Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's the overpaid tech worker forum, i never post anywhere else. am i confusing it for yospos

edit ya

apologies to imp zone who definitely do not order food delivery every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

home depot self-checkout continues to be an amazing deal

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

god bless corporations for passing on such big savings to consumers :patriot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the teen monitoring the station was right there and I still got 24ft of shelving plus hardware for $90. the teen thanked me and I said thank you back

Griz
May 21, 2001

last time i went to lowe's they had 3/4 of the self checkouts closed because there was only one employee to monitor them. i also had to stand there for half an hour waiting for them to get a microwave out of the back because they only had one guy who could use the forklift and he was on break

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Griz posted:

i also had to stand there for half an hour waiting for them to get a microwave out of the back because they only had one guy who could use the forklift and he was on break

the training to get certified on one of these is 2 hours long if the trainee is an idiot, for only one person on a shift to be able to use it means turnover is insane and/or management is just fully incompetent

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also based on my past experience with non union jobs the fact that they didn’t just force someone who was untrained to do it is kind of impressive

Griz
May 21, 2001

the appliances dude was like "I also do construction and carry bigger things up and down ladders all the time but management would poo poo a brick if I found a ladder and got it myself"

i assume they had a recent fuckup that resulted in a lawsuit

vyLkinSinksTheShip
Apr 6, 2023

by vyelkin
the last time i went to lowes they had an entire isle of defective blinds (prob like 10 grand worth of defective product) and a whole section of identical ceiling fans

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the aisle of misfit blinds

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Al! posted:

the aisle of misfit blinds

that's ableist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

vyLkinSinksTheShip posted:

a whole section of identical ceiling fans

this is life in communist Venezuela.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

i say swears online posted:

all self-checkouts are a bargain as long as you don't get greedy.

i think a good rule of thumb is never try to skim more then 20% off the bill.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the problem is some places let you get away with it deliberately until they have evidence for a felony theft charge. so you gotta stay low and spread it out. in PA that means under $2k/2 years

NothingButDementia
Apr 13, 2023

by the sex ghost
welcome to a warzone property owners

Walmart announced Tuesday it will close half of its stores in Chicago on Sunday.

quote:

The four stores closing are:

-#5781 Chatham Supercenter, the Walmart Health center, and the Walmart Academy, 8431 S. Stewart Ave.

-#3166 Kenwood Neighborhood Market, 4720 S. Cottage Grove Ave.

-#5645 Lakeview Neighborhood Market, 2844 N. Broadway St.

-#5646 Little Village Neighborhood Market, 2551 W. Cermak Road

The company said all associates at the store are eligible to be transferred to another Walmart location.

The pharmacies at the closing locations will remain open to serve patients for up to 30 days.

In a news release, the company said in part, "Our Chicago stores have not been profitable since we opened the first one nearly 17 years ago - these stores lose tens of millions of dollars a year, and their annual losses nearly doubled in just the last five years. :dafuq: The remaining four Chicago stores continue to face the same business difficulties, but we think this decision gives us the best chance to help keep them open and serving the community."

"I think it's terrible," said Chatham customer Norma Gregory. "Target left, now Walmart is gone, we don't have anything in our community anymore."

Alderman Howard Brookins fought to get Walmart in the Chatham area and for it to reopen after the civil unrest in 2020.

"To hear today, a couple of hours ago, that they are going to close, a profound disappointment and sadness overcame me," he said.

The company said it has tried different strategies, including building smaller stores and offering services beyond retail, but says they have not improved stores' performance.

"They made all these improvements, they put the Walmart Academy here, and it's just so hard to believe they are just going to close it all down it's just going to be a huge vacant space," said Chatham customer Sharon Woods.

Walmart Academy offers classes and workshops to the Chatham community. All those programs have been canceled, although a Walmart spokesperson said the company plans to donate the academy for community uses.

Mayor-elect Brandon Johnson released a statement on the closings, saying, "Walmart's decision to close four locations in Chicago will leave a void in the communities they serve, particularly stores located in communities that have historically lacked options for grocery stores and pharmacies. These stores served as a crucial lifeline for communities to obtain fresh, affordable produce. We are committed to identifying ways to fill the gaps these closures will leave in neighborhoods and find creative solutions to repurpose these facilities to the community's benefit."

nice buzzwords brandon johnson, maybe get out of the mayors office and actively court kroger or something???? jesus CHRISt! not a single mention from the CTA of what the remaining grocery store bus stops and train stations look like now that they are serving 5 times the amount of grocery riders :btroll:, i mean, JesuS CRhiSt!!

talk about living in a warzone.

brandon johnson is a pathetic obama joke

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm sorry, but they're claiming they've had 8 stores for 17 years and they've never been profitable?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm sorry, but they're claiming they've had 8 stores for 17 years and they've never been profitable?

i could understand this if it was ten, blah blah expansion plans blah blah market synergies blah blah inroads into new territory, ten year checkup, we're cutting bait on this project.

seventeen is a WEIRD point to say that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

i presume this is a walmart pre-emptive union-busting thing?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

i presume this is a walmart pre-emptive union-busting thing?

Or their tax breaks ran out and the mayor wouldn't reup it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1647926864852180997

"city thing"

Huh, wonder what that means...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I’m also curious how you could possibly restrict snap more than it already is

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
restricting nutrition intake surely won't lead to massive generational issues

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

not sure the person in this photo could maybe save some food for the needy hah myth busted

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

restricting nutrition intake surely won't lead to massive generational issues

Just for "city folks".

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

McCracAttack posted:

Just for "city folks".

Pell grant recipients who live in an economically disadvantaged area, yeah

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
A lot of farmer's markets I have been to, or heard advertised, at least here in new england, offer to double or even triple the SNAP dollars spent at the farmer's market which is a pretty awesome thing imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
SNAP is a farm subisidy first and the fact that it helps people eat is only a side benefit. if they could keep SNAP and throw everyone off of food stamps they would

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Al! posted:

SNAP is a farm subisidy first and the fact that it helps people eat is only a side benefit. if they could keep SNAP and throw everyone off of food stamps they would

the rule of thumb in America is that sometimes we can help poor people, but only if it also helps rich people

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

the rule of thumb in America is that sometimes we can help poor people, but only if it also helps rich people

Idk if you've noticed but that isn't really true anymore

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grapplejack posted:

Idk if you've noticed but that isn't really true anymore

"ah, but have you considered that free college would also allow billionaire kids to steal community college educations away from working class students?"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's amazing how often the non-existence of a social safety net in America boils down to "but what if we help too many people?"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Brrrmph posted:

Aldi salmon is wild caught and last summer was only $7.99/lb. I haven’t looked lately, though.

Lidl also has wild caught fish at decent prices, sometimes (not too infrequently)

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

McCracAttack posted:

It's amazing how often the non-existence of a social safety net in America boils down to "but what if we help too many people?"

what amazes me is the notion that richie mcfuckstick esq. iii is gonna choose to go to the community college of rhode island instead of some overseas party school because money isn't real to them anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
spent 50 bux on one bag of groceries. just buying staples like beans and canned tomatoes smdh

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im not sure what you are buying there, but you could likely save a lot of money by just sticking to staples like beans and canned tomatoes

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My kids wanted ice cream milkshakes last night and between 4 flavors of ice cream and various toppings I spent $76 at the grocery store lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Guillotine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Guillotine

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

uhhhhhh if you like your food, you can eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lord of Pie posted:

uhhhhhh if you like your food, you can eat it

it's their food. they're supposed to eat it!