Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

A big problem is that the central bank is paying attention to failures of some large banks, because of the systemic risks of more big bank runs they represent if these large uninsured depositors are not bailed out; but they have not been bailing out the small banks that fail nor their large >$250k depositors, over the last couple of decades. If they do this more, they are basically telling all depositors "never bank at small banks" and that will destroy small banks. They need to either just admit that we're guaranteeing large depositors now, across the board, at all banks... or not. Piecemeal poo poo that is just paying attention to the immediate problem this month is bad policymaking.

More broadly, I am still seeing unqualified statements like in the above quoted article like "...and First Republic’s assets are mostly loans. Those loans tend to be pretty safe — they are mostly mortgages to rich people — but they are very exposed to interest-rate risk, so they have lost a lot of value. And it can’t use them to borrow from the BTFP."

Who could have anticipated that taking on massive amounts of very low interest rate mortgage debt could lead to a problem if mortgage rates rose? Whoever could have anticipated that there was interest rate risk? Surely not... bankers?

There is massive negligence here, and it's a failure to hedge against interest rate risk. The FED should not be bailing out the people who made this critically bad decision. So the correct answer, regardless of whether you do something to rescue uninsured depositors, is to let the directors of these banks and the shareholders that invested in them and empowered them, to go pound sand, financially. The SVB example is illustrative. First Republic should be taken over by the FDIC if it's insolvent. If we need to decide to raise the cap on insured deposits, fine, do it for everyone, but in no world should the bank managers who chose to take on large portfolios of unhedged low interest loans and did nothing about their exposure to interest rate risk get to keep their jobs, and if we want markets to function properly, investors are supposed to see the consequences of their risks as the counterbalance to the lucrative rewards they receive for taking on risks.

but the fed doesn't want banks to fully hedge interest rate risk, as shown by their coolness towards narrow bank applications. it's easy to say that the small banks are being negligent on interest rate risk, but at the end of the day any hedge is going to be a question of degree unless you want banks to stop holding any significant amount of long term loans on their books. svb definitely was a spectacular failure to manage risk, but if anything it was on the risks associated with almost exclusively catering to savvy depositors. i think part of the vague indecisiveness of the fed is due to them not wanting to create a moral hazard by backstopping all banking activity, while not wanting to publicly acknowledge that there are some inherent risks in tha banking system, as sound as it is. the interest rate risk will always be there as long as we keep our current system where banks borrow short to lend long. completely eliminating that risk seems like it would need a system in which short term deposits and long term debt are kept completely separate. i don't have the background in macroeconomics to guess at what the positive and negative ramifications of that kind of change would be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

hypnophant posted:

even a fairly aggressive narrow banking proposal isn’t going to let you put a quarter million+ into a payment account, so it won’t protect anyone who isn’t already going to be made whole by the FDIC

sure, they wouldn't have any special fdic protection, but if an institution is taking short term deposits and parking them in the fed's overnight then they've effectively eliminated interest rate risk (as long as you only categorize risk as the downside only). if the fed raises rates it has almost no impact on their assets

at least historically the fed wasn't eager for such a bank to exist, although post 2008 this is effectively what many money market funds are

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pacwest says about 73% of their deposits are under the fdic limit (svb was 6.2% for comparison). if they really do go down that seems like a pretty big warning sign that this panic is just starting to bring down large regional banks all together

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my mother has complaints about the unreasonable cost and limited availability of daycare when i was a kid decades ago, so it seems like a super entrenched problem

drk posted:

The big table o' inflation is below. Eveyone's got a hot take on inflation numbers, but it appears to me that the primary driver of services inflation is increases in shelter costs (rent and owner equivalent rent). Transportation services has a higher %age increase, but a much lower weight.

i remember hearing shelter costs in cpi are a lagging indicator because of how it's calculated, but i have no idea why exactly or how much that lag is. would be very on-brand for the fed to hold tight way too long due to lagging indicators and shooting way below inflation targets and over unemployment targets though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Baddog posted:

I had to check, S&P has maintained that downgrade, I thought they might have popped it back up at some point in the last 12 years.

The fact that the "jewish space lasers" lady appears to be 2nd in command in the house of representatives makes things seem not nearly as guaranteed as they used to be. I'm wavering a bit here. 2011 went down to the day before treasury said that they would be out of money. This time it might actually go to the day of. Or they might even try to see if yellen is bluffing and can pull some more money out of her rear end.

