Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

pmchem posted:

Granted it was not equally distributed across the population but that’s a different topic.

Come on man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Could your average pizza delivery driver and waitress couple buy a house today?

Because that's what my parents did in 1988 when I was born. A full blown 2BR/1B starter home. After my sister was born, they upgraded to a 3BR/2B four years later, my dad having gone from pizza delivery to parcel delivery driver.

Is that possible today, given the expected average wages of these two occupations?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

drk posted:

I think a lot of the consumer grumbling about inflation is that people want 2023 wages with 2019 prices.

Never mind that for broad swathes of the population, wages in 2019 were already underpaid compared to the cost of living back then.

Fight for $15 was a key policy people were pushing for in 2016. Nowadays I'm finally seeing $15 as the standard entry level wage in my small, lowish COL town -- but we've still experienced huge, inflationary jumps in prices just like everywhere else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Leperflesh posted:

This statement is not connected to the first two sentences you typed. The feedback loop for the Fed is about controlling inflation. Inflation is tracked by the CPI, not wages or employment. The Fed, explicitly, is willing to accept an increase in unemployment in order to slow down inflation: however, remarkably, the rapid increase in rates over the last two years has failed to produce a recession or a spike in unemployment. This suggests that what the Fed is doing is working, actually.

What you want maybe is higher wages and lower unemployment, and that's cool, I want that too. But the Fed's mandate is not to pursue that goal, it's to pursue carefully controlled inflation first and foremost, under the economic theory that a low but positive rate of inflation tends to lead to a stable economy that works better for everyone. Job growth is part of that plan but it's supposed to be an effect of the stable low inflation, not a goal to the exclusion of inflationary concerns.

In my opinion based on the data of the last two years, the feedback loop for the Fed is working spectacularly well.

I see.