Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
WELCOME TO THE GBS FEEDBACK POST!

It's been a while since we've heard from you, our GBS posting pals. In that vein, we'd like to hear from you about your experiences with the forum. What works? What doesn't? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of if you say Seth I will rain holy fire on your rear end? Do you have a question or curiosity we can answer? If you have something to say or a suggestion, post it!

Couple of notes before we get started:

- The reason we had the c-word rule was because long before any our times (around when Genesplicer was Jesus's high school teacher iirc) a lot of female goons really felt uncomfortable with the overuse of it, which I agree with, and therefore it was fully banned outside the last of the British Empire threads.

- megathreads do exist and they're their own extremely interesting sociological niches. It's fascinating to see the thread culture that's developed over the years. However, we also recognize that there may be a large barrier of entry to a lot of threads. We'd invite your ideas on how to mitigate this issue.

:siren: RULES :siren:

However, we're going to strictly moderate this thread. GBS shitposting is allowed within reason (because we can't keep you from being you), but we're going to be enforcing the rules hard.

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • For this thread only the c-word rule is lifted. However, don't use this as an excuse to just spam it because you can because we're not going to allow it.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it. If you disagree with other posters, do it respectfully and don't insult them (unless it's funny) or tell them their feedback is worthless.
  • There may be regulars from other forums who give feedback. If given in good faith, that feedback will be considered. Just because they're not a "GBS regular" doesn't mean that they may not have some ideas we can incorporate. Conversely, if you're not a regular of this forum and come to poo poo up this thread with non-constructive feedback, that won't be taken lightly.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.

So, GBS, what do you want to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:firstpost:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm tugging and want to say oval office.

But for real the rule that you can only say the c word in 1 thread is wack af.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the oval office rule is bad for normal word filter reasons and even dumber that its allowed in the uk and aus threads

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i just wanna post with my friends and do hoodrat thigns

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I can only speak for me, but I'm not going to be in total favor of a "use it at any time against anyone" sort of rule. I think there's a middle ground to be had in terms of loosening the rule, but using it against women is going to be a red line for me personally

What's your thoughts on that sort of loosening?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
thats dumb af seth lol

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Nooner posted:

thats dumb af seth lol

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
GBS ftw…. Delete all the “serious” forums and roll them into GBS. This will create a new “marketplace of ideas”

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

nom epique posted:

GBS ftw…. Delete all the “serious” forums and roll them into GBS. This will create a new “marketplace of ideas”

Don't do this but make epic a mod instead

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
okay okay guys i get it new rule you can call each other fags again but using it against someone who is gay is a red line

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

okay okay guys i get it new rule you can call each other fags again but using it against someone who is gay is a red line

lol

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Seth I need a stat title change

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ban it in the commonwealth threads. take away their oval office, make it sting

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

nom epique posted:

Seth I need a stat title change

This is unironically more important and a better use of time than yet another litigation of the oval office issue

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The 5 star rating should be changed to pig balls

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
idk just let the megathread IKs police their threads (make me the ik of the weed thread thanks) and unban the word. I don't like or use the word but the ban just causes goons to use it more lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
actually on that note make sure all of the megathreads have at least one IK

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Saalkin posted:

I'm tugging and want to say oval office.

But for real the rule that you can only say the c word in 1 thread is wack af.

Technically it's 2 threads. (3 if you count this one too) :eng101:

Personally I have no issues with using "oval office" even though I'm American. However, I'm also male, and I do understand why women would feel uncomfortable if the word was just being casually thrown around in a derogatory manner.

The UK/Aus threads exception was a sort of compromise as yes, we realise that outside of the US the term doesn't have the gendered connotations it does in the US. Is it a perfect solution? No. Would we like suggestions on how to improve it? Yes.

I don't think an outright removal of the ban is appropriate at this time, though. Also trying to enforce the "don't direct it at women" thing is an issue because I doubt anyone here knows what gender every single poster here identifies as.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 17, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Good posters say oval office like this, bad posters say oval office like this.