Btw, I don't think she has been definitive enough on the date. When she says "early june, maybe as early as June 1", I think some of these dumbasses interpret that as "we have until June 10 or 15 or so before something bad actually happens". I don't remember the treasury statements on the debt being as waffly in the past.

yeah i've seen a fair number of republican house members publicly stating that they don't trust yellen's x-date and think there's either more time or more extreme extraordinary measures like preferential coupon payments that can be done. probably biden gives before this is an issue, but i worry that familiarity breeds carelessness. one of these days we're going to accidently dance off this cliff even though almost no one actually wants to

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

The primary goal was and still is and always will be, throwing around weight to show who is boss, so they can later make big claims about how strong and powerfully they owned the enemy.

I'm just glad that we seem to be nearly past the point where people will keep asking what happens when the US "defaults" on its debts. Until the impending federal budget fights, which are going to be a revisiting of the same poo poo, just with "we fail to pass a budget" as the threat.

my understanding of the debt ceiling compromise (which mccarthy seems to be having some difficulty whipping for) locks in the budget for the next two fiscal years, so we won't have to hear about budget fights until after the election

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

LanceHunter posted:

In more global economics news, it seems like China's real estate crisis is getting worse...

An interesting side-note is that the NY Times now has its own sub-section on "China's Stalling Economy", under which this story was published.

i guess the question is how well other property developers have managed to unwind their leverage since beijing first tried to take away the punch bowl. though at the end of the day i have to figure that the government will bail everyone out if it looks like there's too much contagion for the market to handle

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
eh, i'm in agreement with the strong market consensus that they hold steady next month. the inverse yield curve is reverting, recession predictions from pundits have gone from 100% certainty in 2023, to a possibility in second of half in 2024, while pce is way down from the height of the crisis with no signs yet that we're bouncing off of a bottom

for the moment it appears that the fed pulled off a monetary policy miracle that would make greenspan eat his hat by nipping an inflationary spiral in the bud without triggering a recession. i have to figure the fed will want to be very cautious about overshooting at this point. maybe if inflation numbers start coming in well over expectations

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm not sure i follow. the dollar is still well stronger than the baseline over the last 20 years, in part due to fed coming down harder than other central banks (especially boj, though their circumstances are unique), so theoretically us exports are less competitive. chips act and ira definitely seem to be contributing to strong non-inflationary growth in us (at least for now), and china is in the midst of it's slow and opaque real estate crisis, and i guess germany is having secular supply shocks due to reliance on russian energy, but i'm not sure what the currency dealio is

edit:

Baddog posted:

Fedwatch has 20% hike in Dec, 26% by Jan.

I'm with you though, I feel like the chance is significantly higher. We seem a bit stuck here. But I'm not feeling strongly enough to do much about it. Probably will keep nibbling on fixed income, because if we aren't at the top we are very likely close to it.

now that the immediate concern of almost double-digit inflation is over, the majority of the fed might be remembering all those policy papers they wrote in the mid and late 2010's about flexible rate targets, and weighing benefits of full employment versus hitting 2% as soon as possible. that was the line through covid until "transitory" proved not to be quite so transitory. the last 18 months has probably taken some of the shine off this line of thought, but it's hard completely reversing course policy you've been working to implement for the last decade

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 1, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i remember a decade ago when austerity hawks were pushing 90% debt to gdp as the tipping point when servicing a nation's debt would wipe out a national economy. european leaders took it seriously and for the last 15 year the eu has trailed the us in growth. turned out there were errors in their spreadsheet, so their already nebulous number that contributed to unemployment and economic anxiety of millions was just plain wrong.

now this wharton paper is floating 200% as the tipping point. this particular section is suspect to me

quote:

Some of the increase in debt is well understood and driven by policy changes, including in response to 2007 – 2010 Great Recession, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, and more recent Covid-19 stimulus. Some of the projected debt increase was due to underestimates in entitlement program spending arising from faster-than-expected growth in the population of retirees and their Social Security and Medicare benefits. A decomposition of the exact causes goes beyond this brief. What Figure 1 clearly documents, however, is the secular rise in the debt-GDP ratio relative to past projections rather than an up-and-down relationship consistent with counter-cyclical policy.

so looking at projections made over a 16-year period, which as noted included the worst economic crisis in a century and the worst pandemic in a century, there is no detailed analysis of what is actually driving an increase in debt to gdp ratios and the assumption is made that it is a secular trend. this is not exactly compelling when the human costs to trying to cut our way out of debt is so high

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a current event from last week that somehow managed to fly under my radar, china's largest lender was a victim of a massive ransomware attack

quote:

China's biggest lender, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, paid a ransom after it was hacked last week, a Lockbit ransomware gang representative said on Monday in a statement which Reuters was unable to independently verify.

