Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hadlock posted:

So hypothetically if you were buying a house this month, would you choose to rate lock today at 6.25% or wait and see what the fed does tomorrow

I wouldn't expect the rates to stay that high the entire time, but if you can absolutely worst case afford it, and you don't want to wait for a few years, just do it.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

Rate Lock. I also wouldn't touch any variable interest rate poo poo. Just refinance when we inevitably and rashly crash interest rates again.

In this hypothetical situation due to short term cash flow the loan profile would need to be variable, either a 5/1 or 7/1

Seems like thread consensus is that a refinance in 5 years would yield a lower rate

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hadlock posted:

In this hypothetical situation due to short term cash flow the loan profile would need to be variable, either a 5/1 or 7/1

Seems like thread consensus is that a refinance in 5 years would yield a lower rate

Yeah, to be clear, I assumed you meant more like 20 years for the lifetime, not 5.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeahhhh, a rate lock on a fixed rate loan gives you the freedom to refi when rates drop but keep that rate if they don't go down. An ARM is an actual gamble about future interest rates and I'm not a big fan of that.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
It's unlikely that rates are higher in five years than they are now, but gotta evaluate what happens if they are.

House will probably have lost value, you may have trouble refinancing, and the payments are going to go up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

Man, I mean an ARM now makes more sense than an ARM a couple years ago but I wouldn't feel great about it.

Baddog posted:

It's unlikely that rates are higher in five years than they are now, but gotta evaluate what happens if they are.

House will probably have lost value, you may have trouble refinancing, and the payments are going to go up.

Basically this. We're not in bad times right now, we're in uncertain times. Fixed rate is almost certainly short-term pain but it puts you in more control. How much lower are the ARM rates?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hypothetically a 5/1 arm is 6.50 and 7/1 is 6.35, whereas 30 year is 6.675, the spread on total monthly payment is about 4.7%

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Long term fixed rate mortgages and the ability to refinance without penalty are pretty much the only good things about the US property market

Dont get an ARM

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Hadlock posted:

So hypothetically if you were buying a house this month, would you choose to rate lock today at 6.25% or wait and see what the fed does tomorrow

there is absolutely no chance the fed will cut rates tomorrow. at most it’s a pause followed by a hike in may and I think there’s still a strong chance of another 25 point hike tomorrow

markets are dovish but they’ve been dovish for at least the last four fomc meetings and they’ve been wrong every time

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I gotta admit, if I HAD to buy a house right now, I'd be tempted by an arm. I think I did one for my first house, wayyy back in the day when rates were even higher than now.

Do the math though, and be realistic about your "risk of ruin" and what exactly that scenario would be if rates never come down to where you can refi into a fixed. It's potentially very bad.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Hypothetically a 5/1 arm is 6.50 and 7/1 is 6.35, whereas 30 year is 6.675, the spread on total monthly payment is about 4.7%

When I said rate lock, I meant "lock in the rate on your 30 year mortgage and get going with it." Under no general circumstance will I ever, ever recommend an ARM, especially to someone in a HCOL area like where you are buying.

You have much more room to go up than you do down, and a lot more history of up than down in the modernish era. Bite the bullet on a 30yr at 6.675 and then refinance if you get lucky and they go down. If the 4.7% payment spread is painful enough to be worth the risk of an interest shock on a property in Marin, I'd question whether you're financially able to buy the house in the first place.

Bias alert though: I heavily value stable financial prediction over min-max, and I'll take a suboptimal return/costlier approach if it gives me substantial certainty.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my wife is a lot less risk tolerant than I am, especially in $house dollars. This is not a Fintech despac #yolo play

We hypothetically locked in the hypothetical 30 year fixed with the 1 point buy down (6.6xx%)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

econ folks, we have a poll going on over in the book thread (poll only visible when reading SA in a browser, I think?). please drop by and vote while waiting for jpow today:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025922

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NYT and WSJ both putting out hit pieces on the commercial real estate industry today. I thought we were all in agreement to not talk out loud about commercial real estate in the wake of WFH

nyt posted:

The universe of commercial real estate includes loans for new construction, mortgages and loans specifically for managing multifamily apartment complexes. The so-called securitized products containing loans that banks make are called commercial mortgage-backed securities — a more than $72 billion market last year. But it’s a different story in 2023, with issuance of those bonds down 78 percent from a year ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/22/business/svb-signature-commercial-real-estate.html

I can't find the WSJ link right now but theirs was saying SF rent prices are down 30% which is near if not at the top of the list of most precarious markets post covid

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Federal Reserve raises benchmark rate by 0.25 point despite bank turmoil (non-paywall link)

quote:

The Federal Reserve raised interest rates by a quarter of a percentage point on Wednesday, moving forward with its fight against high inflation despite concern that its rate hikes may be fueling instability in the banking system.

