Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

This thread seems like a gigantic honeypot for people who want to make a joke about really dumb rules they dont agree with. That being said

im oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What? When you get a report, do you not look at the context of the post anyways before slamming buttons?

nice to have an actual admission of that lmao

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe from now on I will reply only with animated GIFs.

Dude, my MS Teams chat is half lovely animated gifs. I thought we were trying to be less corporate sounding.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Maybe the best solution is just to give everyone mod buttons and ability to give a hot 6 to whoever they like

Chaos reigns

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

This thread seems like a gigantic honeypot for people who want to make a joke about really dumb rules they dont agree with. That being said

im oval office

No honeypot; we do want opinions on this but it doesn't mean we're going to act at this exact moment

Nooner posted:

Maybe the best solution is just to give everyone mod buttons and ability to give a hot 6 to whoever they like

Chaos reigns

Unironically agree tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

To some extent, yeah. You're talking about requiring more labor from an unpaid, volunteer workforce. Why would I want to further cut into my shitposting time by feeling expected to read every post in every thread to see if the use of slurs is appropriately contextual? Having clear lines makes it much more manageable.

Well, it's a volunteer position, why do it if you hate reading?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe from now on I will reply only with animated GIFs.

I brought this idea up in SAD and got a probation great job mod team real helpful

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

To some extent, yeah. You're talking about requiring more labor from an unpaid, volunteer workforce. Why would I want to further cut into my shitposting time by feeling expected to read every post in every thread to see if the use of slurs is appropriately contextual? Having clear lines makes it much more manageable.

dude make thread regulars who aren't psychos the IK of that thread and it'll cut down on the work drastically. It's not that tough to ID who in the thread doesn't have meltdowns regularly and actually gives a poo poo about keeping the thing alive

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

No honeypot; we do want opinions on this but it doesn't mean we're going to act at this exact moment

So just to be clear, they're just posting their views rather than outright dismissing people?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I WILL FIGHT ANYONE IN THESE FORUMS TO THE DEATH TO BE IK OF THE DOOBIE THREAD

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What? When you get a report, do you not look at the context of the post anyways before slamming buttons?

Yeah, I do - that's normal procedure. What I was talking about was some expectation to follow all threads and evaluate every use of slurs on a case-by-case basis. More often than not I see a report, check the context, and then dismiss it because no response is needed - there are way more reports that result in no action than ones that do.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Solefald posted:

So just to be clear, they're just posting their views rather than outright dismissing people?

I can't speak for them and I won't. I can only speak for myself, and I want people's views on these subjects.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Make Nooner IK of GBS, he'll definitely help out :)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is really not helpful. Should I have included more smilies? Should I swear a little more? What would make it sound less like the dreaded HR voice?

dumping a "your ticket is important to us" paragraph is an example of The Mod Voice. the subsequent posts have been more normal, so congrats on that

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

the mouth-breathers

is this the useful feedback you were after? a coy little synonym for "retard" doesn't trigger any alarm bells but it's still got the same sentiment behind it

the whole "use context" thing involves reading a post, deciding "does this come off as overly aggressive or misogynistic", and probing based off that - you can have misogynistic posts even without saying the no-no word, and if you're saying reading posts is too much effort then i don't really know what to tell you.

i understand the benefit of having a clear line in the sand for rulebreaking but it's just either making more work for yourself if you have to manually apply a filter as well, or it's bad modding if your filter replaces any attempt at understanding. it is the philosophy underneath the modding that people are bothered about, rather than the chance to say "oval office"

alternatively put an actual wordfilter in place to convert it to "gbs poster", and job done

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
If they can say it, why cant I?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

alternatively put an actual wordfilter in place to convert it to "gbs poster", and job done

I actually like this idea :thunk:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dumping a "your ticket is important to us" paragraph is an example of The Mod Voice. the subsequent posts have been more normal, so congrats on that

is this the useful feedback you were after? a coy little synonym for "retard" doesn't trigger any alarm bells but it's still got the same sentiment behind it

the whole "use context" thing involves reading a post, deciding "does this come off as overly aggressive or misogynistic", and probing based off that - you can have misogynistic posts even without saying the no-no word, and if you're saying reading posts is too much effort then i don't really know what to tell you.

i understand the benefit of having a clear line in the sand for rulebreaking but it's just either making more work for yourself if you have to manually apply a filter as well, or it's bad modding if your filter replaces any attempt at understanding. it is the philosophy underneath the modding that people are bothered about, rather than the chance to say "oval office"

this. i have no desire to use the words currently being modfiltered, my problem is that its lazy policy

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

im oval office

We do want actual feedback. One of the biggest issues we've seen is that posters feel disconnected from the mods (our "Ivory Tower" if you will), and that complaint isn't without merit.

Are we going to agree with and implement every change requested? No. But we certainly will take any decent ideas meant to improve GBS into consideration.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Well, it's a volunteer position, why do it if you hate reading?

Do you seriously read every thread in GBS? Does anyone? Actually, I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that last question.

bagmonkey posted:

dude make thread regulars who aren't psychos the IK of that thread and it'll cut down on the work drastically. It's not that tough to ID who in the thread doesn't have meltdowns regularly and actually gives a poo poo about keeping the thing alive

We do actually try to do this. More IKs and mods would be great. It's just easier said than done - a lot of people decline when asked. That's true across SA as a whole, not just a GBS thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you seriously read every thread in GBS? Does anyone? Actually, I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that last question.