ICBC, whose U.S. arm was hit by a ransomware attack that disrupted trades in the U.S. Treasury market on Nov. 9, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"They paid a ransom, deal closed," the Lockbit representative told Reuters via Tox, an online messaging app.

The blackout at ICBC's U.S. broker-dealer left it temporarily owing BNY Mellon $9 billion, an amount many times larger than its net capital.

The hack was so extensive that even corporate email at the firm ceased to function, forcing employees to switch to Google mail, Reuters reported.

"The market is mostly back to normal now," said Zhiwei Ren, a portfolio manager at Penn Mutual Asset Management.

The ransomware attack came at a time of heightened worries about the resiliency of the $26 trillion Treasury market, essential to the plumbing of global finance, and is likely to draw scrutiny from regulators.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Treasury Department did not immediately provide comment on Monday.

The Financial Services Information Sharing and Analysis Center, a financial industry cybersecurity group, said financial firms have well-established protocols for sharing information on such incidents.

"We are reminding members to stay current on all protective measures and patch critical vulnerabilities immediately," a spokesperson said in a statement, adding: "Ransomware remains one of the top threat vectors facing the financial sector."

some are speculating that part of the soft demand for last week's treasury offering was due to a major market maker being almost completely paralyzed. reportedly ibc was keeping vital trades moving via couriers moving around physical drives between counter parties

between this and the recent ach snafu it is a reminder that the infrastructure underlying our markets is not foolproof

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lending credence to that theory, the japanese government is reporting some real bad gdp numbers for the quarter that stand in stark contrast to american performance

gdp fell 2.1% in the third quarter after falling 0.5% in the second, with us clocking gains of 4.9% and 2.1% respectively. notably this is much worse than analysts expectations of 0.6%

to top it off, the bank of japan has been one of the lone central banks keeping rates low in an effort to stimulate the economy. japan's inflation is also dealing with roughly 3% inflation, which is low compared to the spikes in other developed economies, but significantly higher than the average rate in japan for the last 30 years

whether by luck, policy, or some unknown market factor, the last few years of us economic performance seems charmed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's an experiment in the vein of santayana. argentina already pegged the peso to the dollar back in the early 90's, it worked for about a decade until it became clear that argentina couldn't service their debts in a currency they had no control over and they went bankrupt

the other currency crises of the 90's (mexico in particular) demonstrate the dangers of pegging to the dollar when the underlying value of a currency is particularly weak. it encourages capital to move to the dollar while the pegged currency is overvalued, which forces the central bank to buy up the local currency with dollars to maintain the peg, which causes a debt spiral

considering that the guy is a self billed anarcho-capitalist who doesn't like the idea of central banks, i have no confidence that he has the basic knowledge to avoid the mistakes that happened within his own life time

edit: argentina is a case study i've been meaning to read more about. during the mid-20th century it was a robust economy that often came close to top 10 largest gdp's in the world. then in the 80's, without being directly occupied by a foreign power, it's economy started having crises after crises and has had a much more volatile time, falling behind a dozen other emerging economies

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 20, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there's always been this implicit assumption that the feds mandate for full employment and stable prices are at odds with each other, but if inflation continues to track towards 2% with a fairly tight labor market there's gonna have to be a lot of academic ink spilled trying to figure out exactly what the gently caress happened over the last two years

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Overseas demand destruction.

this makes some sense, especially the decrease in global demand for commodities which has driven total cpi below core cpi, but i guess i would find it mildly surprising that overseas demand could fall enough to bring inflation steadily down while seeing barely any slackening in the domestic labor market.

Senor P. posted:

Isn't it obvious?

Baby Boomers are finally exiting the work force.
and because the birth rate has dropped and immigration is frowned upon in the US, there is literally not enough person(s) to be able to take up the work.

Still a lot of consumer demand from the boomers, and commercial and industrial demand.
But not enough labor to make up the gap.

