Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing about rural locations where there is a single choice of grocer is that most people don't live in them, hence corporate megachain profits aren't generated there, because they aren't enough % of revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I think the general outcome of the latest crisis is we do not understand macroeconomics nearly well enough to make scientific statements of cause and effect, even with the most basic principles. And that monetary policy cannot control nearly as much as economists think it can, without fiscal policy backing it.

Raising interest rates hasn't destroyed nearly as much demand as expected because the links between bank central rates and immediate growth are much lower than 1980s.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hadlock posted:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/openai-annualized-revenue-tops-16-billion-information-2023-12-30/

Reuters reporting OpenAI, inventors of "ChatGPT" cleared $1.6 billion USD in revenue in 2023

Tangentially, I installed "chatgpt4all" on my laptop with the "orca2" open source LLM from Microsoft and for simple tasks it's 85-92% as good as ChatGPT

That said, I think AI is not a flash in the pan, seems like people find enough value in the product they're willing to pay for it.

I was really surprised at how many people really struggle with writing emails, over half the people I talked to say they use it for writing emails

I think LLM's have some economic value, it's just nowhere near the hype it generates. And while they are expensive to train, once one is trained you can bootstrap another off it fairly easily so there's no competitive advantage in the space. So it's not going to lead to uneven windfall profits like Google or Facebook do. They are only expensive to run in comparison to searchs and with a baseline price of "free" - when it comes to enterprise pricing they'll fit fairly well into annual sofrware licensing budgets for specific models which don't leak corporate data back to the cloud, which is one of the major problems with current corporate implementations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SVB fails in about 24 hours because social media panic + instant online banking means that companies with deposits there could pull them all out faster than the system expects or regulates for. I assume this is the ECB hoping to spot something similar as it happens.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The "Markets" have been convincing themselves for the past 2ish months than interest rates will drop to 4% or lower by the end of the year and everything will return to "normal". Quite a few people pointed out this was unrealistically optimistic, and now reality is catching up with the Markets.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Can you cite a single link to support this

Most everything I've been reading has been taking about 5% being the landing point, in 2025-6

Here's one

Morningstar predicting 6 rate cuts in 2024

There's others if you look, mostly from articles timed around the appearance of this exuberance in December.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree with this. Maybe we have more sector-specific bubbles just due to the proliferation of sectors, but overall I don't think that the idea that bubbles are becoming more frequent or severe seems to be borne out by actual data.

On bubbles, there's some evidence that the rise of passive stock investing has increased the duration/durability of bubbles. When every holder of a stock is a active investor, then buying in out of greed, or selling out of panic, can happen to a greater % of shareholders at any one time. When 30% of a stock is held by passive investors who aren't making active pricing decisions, then a rout requires a higher % of the active investors to panic and sell to trigger a rout.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Inflation rates never match individual consumers, because no individual consumes the exact proportions of the consumption spread. This is fine for their intended use as a tool for central bankers, but means that the "experienced" Inflation rate of someone paying 40% of their income on rent which is raised yearly is often vastly different to a homeowner with a fixed mortgage repayment, even if they "average out" over the entire economy. That's mostly people's bugbear with them, that the number doesn't matched their observed reality, especially when the Inflation number is then used to justify things like pay rises or welfare increases.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

pmchem posted:

the measurement of shelter CPI accounts for exactly what you said. it doesn't just go around to homeowners asking what their mortgage payment is. it has two primary components: rent and "owner's equivalent rent" (OER):
https://www.bls.gov/cpi/factsheets/owners-equivalent-rent-and-rent.htm

thus, while certainly the person who has a low fixed rate mortgage will have less of a challenge in dealing with inflation, the reported CPI measurements that may be "then used to justify things like pay rises or welfare increases" are designed to account for ever-increasing shelter costs.

Yea, but my point is that the "experienced" inflation for both the homeowner and the renter will be different to the reported CPI, even though the reported CPI is "true" (as in, the correct answer to the exact question being asked). Not that owners equivalent rent isn't included. Although is it really based on self-reported survey values? that seems ripe for misreporting, mostly by homeowners not understanding local rental market movements. I thought it was computed centrally based on estimations of it from listings.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

IIRC, it's usually about how to count someone as "actively looking for work" vs "not looking for work" (and therefore not unemployed, as they don't want a job). If you say that people out of work who say they aren't well enough to work, or rather live in their parents basement and sponge off them rather than try and get a job, are actually unemployed. Then you get a higher number of unemployed. How much this actually matters is an exercise to the reader, and usually based on your own views about how much they could be working if [insert political failing here]

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Baddog posted:

hah!

True, true, and funny. But isn't "needing to have some poo poo to brag about" unfortunately the crux of everything humans do?