No, you clarified it in a later post, and your response was reasonable, it's just as you originally wrote it, it sounded as though you were responding to reports blindly.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Im gonna say it and no one can stop me

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
tbh an actual word filter on the r-word that replaces the word with an embed to this video would be a solution I'm down for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-7AnOx22k

that way you don't gotta police poo poo and everyone can listen to that hit song from black eyed peas

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

tbh an actual word filter on the r-word that replaces the word with an embed to this video would be a solution I'm down for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-7AnOx22k

that way you don't gotta police poo poo and everyone can listen to that hit song from black eyed peas

lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I find the big threads never leave and I don't want to enter a post with 1k pages. Otherwise the little threads are often worthless boner posts. Why isn't GBS fun anymore? Why am I, a 20 year gbs poster, living in Byob now because they're at least nice?

Also no war thread in gbs

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you can edit my post in question to be any shorter and yet convey the same information then great, maybe I was just too wordy. Seriously, though, what other approach would you have preferred? A one-liner dismissing the concern? A leading question? An actual animated GIF?

Sure, my writing style can get a little pedantic, but I do that all the loving time. I've posted the same way forever, from way before I was a mod, and I drop in and out of conversational shitposting and essayist as appropriate. Again, this seems like setting up a no-win situation where either I can answer sincerely and be accused of using "Mod Voice" or I can shitpost and be accused of not listening to users and not taking things seriously.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charles Bukowski posted:

I find the big threads never leave and I don't want to enter a post with 1k pages. Otherwise the little threads are often worthless boner posts. Why isn't GBS fun anymore? Why am I, a 20 year gbs poster, living in Byob now because they're at least nice?

Because it's effectively a GBS offshoot? There's probably a debate to be had about the merits of compartmentalizing the forums into ever smaller subs.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Saalkin posted:

oval office

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah and I don't know any of the mods and admins anymore and they seem to either disappear when they do something irritating or are unnecessarily aggro in their pet threads or whatever. Saddest Rhino owns though. Mod voice bad, I'm 35 with a mortgage and a wheezy lung, talk to me normal.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You’re right, and I’m going to edit my post in a minute because I let my utter and absolute hatred of QCS/SAD color my words. That’s on me and this isn’t the place for it. And no, I’m not still mad about MPP/Derpies/deviantart whatever. I agree that those subjects were controversial, BUT other than grumbling I accepted the administrative decisions about them. I didn’t go crying to QCS because things didn’t go my way. All QCS and SAD do is allow the same twenty squeaky wheels to disingenuously call for blood and dictate policy in forums they only enter to troll.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

Also no war thread in gbs

idk man there's lots of pockets of fun in GBS. Unfortunately there's also like Greg of Doom and Grand Wizard Master and all Those Guys. But they are kinda fun because they say super stupid poo poo for us to laugh at

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You’re right, and I’m going to edit my post in a minute because I let my utter and absolute hatred of QCS/SAD color my words. That’s on me and this isn’t the place for it. And no, I’m not still mad about MPP/Derpies/deviantart whatever. I agree that those subjects were controversial, BUT other than grumbling I accepted the administrative decisions about them. I didn’t go crying to QCS because things didn’t go my way. All QCS and SAD do is allow the same twenty squeaky wheels to disingenuously call for blood and dictate policy in forums they only enter to troll.

Derpies was a sex pest and harassed multiple goons off forums for years lol, lmao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Terminal autist posted:

Derpies was a sex pest and harassed multiple goons off forums for years lol, lmao

I said I understood the decisions dude

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh yeah and I don't know any of the mods and admins anymore and they seem to either disappear when they do something irritating or are unnecessarily aggro in their pet threads or whatever. Saddest Rhino owns though. Mod voice bad, I'm 35 with a mortgage and a wheezy lung, talk to me normal.

If you ain't got a bad back to go with this get off my lawn youngin

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you ain't got a bad back to go with this get off my lawn youngin

I wear a back brace working out and 2 knee braces when I go hiking. I tore a ligament in my shoulder and back while just driving. Getting old sucks.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greg. How many accounts does he have, and what dirt does he have on you Seth for the leniency? Do you need us to go rough him up for you? Does it need to take as long as derpies or snake tits or whatever scum are around

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wear a back brace working out and 2 knee braces when I go hiking. I tore a ligament in my shoulder and back while just driving. Getting old sucks.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greg. How many accounts does he have, and what dirt does he have on you Seth for the leniency? Do you need us to go rough him up for you? Does it need to take as long as derpies or snake tits or whatever scum are around

It sounds like you just don’t like GBS :shrug:

E: like the point is just to shitpost, I’m not sure what you’re looking for?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dude that sucks! Take care of yourself

In my time as mod, Greg has gone through... What six accounts? Something like that.

I don't see him as necessarily a harmful poster, just one that doesn't always toe the line well and gets hit for it. I don't think he's a candidate for a permanent goodbye at all honestly, not in the same nature of those long gone. He's generic white noise shitposter #273 imo

I know we have that rule against gimmick accounts and the like but it's never really been enforced because it's a legacy rule from long ago. That's probably one that'll be purged in the rules redo

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Serious forums deleted when?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nom epique posted:

Serious forums deleted when?

All forums except GBS will be deleted at midnight

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I actually like this idea :thunk:

Yeah, but I'm sure you'd be the first to concede that's you speaking as a right gbs poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have read every single post in gbs and my conclusion is that you are all a bunch of... hmmm what's the word I'm looking for? It's on the tip of my tongue...