Like taking a big turd to the toliet.
SPLOOSH. Now the market wants to eat something and can't find enough food.

that explains the historically tight labor market, but in a classical macroeconomics 101 lesson this would be a textbook case of an inflationary environment

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hadlock posted:

Sorry am I posting in the wrong reality again? God damnit

Is this the reality where Hillary was president and covid was just SARS3 and contained to the island nation of Hong Kong (again)

In my home reality we had 10% inflation over three years, more like 30% inflation for housing and food, after a decade of sub 2% inflation

i realize being obtuse is like your gimmick or something, but i'm not even sure what this means in response to what i posted. my original post is about how inflation has cooled significantly from the spike you reference, while simultaneously labor has stayed tight. my response to senor p was to highlight the lack of explanation for the mismatch from basic theory, not to suggest that inflation didn't actually happen or whatever vague point you're driving at here

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Add the supply chain crisis and the reaction of a new trend of supply chains starting to move to be more regional and in country rather than global.

Add the pandemics effects on the labor pool, regarding child care, elder care, retirement, death.

Add the effects of the IRA and CHIPs acts.

my naive theory is that the ira/chips act and at least some of the lingering effect of covid stimulus is driving non-inflationary growth. but that's probably only because it matches my priors

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hadlock posted:

Inflation is the outcome of basic market forces. At the start of covid we pumped a ton of money both directly into the economy via literal covid stimulus checks, covid payroll loans (many/most of which were immediately forgiven). Plus borrowing money was free. M2 money supply

If you have more money (demand) than supply then prices will go up. We had more money + reduced supply due to covid, prices rose. Corporate profits in 2022 were some of the highest ever.

Then they stopped QE, supply caught up, and

Seems like a cooling of inflation to me

Yeah labor has been tight, eating out costs about double what it did in 2018. I don't think I've paid less than $17 for a cheeseburger all this year outside of the drive though. Used to pay $10. Even with those prices food service is a shell of it's former self, like half of all small restaurants failed during/after covid

Inflation went to the moon (for our generation at least) and after prices adjusted... Of course it would soften, demand weakened due to higher prices, and we stopped pumping extra money into the economy

yes, but if demand has weakened enough to bring down prices, why are companies still hiring? domestic consumer spending hasn't slackened this year, real wages are up, this is not what volcker shock looked like in the 1980's, and mainstream monetary theory was that some level of pain was necessary to cool rapidly spiking inflation. how can you have demand destruction when the economy is seeing quarters of annualized growth approaching 5%?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

we're going in circles

in the name of continuing the conversation i'll throw out a few random (mostly contradictory) guesses that have been raddling around my brain, though of course i have no way of knowing:

-the inflation spike was almost entirely supply side, it really was transitory. once the covid delays were sorted out and the energy shock from russia's invasion of ukraine faded, it didn't matter that demand never fell, because that wasn't the real driver (doesn't fully explain significant inflation in services which at times exceeded good)
-companies had a period where they felt comfortable pumping up their margins, but shifts in market realities have made them hesitant to continue that trend
-both supply and demand play a secondary role to expectations and the fed did a great job managing expectations to the point of an almost mass hypnosis

Hadlock posted:

Mortgage rates going to 8% was in no way a volcker shock. Painful yes but they boiled the frog so slowly it gave companies a chance to shed costs early

companies didn't shed costs though, outside of tech they didn't shed employees at all. this is the weird thing about inflation coming down. the pace of capital expenditures slowed, but stayed positive. the lesson of the 1980's was that you probably needed to have some kind of recession to halt rampant inflation, and that didn't happen this time around

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've been a bit suprised that there hasn't been more visible supply chain fallout as a result of the crisis in the red sea, and apparently it's probably because there was a significant amount of slack in global shipping capacity to cushion the initial blow. still the industry outlook seems to be that if this drags on for an extended period of time big shipping price hikes are on the horizon

quote:

The Container Price Sentiment Index (xCPSI) serves as a valuable metric for assessing the prevailing market sentiments among supply chain professionals on the anticipated trajectory of container prices in the upcoming weeks. In the first quarter of 2023, the index values were in the range of -6 to -11, indicating a prevailing sentiment that the majority expected a decline in container prices during that period.

However, the landscape has witnessed a remarkable shift if compared on a year on year, month on month basis. As of January, the xCPSI values have surged to historic highs, ranging between 67-71. This substantial increase signifies a complete reversal in sentiment, with the majority of supply chain professionals now anticipating a notable upswing in container prices.
The scale values were fluctuating within the moderate range of 25-40 in the month of December, on a 100-point scale.

