Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

trans is inherently a contemporary relationship with gender and it's not productive to project it onto people in the past, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Any funny answers yet? Just kidding I already know

Mine was pretty good

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Ancient Anatolians are historically attested as loving horses. I'm pretty sure the whole conceit of the Trojan horse was to horn the Trojans up so much they would pull it inside, risk be damned, so of course it had a dick.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

have you seen my baby posted:

trans is inherently a contemporary relationship with gender and it's not productive to project it onto people in the past, op

I guess it depends what you are trying to produce.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Stop overthinking the horse joke you stupid nerds

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Mine was pretty good

I don't know which one it was. I refuse to tell you bernies apart

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
That's racist

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

That doesn't make sense. Cultures have been explicitly stating what genders are since the invention of language.
If someone from the past didn't conform to what the prevailing understanding of gender was at the time they were alive, how were they not trans in their context?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dracula

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

d.b cooper

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
theophrastus von hohenheim (1493-1541)

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Hatebag posted:

That doesn't make sense. Cultures have been explicitly stating what genders are since the invention of language.
If someone from the past didn't conform to what the prevailing understanding of gender was at the time they were alive, how were they not trans in their context?

There are contexts which have explicitly stated the existence of non-binary genders, someone could have conformed to one of those non-binary genders according to the prevailing understanding of gender at their time, but it doesn't further an understanding of that person's lived experience to label them as trans

also language wasn't invented

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
there was a weird meme on trans twitter for a while that tried to semi-jokingly map the modern trans experience to historical shamanism (ie haphazardly and overly flattening)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Mom dad I need help you have to help I need to know who was trans, please don't sing Dragula

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
joan of arc

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
me

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the unabomber

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
literally wanted to be a man so she could join the army

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also is mulan a real person or just a story

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

There are contexts which have explicitly stated the existence of non-binary genders, someone could have conformed to one of those non-binary genders according to the prevailing understanding of gender at their time, but it doesn't further an understanding of that person's lived experience to label them as trans

also language wasn't invented

That doesn't mean that people in the past didn't identify with the gender opposite to their biological gender though? I don't think that saying people in the past were trans implies that non-binary people don't exist

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Hatebag posted:

That doesn't mean that people in the past didn't identify with the gender opposite to their biological gender though? I don't think that saying people in the past were trans implies that non-binary people don't exist

biological gender is also a contemporary concept that shouldn't be projected onto others

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

helen of trans

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

i'm going to do it anyway for fun

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Cyber Six

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nadezhda Durova

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

biological gender is also a contemporary concept that shouldn't be projected onto others

It's not a contemporary concept. You can look at someone's dna and figure it out. If you had Hammurabi's dna from a nut preserved in amber you could determine their biological gender

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Mom dad I need help you have to help I need to know who was trans, please don't sing Dragula

Rob Zombie was also trans

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Hatebag posted:

It's not a contemporary concept. You can look at someone's dna and figure it out. If you had Hammurabi's dna from a nut preserved in amber you could determine their biological gender

nah

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Well i guess if you like to invent your own special world of silly facts that's fine, no skin off my back

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Hammurabi's Nut would be a good username though

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bill clinton was the first black woman president 👊

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Well i guess if you like to invent your own special world of silly facts that's fine, no skin off my back

is biological gender determined by chromosomes, anatomy, hormone profile, some combination, or something else entirely?

probably some combination, but where the line gets drawn isn't objective

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

is biological gender determined by chromosomes, anatomy, hormone profile, some combination, or something else entirely?

probably some combination, but where the line gets drawn isn't objective

Genotype is what determines biological gender. Xx, xy, or something else

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

has anyone said Jesus yet?

I'm gonna say Jesus Christ Was Trans

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
jesus was clearly non-binary

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
ancient Hebraic people had more than 2 accepted genders and there are very old assessments that Jesus was at least a femboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Genotype is what determines biological gender. Xx, xy, or something else

idk I think this was suggested in like the late 1800s or early 1900s? seems pretty contemporary