Financial markets expected the move, which brings the Fed’s base policy rate to between 4.75 and 5 percent.
The central bank is also facing questions about its regulatory oversight of Silicon Valley Bank, as Washington tries to figure out whether the government could have prevented the turmoil in the banking sector.

“There is risk for the Fed here,” Tim Duy, a Fed expert at the University of Oregon and chief economist at SGH Macro Advisors, wrote in an analyst note. “If the Fed hikes, it must be reasonably confident that regulators have ringfenced the banking problems. If the Fed hikes rates and bank failures multiply, the political fallout will be intense.”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So did you rate lock yesterday? :v:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Wait the fed said today that his target for I location is just 2%. That seems incredibly low.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
that’s exactly what he’s been saying for half a year

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, that certainly feels like a bold move given that one of the proximate causes of this crisis seems to be interest rates rising, unless the goal is to state that the Fed is serious and that yes if you're holding onto assets that'll be hosed by interest rates you better sort your poo poo because we're not stopping.

Borscht posted:

Wait the fed said today that his target for I location is just 2%. That seems incredibly low.

I wouldn't have even increased rates right now, let alone said my true target is 6% if that was the case. Even if half the economy called your bluff, the wheels just fell off the other half of the car as everyone starts scrambling to hedge themselves against your intended rate hikes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they should have bought the hedges months ago yes lol

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they should have bought the hedges months ago yes lol

The good news is that after this crisis passes they'll make the same mistake again in 5-10 years. Finance is a flat loving circle. And economics is just a gateway to alcoholism.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Warmachine posted:

Well, that certainly feels like a bold move given that one of the proximate causes of this crisis seems to be interest rates rising, unless the goal is to state that the Fed is serious and that yes if you're holding onto assets that'll be hosed by interest rates you better sort your poo poo because we're not stopping.

Did you just forget about the inflation problem or...?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
man there are like three whole forums just for doomposting

e: less shitposty:

Warmachine posted:

I wouldn't have even increased rates right now, let alone said my true target is 6% if that was the case. Even if half the economy called your bluff, the wheels just fell off the other half of the car as everyone starts scrambling to hedge themselves against your intended rate hikes.

They announced almost identical dot plots in november, december, february, and now march, and have insisted every time that they’re going to get inflation down to 2%, and they lose all credibility if they change their minds now. If the markets wanted to bet dovish in spite of all that, well, the dual mandate isn’t about asset price stability.

This is, in all likelihood, a downgrade from what they were going to do two weeks ago which was a half point hike, and at this point I think the only thing that can seriously slow them down is if unemployment suddenly ticks up to like 4.5%, and it’s shown absolutely no sign it’s about to

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 23, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Borscht posted:

The Fed's inflation target has been 2% for decades. It has low inflation/steady prices as part of its responsibilities, and it hit upon 2% as the official number that meets that definition a while back. It became official policy in 2012.

quote:

The inflation rate over the longer run is primarily determined by monetary policy, and hence the Committee has the ability to specify a longer-run goal for inflation. The Committee reaffirms its judgment that inflation at the rate of 2 percent, as measured by the annual change in the price index for personal consumption expenditures, is most consistent over the longer run with the Federal Reserve's statutory mandate. The Committee judges that longer-term inflation expectations that are well anchored at 2 percent foster price stability and moderate long-term interest rates and enhance the Committee's ability to promote maximum employment in the face of significant economic disturbances. In order to anchor longer-term inflation expectations at this level, the Committee seeks to achieve inflation that averages 2 percent over time, and therefore judges that, following periods when inflation has been running persistently below 2 percent, appropriate monetary policy will likely aim to achieve inflation moderately above 2 percent for some time.

Monetary policy actions tend to influence economic activity, employment, and prices with a lag. In setting monetary policy, the Committee seeks over time to mitigate shortfalls of employment from the Committee's assessment of its maximum level and deviations of inflation from its longer-run goal. Moreover, sustainably achieving maximum employment and price stability depends on a stable financial system. Therefore, the Committee's policy decisions reflect its longer-run goals, its medium-term outlook, and its assessments of the balance of risks, including risks to the financial system that could impede the attainment of the Committee's goals.

They also have a helpful guide that shows the difference in their original 2012 statement and the revised edition they put out in 2020.