This significant escalation in market expectations regarding an imminent increase in container prices is a clear indicator of the industry’s perception of how the Red Sea crisis is poised to impact container pricing dynamics in the foreseeable future. The heightened values on the xCPSI underscore a shared anticipation among supply chain professionals that the unfolding events in the Red Sea will likely exert upward pressure on container prices in the coming weeks.

Industry’s Way Forward: Overcapacity, Ever Given Comparison, and Potential Challenges

“The freight rates are tripled since roughly a month ago, and the container prices are also expected to rise further in the short to midterm. The anticipated impact is significant.” Added Roeloffs.

“However, it’s crucial to remember that our supply chains currently hold a surplus capacity of over 6 million TEUs, accumulated over the last two years due to a demand deficit. This excess capacity acts as a vital cushion to absorb potential shockwaves in the supply chain.”

“The degree of impact hinges on the duration of the Red Sea crisis. Should it persist for an extended period, and the excess capacity continues to be absorbed, we could potentially face serious challenges. Drawing a comparison to the Ever Given situation, where disruption occurred during a period of extreme difficulty in securing capacity and historic peak demand, rates skyrocketed to 10 times pre-pandemic levels. While we aren’t currently at those historic highs, the recent rate surge is noticeable when viewed in the short term.”

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/red-sea-attacks-impact-market-sentiment-of-shippers-and-exporters-in-asia/

on top of ~80% of container shipping avoiding the suez, the drought in panama has caused a ~33% drop through that canal. this feels like pretty big constraints on global shipping, but it might just be because i wasn't paying the issue much mind prior to the pandemic. i'd be interested if bar ran dun had any thoughts on whether these kind of disruptions are actually par for the course

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

thanks, good food for thought as we see even more escalation in the mideast

drk posted:

China Evergrande ordered to liquidate, owing $300 bln: https://www.reuters.com/business/embattled-china-evergrande-back-court-liquidation-hearing-2024-01-28/

Sounds... not great, but everyone knew this one was going to blow up. Honestly, I thought it already had

well it did already "blow up" in the sense that it stopped paying some creditors. i have to hope everyone already had any loans mostly zeroed out, but i have to wonder how they'll handle the liquidation. hopefully things are handled delicately, having a bunch of properties pushed out into an already depressed market could be ugly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cyrano4747 posted:

To be honest I'm surprised it's being allowed to happen.

My money was on them quietly getting bailed out and becoming more or less a state run enterprise, with a gentle wind-down over the next decade or so.

i'm not a deep china understander or anything, but my assumption is still that the government will bail out domestic creditors and absorb any surplus supply. it'd be wild to allow an existential threat to such a widely held asset class. i guess letting the actual business fail does have the advantages of avoiding the framing of 2008 when america saved the investment bankers who got greedy

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
that seems like a wild approach, i have a hard time believing it. my sense is that on one hand chinese retail investors aren't as leveraged americans, but on the other hand real estate is like *the* investment vehicle. between obliterating a huge amount of wealth and gutting a primary employment engine you're asking for trouble. i can believe that the government can accept some pain to help deflate the bubble over the long term, but just letting this fly off into uncontrolled contagion territory has to be a no go

they can totally gently caress the foreign investors though, the sirens song of china's inevitable equity explosion always makes everyone forget all the times they've been burned

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
on the balance who can say if it was worth it, but one benefit of the postwar era was the stability to build out industry without worrying about an rc kit turning it all to slag. I think we've dealt with us hegemony long enough that it's been forgotten that multipolar conflicts tended to have a lot of dead peasants and burnt fields between the various capitals

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when i used to work full time in a minimum wage position it was a real pain to only know my schedule a week in advance. i can't imagine not knowing how much i would actually make that pay period

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the intense decadal boom and bust cycle that was the panics of the 19th century make everything after the great depression look like a stately cake walk. my feeling is that any sense that we're in a particularly bubbly era is purely recency bias

historically some stock market bubbles have played important roles in capitalizing new technology with large upfront costs, off the top of my head: inland shipping canals and railroads in the early to mid-19th century, radio, transistors, and telecoms in the 20th century. "ai" may or may not end up in a similar spot, maybe all of the compute capacity it's driving will eventually be useful even if mlm chat bots turns out to be a blind alley

it should be noted that even if some huge societal gains came out of these bubbles the investors still by and large ended up getting hosed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

naked filthy men scrabble in the shadows through the discarded detritus of collapsed civilization

that's just capitalism, it's also just been this

edit: i'd give me last nut for a high quality scan or the original

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nothingtoseehere posted:

