence as allowing a karaoke app

the world mocks us as fools and yet we allow this travesty to continue!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I in fact find hawk-like security obsessions hidden within 'pro-business' rhetoric very toxic yes

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nigmaetcetera posted:

^^^^^^^ it’s because china is a rival bordering on being an enemy, dumbass.

are they really though? wtf are they doing that's so insidious to America, specifically.

they're a business rival but only because our current system depends on there being nations with a lower cost of living than us to make our goods, because we literally can't afford the goods we make for ourselves at the rates we get paid. and so we turned to china, and it used being in such a position to gain leverage and world power and somehow all of that leads us to here, this moment where our response is trying to ban tiktok for the second time with our conditions being that the Chinese can be involved in its administration but shouldn't own it/make money from it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm more getting at the idea that the concept of China being treated by the US as a threat and a rival is less about what China has done to us, and more from the US realizing, far far too late, we've enriched China beyond them needing us anymore, and that is absolutely terrifying.

so are they really a threat and a rival, or are they just no longer bound to us?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
also unfortunately that's not 'human nature', that's capitalism, which isn't inherent, it was created! and it's unsustainable! eventually you run out of places where the COL is lower, but that's a problem for your descendents to figure out, right?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
absolutely, there's a bunch of political reasons to hold them at arms-length which are more complex, I'm being reductive to point out they've never actually done anything to us and so there's also a hefty dose of propaganda in there, which can be seen in this thread with the 'business interests' chat

we made them a rival, and how much of an enemy they are has yet to be seen, and will in part be dictated by how we treat them on the world stage. It all feels like theatre, flexing to try and cow China, that's going to fail bc what reason do they have to give in?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I know about all of that poo poo. But those are all things they're doing to their own people that are being used as justification for us to not like them politically, when its funny that we're kinda ok with that poo poo elsewhere

I know full well about their Russian alliances and their lovely policies with their people, I'm not a tankie China stan, but cmon, banning TikTok is in no way related to that.

Xi is absolutely a sociopath but again, threatening to ban TikTok in no way resists those social policies or even reflects on them.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
well, considering they released it upon their own people first, would be really dumb. kids having limited access to douyin is a newer thing. Teenage mode, limiting those 14 or under to 40 mins a day, only appeared in 2021.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

precision posted:

Your right, China historically is very good to its own citizens

KakerMix posted:

lmao you posted this

the conspiracy theory posted specifically suggests that China somehow protected their children from Tiktok to make them smarter than Americans and take us down :psyduck:

so if this ^^^^^ is the case it still falls apart

look guys either they're torturing everyone or they're supercharging their children to fight the evil West, which is it???

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 16, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
TikTok was specifically designed to distract American nurses during their workday such that the entire healthcare system falls apart

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bro that child version came out in 2021 as a response to how social media is loving up kids, it's only been two years. Not enough time for this grand generational sea change being suggested in the conspiracy theory.

Also we've made enough apps to destroy our own minds already, TikTok is just capitalizing on what we already did to ourselves.

TikTok is bad for brains but not because it was designed in a lab to attack American children, but because it's a social media app that hijacks our brains reward system. It's known for having the best algorithm in terms of narrowing down content that is hyper-targeted to the user so it plugs directly into some of our worst instincts in terms of distraction.

It is this way to sell advertising.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 17, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Lol you think Xi made TikTok to attack American children

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

satanic splash-back posted:

Yes we understand you don't understand the world but please shut up and allow the people who do country wide security their whole lives to do their jobs imo.

have you met people who work in security and defense? Because, as you said, they've done it their whole lives, they can lose perspective from having tunnel vision on this one topic, and some of those folks are loving nutso fascists, I would absolutely NOT shut up and just blindly trust them to do whatever.

trying to make this some 'you're just not trusting the EXPERTS' thing is real disingenuous and puts you in the same camp as this guy:

Extra row of tits posted:

Ask yourself this: “why so I trust researchers and experts that the covid vaccine is safe, but don’t thrust researchers and experts that tiktoc is exactly what they say?”

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

satanic splash-back posted:

I was being sarcastic but I forget other people haven't met defense and security people much in their lives.

Ahhhhhhh ok yeh sorry for missing the sarcasm, Poe's Law and all that.

Sophy Wackles posted:

"China is just misunderstood and they would never do anything bad!!" :china:

oh china do much bad. i dunno who in the thread is suggesting they don't. but banning TikTok has nothing to do with all the human rights abuses. it's economic and yeah sure some security in there, but mostly, not even hidden by the statements the US is making, it's about the money. .

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 17, 2023