EDIT:

Here's another interesting read, on the New Zealand inflation-targeting policies in the 1990s that ended up making 2% the defacto "right" amount of inflation in the minds of most economists.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 23, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lockback posted:

Did you just forget about the inflation problem or...?

No, I'm arguing that inflation is bad, but tacking inflation and a banking crisis are mutually exclusive. That's not doomposting, that's just concluding that the tools to control inflation are the same tools that lit the fuse with the banks who had their assets tied up in long-term bonds sensitive to interest rate increases. I legitimately don't think the Fed can unwind both at the same time. It may not be the job of the Fed to shepherd the banks, but I don't think it's wise to blindly chase inflation targets without consideration for the side effects that is going to have when we're seeing actual bank runs kill off banks. Admittedly the history of banking is not my strong suit, but to my knowledge bank runs and failures of the magnitude we've just seen are extremely rare events and shouldn't be ignored.

I also completely misread the post I was replying to, so that's on me. LanceHunter is right. And IIRC it was unofficial policy long before it was codified.

That said, I stick by my assertion that I don't think raising the funds rate in the middle of a banking crisis is a good idea. Yeah, it's a Thursday Morning Economist statement from someone who never made good on their threats to go to grad school, but as far as keeping economic gears turning, economies can survive the current level of inflation just fine, but doing something that might exacerbate a banking crisis will do more harm than good and I think it's a baffling move for the Fed to charge forward on its inflation directive right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silicon Valley Bank wasn't just holding loads of bonds, they hadn't hedged them. To the degree we're in a "banking crisis" it's mostly about one bank failure, plus a crypto bank failure, plus one more bank that was weak and has been shored up already. Most of the banks will have properly hedged their bond investments, and furthermore Yellen et. al. have already announced to the market that they'll protect depositors, which should head off any further bank runs even if more banks find themselves struggling due to losses on bond portfolios which, I'll reiterate, most well-run banks have properly hedged.

I think if we're still talking about banks failing in a month I'll be shocked.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Warmachine posted:

It may not be the job of the Fed to shepherd the banks, but I don't think it's wise to blindly chase inflation targets without consideration for the side effects that is going to have when we're seeing actual bank runs kill off banks.

Short answer: it sort of is, in the sense that the first job of any central bank, before inflation targeting was invented, was preventing bank panics. If a bank is fundamentally solvent, the Fed has a legitimate role to play in keeping them functional in the face of market instability.

That’s why they’re not “blindly” chasing inflation targets. They’re collecting data and they have an army of PhD economists to analyze it, as well as conduct high-level meetings with the treasury secretary and top banking executives, to investigate the questions of “what will the side effects be” “how exposed is the banking system as a whole to contagion” etc. SVB and FRC are not systemically important banks and a bank run at one, or even a handful of banks is not a systemic problem. It’s frankly healthy, provided those banks can be unwound and their depositors made reasonably whole. Shuttering banks that gently caress up risk management is a good reminder that risk management is an important job of bankers.

If you watched the post-FOMC presser today - it’s not riveting, but it was only ~45 minutes - this was the first question Powell addressed. I think there’s plenty to criticize the Fed and Treasury on over the past couple months, and especially the last two weeks, but hanging lovely bankers out to dry ain’t it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The impact of inflation has, generally, been much worse for the average person than the impact of a couple of banks having problems.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lockback posted:

The impact of inflation has, generally, been much worse for the average person than the impact of a couple of banks having problems.

That's because everyone scrambles like mad to keep those bank problems from turning into problems for the average person.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I guess my problem with what the Fed is doing is that they have one tool in their tool box (legally) and it's not the tool that's needed. Inflation is fundamentally about too much money chasing too few goods, and people often assume it's the "too much money" part that's the problem. That's the image burned in everyone's mind about Zimbabwean 100 Trillion Dollar bills or 1930s Germany or whatever. But there's a whole second half of that sentence, and the American economy is clearly suffering from a too few goods problem. COVID completely hosed up so much stuff in the economy. Supply chains and ports, were widely reported, but also more subtle stuff. Things like 500k-800k workers being missing because they're dead. Two years of economic demand being suppressed and then all wanting to catch-up at once. Industries that built their whole business plan around easy access to cheap immigrant labor running into the twin barrels of Trumpism and COVID. Everyone wanting to move to the countryside one year, then back to the cities the next. The complete inability of any American city to build affordable housing in any meaningful amounts.

Except the Fed can't do jack poo poo about any of that. They can't fix the ports, they can't fix immigration policy, they can't resurrect dead workers or force boomers back into the workforce. They can't make nimbys stfu and build multistory apartment buildings near transit hubs. They can't help the several taiwanese companies that make all the computer chips for every new car unfuck their supply chain and protect them from China. The people who can do anything about that are more interested in holding hearings about imaginary conspiracies of trans people that want to steal their children and make the Twitter mods be mean to them.

JPow has one tool, making money cheaper or more expensive. He's a man who only has a hammer and by god he's going to swing that hammer at the face of American workers until enough of them don't have jobs and they'll stop wanting to buy things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I tend to agree with the old adage if you only have a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail, and that's a fair criticism of the fed. But also the fed doesn't have to be the only agency fighting inflation caused by supply side restriction, there's the whole rest of the government too. And if the rest of the government can't act, the fed's actual responsibility is to force the economy into a recession rather than let it run away into hyperinflation and have the actual US, and therefore global, economy, actually Fail with a capital F as in money no longer has value and every sovereign nation is bankrupt.

I like to think about shortages during the major world wars. Governments met severe shortages of essential goods with radical action: rationing. After major natural disasters, there are laws that are supposed to stop price gouging. When entire industries essential to the US economy are failing, the government bails them out: see the auto industry, the airline industry, the banking industry, multiple times.

The government has tools, if it cares to use them, we don't have to rely on the fed to fix everything. And in the last three years, it has been happy to bail out businesses with massive cash giveaways and loans, and it's even helped individuals by suspending evictions, mailing checks, extending unemployment, poo poo like that. I don't think I "blame" the fed for doing what it's designed to do while the conditions it's supposed to react to continue to prevail.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don’t think it’s as meaningful as you suggest whether the problem is “too much money” or “too few goods.” Those aren’t really different problems, they’re just different causes of the same problem, which we could describe as the money/goods ratio being off (or really, changing faster than we’d like.) That’s the nail, that’s exactly what the Fed is supposed to be taking care of with their hammer. The corollary to this is that even if the problem is that the money supply expanded while the goods supply stayed the same, the hammer still gets swung, and still lands in pretty much the same face. The Volcker disinflation is kind of the exemplar of what the modern tools of monetary policy are meant to do, and it still caused a bunch of unemployment.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I tend to agree with the old adage if you only have a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail, and that's a fair criticism of the fed. But also the fed doesn't have to be the only agency fighting inflation caused by supply side restriction, there's the whole rest of the government too. And if the rest of the government can't act, the fed's actual responsibility is to force the economy into a recession rather than let it run away into hyperinflation and have the actual US, and therefore global, economy, actually Fail with a capital F as in money no longer has value and every sovereign nation is bankrupt.

I like to think about shortages during the major world wars. Governments met severe shortages of essential goods with radical action: rationing. After major natural disasters, there are laws that are supposed to stop price gouging. When entire industries essential to the US economy are failing, the government bails them out: see the auto industry, the airline industry, the banking industry, multiple times.

The government has tools, if it cares to use them, we don't have to rely on the fed to fix everything. And in the last three years, it has been happy to bail out businesses with massive cash giveaways and loans, and it's even helped individuals by suspending evictions, mailing checks, extending unemployment, poo poo like that. I don't think I "blame" the fed for doing what it's designed to do while the conditions it's supposed to react to continue to prevail.

This is why I hope we don't see people hamstring the fed on dumb reasoning. I have seen some such posture (warren) it seemed.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
any congressperson with the juice to affect the fed has way more direct ways to get the policy they want implemented

like passing a law

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

mrmcd posted:

I guess my problem with what the Fed is doing is that they have one tool in their tool box (legally) and it's not the tool that's needed. Inflation is fundamentally about too much money chasing too few goods, and people often assume it's the "too much money" part that's the problem. That's the image burned in everyone's mind about Zimbabwean 100 Trillion Dollar bills or 1930s Germany or whatever. But there's a whole second half of that sentence, and the American economy is clearly suffering from a too few goods problem. COVID completely hosed up so much stuff in the economy. Supply chains and ports, were widely reported, but also more subtle stuff. Things like 500k-800k workers being missing because they're dead. Two years of economic demand being suppressed and then all wanting to catch-up at once. Industries that built their whole business plan around easy access to cheap immigrant labor running into the twin barrels of Trumpism and COVID. Everyone wanting to move to the countryside one year, then back to the cities the next. The complete inability of any American city to build affordable housing in any meaningful amounts.