On bubbles, there's some evidence that the rise of passive stock investing has increased the duration/durability of bubbles. When every holder of a stock is a active investor, then buying in out of greed, or selling out of panic, can happen to a greater % of shareholders at any one time. When 30% of a stock is held by passive investors who aren't making active pricing decisions, then a rout requires a higher % of the active investors to panic and sell to trigger a rout.

do you have any links you could point to going over this in more detail? stock price is simply set by the last sale, so intuitively passive funds should have no significant role in pricing as long as there are a handful of buyers and sellers actively attempting to price the stock. a stock can have 99% of its shares held passively, if the 1% of shares that's actively being traded has its price drop off a cliff, that's going to set the price for the other 99% that aren't trading

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Baddog posted:

hah!

True, true, and funny. But isn't "needing to have some poo poo to brag about" unfortunately the crux of everything humans do?

see dxyz, a publically traded closed end fund with a basket of different hot private equity holdings. the last calculated nav was $54 million, current spot price puts the funds value at $700 million, which is somehow still way off the high earlier this week of $1.4 billion or nearly 26x the nav as calculated at the end of last quarter

the ability to brag that you own stakes of the hot private firms apparently is worth quite the premium

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think the fed definitely has a share of the blame for the post '08 extended run of high unemployment. they should have weighed full employment more heavily against price stability, especially given how minimal inflation was that decade. to be fair, they had taken this failing to heart when it came to covid

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
and i was specifically referring to post '08 policy and its role in extending the impacts of the crisis. and if you read 21st century monetary policy, you'll see that bernanke basically agrees and saw the aggressive response to covid as a success in incorporating lessons learned from '08-'12 (though it was published in 2022, so maybe the inflation spike would temper that, though i think the rough patch of inflation was much, much preferable to the type of extended doldrums we saw in '08-'12)

though i will say that i don't think loose interest rates played anywhere near the role in the crisis that the proliferation of mbs did in causing the housing crisis. banks had huge short term incentivizes to issue as many mortgages as possible, and after the good borrowers had all taken loans, they were fine with take big credit risk to keep growing the amount of mbs they could sell. i mean, the increasing popularity of adjustable rate mortgages were specifically so the banks didn't have to pay much attention to current rates when issuing new mortgages, because you could get risky borrowers to sign up on below overnight lending rates and then get it off your books before the payments ballooned when the rates adjusted a year or two later. banks issuing arm ninja loans were never going to give a poo poo if the fed tightened by even a couple hundred bps, they had a clear goal of just getting as many new loans on the books as possible to get the fees from selling them on to be securitized. everyone knew that they were handling a hot potato, they just all thought it would only burn the next guy. the only way tight monetary policy could have stopped it would have been to just crash it early by taking the rate to punitive levels that would have never flown when it wasn't clear ahead of time just how bad the systemic overleverage was. it was entirely a regulatory failure, monetary policy was never going to do much to stop it, but it could have done more to keep money circulating after the direct crisis was halted

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mrmcd posted:

Today in lol Turkey:

https://archive.md/sSJFp

Hey guys you can backstop a depreciating currency by just handing out sacks of that same currency to cover fx losses, right? That's how money works? Asking for a friend.

woof, 25b is 2.75% of 2022 gdp

man, erdagon straight up not understanding how interest rates and inflation interact and single handedly turning the lira to poo poo is a continuing mindfuck

edit:

seems like a tips-esque vehicle that i guess were priced poorly at auction or something?

quote:

Under the existing mechanism, lira depositors can hedge against currency losses by getting state-guaranteed compensation for any depreciation that exceeds the interest on the accounts. The costs stemming from the program — previously split between the Treasury and the central bank — were fully transferred to the monetary authority in July last year.

also if the problem is an inflation hedge program that they can't unwind, then it seems like it hobbles the banks' ability to print their way out of the issue

quote:

The program still has the equivalent of about $70 billion in foreign exchange-linked savings.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 16, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if all non-competes involved garden leave at the employers expense i wouldn't give a poo poo, but the non-competes that just effectively bar employees from the industry for a significant period of time stink of concerted wage fixing more than ip protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
rational reminder had michael green on to discuss the potential for systemic risk due to passive investing

lot of food for thought in this one. apologies for the large post, but i'm trying to seriously work through the arguments because it goes against many of my priors and the general consensus

quoting what i think are a couple of key points from michael

quote:

So, what you've done is you've increased the proportion of market participants that are truly valuation insensitive, or price insensitive is another way to think about it. As a result, what you've done is you've actually increased the inelasticity of the market. The ability for prices to change in response to relatively small changes in supply and demand. That's really the primary dynamic. You removed that historical filter in which investors would react to higher prices by saying all else equal, the information content that I've now received is that future returns will be lower. Therefore, I'm more willing to sell.

