Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Goldman predicting a 5-20% drop in home prices over the next 12 months

https://fortune.com/2023/03/24/these-global-housing-markets-further-slide-goldman-sachs-home-price-correction/

To the complete surprise of nobody,

The house we're in contact on, listed in June 2022 for 15% above the current asking/closing price, and maybe could have gone lower if we were more aggressive

My god, that drop cancels out months of previous gains! Someone who bought in 2020 and sold their house a only couple years later might make less profit!

Sarcasm aside, since this causes wealthy boomers to have slightly less money I expect most governments will take emergency measures to prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s a PRC prestige project. There’s a non zero chance that Powerstar is buying Intel chips and slapping a new lid on them.

Seems far more likely than magic reverse engineering of intel's entire layout (which would be more effort than just designing a new chip by an order of magnitude or two and nothing even slightly close has even been done publicly).

EDIT: I literally cannot explain how laughably implausible it would be to copy a modern CPU layout. Even if you stole a complete set of mask data, making it work on a new fab would basically entail designing the chip again, except with a lot more extra steps.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 26, 2023

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

SF has extremely visible poverty problems, but those get translated to "crime" and "quality of life" by the media

No one knows how high the crime rate is because there are no stats. Things like:

- Chasing someone down the street and threatening them with violence
- Sexually harassing a woman and threatening her with sexual assault
- Stealing a bike
- Breaking into a car
- Stealing a catalytic converter

are all crimes, but are rarely reported to police because there's no point. And a shitload of these things happen in SF every day.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

That the Fed has been over the last four years an incredibly successful agency that may have saved us from the recession that most every other big country is currently reeling from is just not a message that people want to hear when they want to be mad at someone.

I think we need a lot more time and retrospect to be confident that they've done a good job. I'm sure people were praising the fed in the late 90s or early 2000s, only to find out later that they were driving us straight to the fireworks factory.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hypnophant posted:

ehhhh pretty tough imo to pin the GFC entirely on the Fed, even in its role as bank regulator. the biggest causes were the subprime mortgage crisis (not the Fed's portfolio; GSE policies should have been in place to prevent it) and overleveraged hedge funds and investment banks ("shadow banking"; a grey area in hindsight, but at the time no one thought the Fed had the authority to regulate Bear Stearns et al.)

I wouldn't pin it on them entirely, but I think the loose money supply has to be a big factor in why the crisis happens at the scale that it does. Like you can make an overly simple argument that it's just loose money -> asset bubble, and that all of the bad stuff that happened around mortgage policy and securitization was an outcome incentivized by the monetary policy rather than a separate cause. In reality I'm sure the explosion of the creation and trading of exotic mortgage-based securities was both an effect and a cause of the asset bubble, but I still put interest rates as a big factor in the issue.

Then again, interest rates as the main cause is also one of the more popular layperson explanations of the crisis, which should probably bias us to have some doubt in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hypnophant posted:

I like that the first two responses are disagreeing with me, but also directly opposed to each other - muir is saying monetary policy was too tight, schtick is saying it was too loose. Doesn't necessarily mean they got the balancing act exactly right, but they were at least in the ballpark.

I was specifically referring to pre-2007 monetary policy in my comments on its role in creating the crisis.