Feels like M&A has picked up considerably in the last few months. Private equity snatching companies up in particular.

There's been some articles in the Financial Times about.

A. Private equity funds are sitting on something like combined $2 trillion dollars of buying power globally that they raised for cheap during the pandemic, but they can't find anything to buy for the returns they want.

B. Private equity firms are also having problems getting new money invested because lots of them are unable to find anywhere to sell the companies they have bought and asset striped at the price they need to make a profit and return profits to investors. Only the funds with a good record of consistently paying out profits are getting new funding in.

Which means we're in this absurd state where there's a bunch of money sitting around awaiting causes to invest in, but suddenly unable to find investments paying more than the fed treasury rate. It feels like a bubble that has to pop, or at least deflate, unless rates go back down to 1% or so.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If there is no economic value to your business than the personal relationship the buyer has with the sales team, then the sales team should capture all the profit by leaving and starting their own firm. Free market in action.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you are wondering about why the prc tries to suppress wages, taiwan revolted and stopped being a dictatorship at $5300 income per capita in 1987, about $14000 in todays dollars. korea revolted and stopped being a dictatorship around 1992, fully, around $8200 per capita then, or around 17000 in todays dollars (process started in 1987 for real). the prc is at $14000 ish right now...

I would hesitate to link PRC low domestic consumption to any political goals of the PRC, before we go too D&D about this. One element is that the PRC lacks a social safety net (even by American standards), and as such even well-off high-paid workers (like the ~150 Million Chinese people with roughly western incomes) put a much higher % of their income into savings rather than consumption, to provide their own safety net. This was further proven by the COVID epidemic, which China did not compensate workers for at all unlike the EU or US, and eroded plenty of Chinese people's savings and showed them exactly why they must save in boom times.

But the core argument is true, which is China is seeking to continue to use manufacturing to drive economic growth, but don't have the domestic demand to support their current manufacturing sector, let alone a growing one. So export the goods instead! Until other countries close off in retailiation.

https://www.ft.com/content/4075ac49-f3b6-42a0-88c4-168292048feb

https://archive.ph/pyPtS#selection-2363.42-2363.231

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 14, 2024

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Baddog posted:

mmmm, going house hunting over there was an experience, not doing that again soon. And the leasehold-type arrangement doesn't inspire confidence, even though everyone seems 100% that it will just be renewed. You don't actually own any share of the land, just a small concrete box in the sky.

I'm not saying their *real estate* market isn't in trouble. I just don't see that temporarily overbuilding there is going to precipitate a total economic collapse, the one that at least business journalists have been predicting and salivating over forever. And putting aside the "how can they keep this up??" conundrum, it's undeniable that they've taken the lead in all sorts of areas, and not just walking up the manufacturing ladder to automobiles now. I believe the export ban on chips is ineffective and in any case too late.

Anyways, if their government buys up a bunch of houses to prop up the price, you can bet they will condemn and raze the oldest areas (more of the oldest areas), and everyone will shift around and up. Criticism of chinese government policies just always seems a bit xenophobic to me, because people have this blind spot when western governments do plenty of the same thing. Cash for clunkers for example? Or the big example - our defense industry workfare programs, where the end goods aren't even productive. I guess arguably we enforce our trade wars with them, but mostly it seems like we just leave big huge piles of the product in places like iraq and afghanistan.

Part of the issue is just China Big. It's 1500 million people, compared to the USs 350 million people. You can have 150 Million Chinese people taking part in a first-world economy leading the way in a bunch of fields (which is roughly what is happening) and still have a pretty bad overall economy because of the drag of the other 9/10ths of the country not being as productive or having jobs building pointless buildings which then fail. China is trying to expand the amount of people employed doing "productive" labour like building EVs, and limiting growth of "unproductive" labour like online tutoring cram schools or gacha games getting kids addicted to gambling or building unproductive houses. Problem is as already established the chinese household doesn't consume enough for this, so exports it is.

I would say that agricultural subsidies can absolutely lead to overseas dumping in the same way that EV subsidies are doing now, it's something African countries have been annoyed about for awhile - cheaper to import US grain than buy local, hence limits investment in local agriculture and building of local capital stocks. The difference is that they mostly suck it up anyways, because they have no influence and also the alternative is more expensive food, which looses you popular support pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they dont want to inflate to pay anything off. tiananmen was like 15% about freedom and liberty and poo poo and 85% about the 30%, 60%, 100% inflation. thats why shutting it down by promising then delivering on not highly inflationary economic growth worked so well, after rolling over the freedom peeps w tanks

China is currently on the edge of inflation, a bit more inflation would not be a bad thing