For passive investors, you actually receive the opposite signal. As the price goes higher, relative to other securities, it becomes relatively more attractive. It's presumed that there's information content there. As a result, you actually allocate more capital to those names that have gone off the most.

quote:

As you push values higher and higher and higher, and you concentrate the resources in vehicles, like the Vanguard total market index that carries no cash whatsoever, it's a $1.6 trillion fund that carries $80 million in cash. If an active manager were to come into your office and say, “We're running a $1.6 trillion fund with $80 million of cash”, you would throw them out of your office and say, “Don't ever talk to me again.” That's completely irresponsible. But we look at that with Vanguard, and we're like, “Oh, yes, of course, this is the safe way for people to invest.” So, the problem occurs when people try to take money out. When they try to take that money out, Vanguard has no choice but to turn to the market for that liquidity. The scale of these entities are now at the size that just like the XIV, you could actually cause yourself to exhaust the order book and a crash to commence.

quote:

Their tests show that the largest companies, those that make up the top of the S&P 500 or the Nasdaq-100, paradoxically, are the least elastic. And as they become larger and larger, and the index becomes concentrated amongst those names, the indices themselves, the markets themselves are becoming significantly less elastic.

quote:

Cameron Passmore: Why are flows into a cap-weighted index fund different from flows into the overall aggregate of active which obviously holds the market?

Mike Green: So, first of all, that's not obviously true. The second part of your statement that all active managers match all passive managers in aggregate, is an untrue statement that's predicated on the idea of fully complete markets with no regulation that doesn't have requirements around diversification, et cetera. That's honestly just a misframing of the reality that, unfortunately, gets repeated over and over and over again.

Look at some of the most successful investments until very recently would be entities like the Tiger Funds that were very active in non-public equities. There's non-public equities. There's non-public real estate. There's non-public companies. There's non-public debt. None of those can actually be represented within the indices. So, it's really quite disingenuous. Actually, use the language of Bill Sharpe and say that they’re just the same thing, because they're not. The second component is that it's not really so much that you're waiting on the basis of market capitalization, although, that does have a disconnect. This is again, under the academic work of JP Bouchaud, who showed who highlights that liquidity does not scale with market capitalization. It scales with volume and volatility.

The market cap is only peripherally related to volume and volatility. If I looked at the number of shares and quantity of trading from Microsoft, for example, relative to Delta Airlines, while their market capitalizations are roughly 100 times different, their trading volumes are only about five times different. That's actually a by-product of market structure, how trading activity actually occurs. If I'm a market maker, I have to put capital up against trades to facilitate those trades. The profitability of that capital is determined by the spread between the bid-ask and the quantity of shares that are being traded. If there's only five times as many shares being traded on Microsoft, and it has a tighter bid-ask spread than Delta Airlines, then it's less profitable for me to put capital up against Microsoft in proportion to its market capitalization.

As a result, it actually becomes less liquid, or more inelastic is the easiest way to think about it. When you try to shove through trades in the size that you have to for a market cap-weighted index, it overwhelms and actually causes those names to rise more than they otherwise would be expected to.

quote:

The real issue again, and just go back to the diversification component, it's hugely valuable to have people transact for different reasons. You may want to buy a house, therefore you sell. I may look at a valuation and say, “Well, that's too high. Therefore, I'm going to sell.” Somebody who has even more conviction may say, “Wow, that valuation is so crazy. I'm going to short it and synthetically make more shares available for people.” That's what shorting really is. That diversity creates robustness within the market. Really, all we're describing with the growth of passive and more importantly, the regulatory support for the growth of passive, is that we're effectively narrowing down the diversity and heterogeneity of the marketplace and making it more and more homogeneous into a group of strategies that basically boiled down to, did you give me cash? If so, then buy. Did you ask for cash? If so, then sell.

quote:

So, under the Pension Protection Act of 2006, we switched 401(k)s from opt-in frameworks. In other words, you had to choose to participate to opt-out frameworks. In other words, you had to choose not to participate. That was a substantive change in the market that was done under lobbying from primarily Vanguard and BlackRock.

The second key change was the designation of qualified default investment alternatives. So, if you're going to default somebody into participating, you have to put them into something. It actually turned out that the vast majority of people or not the vast majority, but many people, when they chose to participate in their 401(k), would look at the plethora of choices available to them and say, “Man, I have no idea,” and just hold cash.

So, the QDIA changed that. It started to force people into the market and therefore led to far greater participation. Interestingly enough, when that was done in 2006, that led to the explosion of the growth of firms like PIMCO, that could manage balanced funds that combined bonds and equities into a single product. That was then replaced as the Qualified Default Investment Alternative, QDIA in 2012, by target date funds. Today, I want to say the number is somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 cents of every retirement dollar in the United States now flows into a target date fund.

quote:

Because of the growth of passive. It's not because active managers have a harder job or because there's fewer idiots out there, et cetera. There's plenty of idiots. Just look at GameStop. But what we're actually experiencing as a market that is being distorted from the growth of passive. As that becomes larger over time, it creates this exponential curve of rising valuations, that in turn forces mechanically the alphas lower for active managers, which causes us to fire the active managers because they're idiots, and replace them with the oh-so-efficient passive investing, which further exacerbates the problem.

quote:

Now, perversely, we're at the same stage, we bought ourselves capacity by changing the markets from cap-weighted to float-adjusted cap weights. But now we've exhausted it. So, we're seeing the same underlying behaviour, and people are, of course, waking up and saying, “Hey, this whole value thing, boy, that was stupid. I should be a momentum investor. I should be a technology investor. Just get me some of that sweet, sweet AI stuff and I'm going to be rich like Croesus.” Right now, ironically, all they're doing is accelerating the termination point. But that's what's underway right now.

quote:

So, doing things like buying call options, which historically had delivered significantly negative returns, now actually largely offer positive returns, because the market has shifted in that drift feature. That would be one way that you incorporate it. You embed long-term or you embed call option-type strategies that capture elements of this drift and are candidly not properly priced for those underlying dynamics.

The other way that you identify this or you deal with this is you recognize that the information content that we're receiving on the health of the economy, and the health of individual securities is actually wrong. It's being corrupted by these underlying dynamics. That's trickier because it effectively requires you to start saying, “Where do I start to bet against this? Where do I think this starts to unwind?” Now, my models would suggest that what this largely means is that markets are increasingly reliant on employment, that contribution from 401(k)s, and ultimately, that you start unwinding this process. Again, it is really tricky because there's multiple levels to thinking through how this plays out.

quote:

That is the core issue. And most people have kind of woken up to the giant joke. You can't allow a retirement system to fail, and the US markets have become our retirement system. So, the US government is going to be forced to intervene. Now ironically, if we know that the US government is going to be forced to intervene, that makes us more comfortable investing, therefore, we push prices up higher, which in turn means a larger sell-off is required for the US government to intervene, and how the game plays out. And that moral hazard, I got to be honest with you, is beyond my IQ.

my initial impression listening to the interview, which has been bolstered by reading the transcript, is that the essential problem michael is seeing is not so much an inherent function of passive or index investing, but that the last 40 years and the last decade especially have been a lesson that there is no alternative to equities for significant long term real returns, especially in comparison to the flatlining real value of your lifetime human capital. the regulatory and general philosophical shifts of the 70's and 80's which put a pointed emphasis on shareholder value over both management and labor, combined with increased access to the market, simultaneously allowed and forced everyone to become shareholders to an extent not previously seen

i can see how passive investing has helped facilitate this trend by offering a convenient vehicle to access the market, but in a scenario where there is a mass liquidation of 401ks it's hard for me to picture how there wouldn't be liquidity crisis leading to a historical market crash even if everyone was actively investing in an older style portfolio with holdings in a dozen or so in random companies based on some kind of fundamental analysis. to my mind if everyone is eating their seed corn the problem is going to be the extent of excess valuations and leverage, not liquidity

i guess if we hit a point where the withdrawals of retirees is greater than the contributions of the labor force there would be a long term liquidity problem, but again i'm not entirely sure how everyone holding bespoke portfolios would solve this

i'm not entirely sure what to make about the arguments that alpha is more difficult to achieve, because the whole reason index/passive investing is viable as a product is because achieving consistent alpha on an individual basis (even considering gross, not net) was so vanishingly rare that it was likely down to random chance

i don't know, i wouldn't be surprised if i'm missing something, but i don't see how it's passive funds specifically that are the problem here