Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

DPPH for a new generation

Goons Gooning is the new name tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol get his rear end

her*

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gah!!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Anyway I think rebooting megathreads at least yearly should help out bringing in new people to them at least.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

Anyway I think rebooting megathreads at least yearly should help out bringing in new people to them at least.

how the gently caress will we ever get to 5000 pages then????

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

how the gently caress will we ever get to 5000 pages then????

post more!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

The more active ones usually are, aren’t they? Maybe not quite yearly but once they start to get unwieldy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just checked a few and it looks like they are, yeah. I think the only kinda stale one is r/relationships, then.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Space Kablooey posted:

Just checked a few and it looks like they are, yeah. I think the only kinda stale one is r/relationships, then.

I’ll agree that one moves so fast it could probably benefit from more frequent reboots.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I never got rebooting threads. Are people really afraid of clicking a thread that is to big?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

steinrokkan posted:

I never got rebooting threads. Are people really afraid of clicking a thread that is to big?

I know there are some technical issues on the backend where things can get wonky once a thread reaches x pages. I think it’s more that it’s hard for new folks to get into the culture of a mega thread because there’s thousands of pages of back history. I say :justpost: but I can understand less adventurous or newer posters getting intimidated by larger threads.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I know there are some technical issues on the backend where things can get wonky once a thread reaches x pages. I think it’s more that it’s hard for new folks to get into the culture of a mega thread because there’s thousands of pages of back history. I say :justpost: but I can understand less adventurous or newer posters getting intimidated by larger threads.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

c

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Maybe it's my lifetime spent gasping for breath struggling to keep my head out of the bog in damp rainy Britain but it seems extremely obvious when someone is being abusive to women with their choice of language and easy to be able to ban that behaviour (with or without naughty words) without using a word filter on all uses regardless of intent.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

but using it against women is going to be a red line for me personally

I'd be pretty annoyed if some mod dude swooped in to punish someone for calling me "oval office", especially if I didn't make any request for it, that's patronising as heck. If the content of post was an outright attack then sure but yeaahhh no thnx.

As always this comes down to context being an important factor but I've already spoken to you about this a few times so lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
This whole oval office debacle really seems like it shares a lot with whether or not the hard "r" makes a difference

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Maybe it's my lifetime spent gasping for breath struggling to keep my head out of the bog in damp rainy Britain but it seems extremely obvious when someone is being abusive to women with their choice of language and easy to be able to ban that behaviour (with or without naughty words) without using a word filter on all uses regardless of intent.

Solefald posted:

I'd be pretty annoyed if some mod dude swooped in to punish someone for calling me "oval office", especially if I didn't make any request for it, that's patronising as heck. If the content of post was an outright attack then sure but yeaahhh no thnx.

As always this comes down to context being an important factor but I've already spoken to you about this a few times so lol

This is a fair criticism, and maybe the outright attack angle is a different beast than just saying it

I guess my issue is that the internet is already a hotbed of misogyny, and if we were to allow that word to be used freely it should come with the expectation that mods and IKs have to make judgement calls on where the line is if any. I don't want to rule lawyers this and say "this is a violation of subsection 23, clause 7". Maybe the line is direct attacks, I dunno. It's why it's helpful to have feedback like this to hear differing perspectives imo

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nooner posted:

This whole oval office debacle really seems like it shares a lot with whether or not the hard "r" makes a difference

You're etarded lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Maybe the line is direct attacks

it's this, op. good we clearer that one up

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Re: oval office - I agree with the other posters who say context is key. I'm all for banning it when someone uses it as an attack on another poster, and it should be clear from context when that's happening, but I never like blanket bans on words because it feels so draconian and AI. I understand it makes some people extremely unconfortable, but unless you want to double down on this being an American forum for American posters only it's going to come up. I much prefer this place being international, where we get a lot more perspectives from all over the place even if sometimes they use words Americans don't like. The occasional accidental probe for a mistake in context is better than a blanket ban on naughty words.

Re: Megathreads - Admins, mods, and some posters have been trying to kill megathreads for decades and I just don't get it. They inevitably reform as soon as they're restarted, because people like fastposting about those topics and that's how they get to be megathreads in the first place. The key is people just need to realize it's okay to not have read every post in the thead before replying, just jump to like 2-5 pages to the end to catch up. I've never seen a megathread in GBS where someone new joins in and they get jumped on for not being a thread regular or something. Just post.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Idiot Americans too dumb to understand the nuanced international perspective of calling someone a oval office is a good take

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

If the UK thread got killed you'd be getting a constant stream of new "which monster munch is better?" and "rate my meal deal" threads every week.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I guess my issue is that the internet is already a hotbed of misogyny, and if we were to allow that word to be used freely it should come with the expectation that mods and IKs have to make judgement calls on where the line is if any

Maybe the line is direct attacks, I dunno.

hey look Shrek, it's my post I posted earlier, just fuckin do it already. If it doesn't work, go back to the old rule, ez pz. You'll have to endure like a week of heavy c word usage but the kids will tire themselves out I promise

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
as for megathreads, the key to overcoming megathread anxiety is to click on whatever page is 3 pages from the last post and start reading there. If you enjoy it you can read the rest of the thread. booya, fixed

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Proposal to rename Seth "Shrek Pecksniff"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
go back to being lowkey sex master

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

hey look Shrek, it's my post I posted earlier, just fuckin do it already. If it doesn't work, go back to the old rule, ez pz. You'll have to endure like a week of heavy c word usage but the kids will tire themselves out I promise

Part of why we're looking for feedback too is to update the rules thread so this'll be taken into consideration

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bagmonkey posted:

as for megathreads, the key to overcoming megathread anxiety is to click on whatever page is 3 pages from the last post and start reading there. If you enjoy it you can read the rest of the thread. booya, fixed

:hmmyes:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bagmonkey posted:

There is much wisdom to gain from the :reg03:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
40 year old man calling another 40 year old man a oval office on a web forum that laughs about human tragedy and regularly posts a man's gaping rear end in a top hat = a hate crime

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Aaaaaannd here we go

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

40 year old man calling another 40 year old man a retard on a web forum because he is defending pedophilic anime as misunderstood art = bigotry in the highest order

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you hate it so much why are you here?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah I don't see that going anywhere good so knock it off please :thanks:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Aaaaaannd here we go

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

The point is the absurdity of you being so concerned over the word oval office or retard. It's about context and is the exact same discussion you're already having.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Full metal jackass about to hit tha mods with the ol "Chinatown Special" ITT :grin:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Jackass posted:

The point is the absurdity of you being so concerned over the word oval office or retard. It's about context and is the exact same discussion you're already having.

my dude I'm sorry you're BIG mad you can't run around dropping the r-word everywhere like it's 2005 and the Black Eyed Peas are popular but times have changed, society has moved on, and you should too

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Please stop feeding the troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

bagmonkey posted: