Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

pmchem posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-19/the-best-workplaces-for-pet-owners-offer-pet-insurance-and-pawternity-leave

"The Best Pet Workplaces Offer Bereavement and Pawternity Leave
A 12-hour conference was held in Los Angeles on Thursday that gathered the nation’s top thought leaders in the emerging field of employee pet benefits."

fed's gotta hike

You aren’t getting a raise that even keeps up with inflation this year, but you can bring your dog in to poo poo everywhere on Fridays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Baddog posted:

4 years ago I did a couple trips from colorado to ohio, and the tesla "enhanced" autopilot did pretty drat well. There was one state where they had the lines painted to take the offramp on every exit, which obviously broke it - unless I just put it over in the left lane. Otherwise it was nearly perfect, for what, several thousand miles if you count there and back again, twice. I definitely thought autonomous trucking was right around the corner, at least for the long haul stuff. All they have to do is drive from distribution center A to DC B, all on interstates.

This new "Full" self driving beta sucks. The whole thing has somehow gone backwards. I dunno what the gently caress. Part of it is definitely taking out the radar and trying to just use cameras. But I think in trying to solve the edge cases, they've really hosed up the base case.

This kind of anecdotal experience with “self driving” is irrelevant to the future of interstate trucking. Lane tracking is the easy part. All the crazy things you see in city driving happen on the interstates: giant obstructions, pedestrians, animals, and you name it. For your one trip of a few thousand miles none of that mattered because those events are rare on the interstates, but as soon as you have ten thousand trucks driving 30k miles a year, they become regular occurrences. In order to solve the interstate trucking self driving problem, you have to solve the city driving problem because that is where the weird edge cases happen often enough to be studied.

The other option is to create fixed routes for trucks that are protected from these kinds of disturbances, group them, and lightly staff them to take care of the super rare edge cases, but that is just a train.