The mods make the rules crystal clear once again! Thank u ahain mods for ur service

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
coconunt

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's just another symptom of the broader issue of the bad policy of word filter moderation. i don't use the word personally either irl or on here but probably 95%+ of the probes for it are dumb as hell. also it always manifests as "okay so what slurs am i allowed to use then hurrr". if a poster calls another a oval office as part of a vitriolic screed, they should be probated for unnecessary meanness or whateevr mods say, not 6'd over a filtered word

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Technically it's 2 threads. (3 if you count this one too) :eng101:

Personally I have no issues with using "oval office" even though I'm American. However, I'm also male, and I do understand why women would feel uncomfortable if the word was just being casually thrown around in a derogatory manner.

The UK/Aus threads exception was a sort of compromise as yes, we realise that outside of the US the term doesn't have the gendered connotations it does in the US. Is it a perfect solution? No. Would we like suggestions on how to improve it? Yes.

I don't think an outright removal of the ban is appropriate at this time, though. Also trying to enforce the "don't direct it at women" thing is an issue because I doubt anyone here knows what gender every single poster here identifies as.

but you guys can just remove the ban on the word and then ban anybody who uses it in the lovely American way. That's called policing the community and setting expectations. You just gotta communicate that it's okay to use the c-word but not in a hateful way and if you do use it in a hateful way, you're banned. No probes, no weird punishments, just ban 'em if they are being lovely. That's always been the right way to handle poo poo here

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
E: nm

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 17, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also mods please stop with the finger wagging probation reasons like you're a parent scolding a child (not singling any one mod out on this). it's extremelyt cringe and only further serves to separate mods into this authoritative class that is separateand morally superior to posters

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Funny story, the reason I stopped using the c word is because I was a really angry teen who thought using curse words was cool, and so at some point I picked up that word and used it around my mom. Than one day she called me it and I felt just really gross and imagined that that most be how it feels when I use it against other people. So now I only use that word around my best friend who, ironically, shares my name. So it’s also okay when we talk about JOing each other.

Anyway that’s my story!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's just another symptom of the broader issue of the bad policy of word filter moderation. i don't use the word personally either irl or on here but probably 95%+ of the probes for it are dumb as hell. also it always manifests as "okay so what slurs am i allowed to use then hurrr". if a poster calls another a oval office as part of a vitriolic screed, they should be probated for unnecessary meanness or whateevr mods say, not 6'd over a filtered word

bagmonkey posted:

but you guys can just remove the ban on the word and then ban anybody who uses it in the lovely American way. That's called policing the community and setting expectations. You just gotta communicate that it's okay to use the c-word but not in a hateful way and if you do use it in a hateful way, you're banned. No probes, no weird punishments, just ban 'em if they are being lovely. That's always been the right way to handle poo poo here

This is the way

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By banning the evil word, the mods have increased its usage by about 1000% and turned it into a contrarian rallying cry

Good job

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

also mods please stop with the finger wagging probation reasons like you're a parent scolding a child (not singling any one mod out on this). it's extremelyt cringe and only further serves to separate mods into this authoritative class that is separateand morally superior to posters

this

Also please, please for the love of god kill gimmick accounts and gimmick posting on sight. They're not funny, they've never been funny, and there will never be a funny one.

Also make me IK of the RLM thread so i can chain probate driftingmouse and xjakk when they post there

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Space Kablooey posted:

this

Also please, please for the love of god kill gimmick accounts and gimmick posting on sight. They're not funny, they've never been funny, and there will never be a funny one.

Also make me IK of the RLM thread so i can chain probate driftingmouse and xjakk when they post there

Ban space kablooey for being no fun lol

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i should get a oval office pass for being scottish. the aussies and the irish can have them too, they're both sound.

and ban megathreads.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Nooner posted:

lol no ban them for being the Forums Understander

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

Saalkin