Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'd be curious about the extent to which Belgium's postal banking system might play a role. What percentage of the population is unbanked compared to the US at ~4.5%? The unbanked probably wouldn't be contributing a particularly sizeable chunk as they skew toward the impoverished, but just having accessible banking options in early Iife probably contributes to a higher per capita savings rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pseudanonymous posted:

Freakonomics recently did an episode about how housing the industry has not increased productivity in tandem with other industries, and interviewed various people about why.

There’s also the issue of people not wanting to live in rural areas so actual land costs have probably increased steadily over time. Major cities are increasingly dense but infrastructure investment fell off decades ago.

The government could help intervene by incentivizing work from home, but here we are.
Or by breaking the many hurdles cities across the country present to any meaningful densification. Some cities are allowing development in isolated areas, but reactionary forces are still mostly winning in blocking any prospect of a broader, bottom-up densification in favor of constricting supply to keep prices sky-high.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
"Historic districts" are exempt, so, whoops!, it looks like our entire rich neighborhood of relatively new build mansions is historic.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Small business, big business, gently caress em all, give me an egalitarian, growth-oriented state ruled by accountable technocrats with complete command and control of the economy.
:regd08:

But, in all seriousness, as much as I can get behind the criticisms of our corporate overlords, folks have far too rosy a picture of what they've (partially) replaced. Not all that different from the long-standing critiques of industrialization putting skilled artisans out of work—guilds restricting supply to maintain their profits and a broader spurning of investment in development helped ensure the past was a terrible time to be alive.

There's no moment worse than the one we're living in, except for all those that came before it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

but that is just a train.
Just?! :mad:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people keep going on about how 'Everyone's going so well but they just have bad vibes about the economy!' but I'm pretty sure you can square that circle with how even people who have relative financial stability now are well aware they are one bad day away from losing it permanently. One medical bill, their landlord deciding to sell, car accident or natural disaster and their savings and security are gone.
Such seems like exactly what would drag down self-reporting of being personally in a good spot, but, as has been repeated up-thread, sentiment reports don't reflect this. If I were in the situation you describe, I'd say I'm personally in a bad spot, not that I'm doing just fine but think the economy is garbage.

It's entirely fine and doable to be upset about and fight against inequities which result in economic precarity without also forcing an awkward and ill-fitted reinterpretation of the data to raise urgency.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

It's like how folks were probably talking about Japan in the late 70s early 80s.

Whipping from "cheap japanese junk" to "welp they eclipsed us!" in an instant.

Mmm, yes, Japan, a country whose economy is well known to have eclipsed that of the United States since the 1980s. Last time I checked in circa 1990, their trajectory was indeed indomitable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

All cars are a lot heavier in large part because they are safer.*

* against similarly oversized vehicles, exclusively for those in the car; for everyone else or for smaller vehicles, they're significantly more dangerous