Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the meme here is that 'domestic surveillance is OK. Chinese Surveillance is not I guess', but um... Yeah, kinda.

I mean, we can't really do poo poo about the PRISM program, and we also aren't (probably) going to develop social policy around it, so... Yes - domestic surveillance is more tolerable then Chinese surveillance.

Also

Toxic Mental posted:

I hope they do because it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm more getting at the idea that the concept of China being treated by the US as a threat and a rival is less about what China has done to us, and more from the US realizing, far far too late, we've enriched China beyond them needing us anymore, and that is absolutely terrifying.

so are they really a threat and a rival, or are they just no longer bound to us?

The relationship here is enormously complicated and summing it up on a post on the Internet is not going to happen, but this is not 'China doesn't need us anymore'. I mean, there is an economical piece of this, but China is involved with a ton of domestic cooperate and political espionage, can be a problematic force in some trade agreements, and can be a thorn in the side of international politics. They have a warm enough relationship with Russia to not condemn the invasion of Ukraine in the UN and they have their fingers in a lot of other countries doing lovely things. There are a huge pile of things that makes the relationship between the US and China complicated and dicey.

This it not some defense of the US or insisting that the US is doing only good things, but poo poo is very complex and there are OK-to-good reasons for the US to be wary of China.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

absolutely, there's a bunch of political reasons to hold them at arms-length which are more complex, I'm being reductive to point out they've never actually done anything to us and so there's also a hefty dose of propaganda in there, which can be seen in this thread with the 'business interests' chat

we made them a rival, and how much of an enemy they are has yet to be seen, and will in part be dictated by how we treat them on the world stage. It all feels like theatre, flexing to try and cow China, that's going to fail bc what reason do they have to give in?

No, dude. We did not 'make' them a rival. A lot of the source of this tension comes China's direct actions. Politically, the west isn't forcing them to support lovely regimes. Socially, the west isn't forcing them to implement draconian social programs, or conduct massive 're-education' efforts in camps. Economically, the west isn't forcing them to put Spyware that phones home to the CCP on literally every piece of hardware and software they release.

Xi is a loving crazy sociopath, and while there is definitely some level of propaganda in the west at times, it's not like it needs a lot of help.