Except the Fed can't do jack poo poo about any of that. They can't fix the ports, they can't fix immigration policy, they can't resurrect dead workers or force boomers back into the workforce. They can't make nimbys stfu and build multistory apartment buildings near transit hubs. They can't help the several taiwanese companies that make all the computer chips for every new car unfuck their supply chain and protect them from China. The people who can do anything about that are more interested in holding hearings about imaginary conspiracies of trans people that want to steal their children and make the Twitter mods be mean to them.

JPow has one tool, making money cheaper or more expensive. He's a man who only has a hammer and by god he's going to swing that hammer at the face of American workers until enough of them don't have jobs and they'll stop wanting to buy things.

An example of too few goods, Royal Bank of Canada pointing out in a report that Canada's rental housing shortage will quadruple to 120,000 units by 2026 without a significant boost in stock.

quote:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-needs-300-000-new-rental-units-to-avoid-gap-quadrupling-by-2026-report-1.1898927

In order to reach the optimal vacancy rate of three per cent, the report suggested Canada would need to add 332,000 rental units over the next three years, which would mark an annual increase of 20 per cent compared with the 70,000 units built last year.

The research analyzed vacancy rate data released in January by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).

Canada's vacancy rate fell to 1.9 per cent in 2022, its lowest point in 21 years, from 3.4 per cent in 2020 and 2021.

Competition for units also drove the highest annual increase in rent growth on record, by 5.6 per cent for a two-bedroom unit.

Canada’s rental housing stock grew by 2.4 per cent in 2022, led by Calgary at 7.4 per cent and Ottawa-Gatineau at 5.5 per cent, while Toronto and Montreal saw the smallest percentage increases at 2.1 per cent and 1.4 per cent, respectively.

"We haven't seen that many additions to the purpose-built inventory in almost a decade, so you would think that added supply of units would ease some of the competition, but what the CMHC rental market data revealed to us was that it didn't," said RBC economist Rachel Battaglia.

Slow growth in Canada's two most populous cities has been outpaced by rapidly increasing demand, partly fuelled by high immigration levels, she said. Annual federal immigration targets are set to grow eight per cent by 2025, meaning demand is unlikely to let up.

Low vacancy has yielded enormously inflationary sky high rent spikes. Not to mention the price of housing and price of mortgage payments.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

mrmcd posted:

Things like 500k-800k workers being missing because they're dead.

Those dead COVID workers were fat, old and disabled. They were not productive workers.

And losing "500-800k" workers certainly didn't affect the historically low unemployment rate.

Reread your post and eat more brain pills, they are good for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bio-Hazard posted:

Those dead COVID workers were fat, old and disabled. They were not productive workers.

And losing "500-800k" workers certainly didn't affect the historically low unemployment rate.

Reread your post and eat more brain pills, they are good for you

I’m not going to address the first claim because it sucks but there’s an obvious, glaring logical inconsistency in the second

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Regardless, in addition to covid deaths there's a far larger number of people who have or had long-term health effects from lingering covid that didn't die and many of them have had to leave the workforce. This does not get much press.

And when you remove people from the workforce, unemployment goes down. Fewer workers for the same number of jobs does that. That's how that works.

e. people on long-term disability aren't counted as "unemployed" fyi

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leperflesh posted:

Regardless, in addition to covid deaths there's a far larger number of people who have or had long-term health effects from lingering covid that didn't die and many of them have had to leave the workforce. This does not get much press.

And when you remove people from the workforce, unemployment goes down. Fewer workers for the same number of jobs does that. That's how that works.

e. people on long-term disability aren't counted as "unemployed" fyi

True, but they are counted against the labor force participation rate, and that number has been rising steadily and is only about 0.8% lower than it was pre-pandemic.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART

It has been a bit low compared to the post-1970s trend, but that has been the case since the mid-2010s as the boomers retire.

EDIT: Another interesting chart is the US Working Age Population, which did take a dip during the pandemic but has now fully recovered and it at a historical high.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LFWA64TTUSM647S

I think the "too few workers" thesis doesn't really hold up to the data. I do think that there are still some kinks being worked out due to workers relocating, shifts in demand, and more experienced workers being replaced by less experienced ones who are still settling into their roles. But that alone isn't enough to cover the entire inflation story. There was a lot of really stupid money out there in the days of effectively-0% interest, and while increasing interest rates have shrank the dumb money pool, the fact that things like crypto haven't completely collapsed means that there's still too much of it out there.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
2010 was like the peak of the decline in lfpr though, and it’s tough to argue that was driven by boomer retirement when the median boomer was like <60