Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the oval office rule is bad for normal word filter reasons and even dumber that its allowed in the uk and aus threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

okay okay guys i get it new rule you can call each other fags again but using it against someone who is gay is a red line

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ban it in the commonwealth threads. take away their oval office, make it sting

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's just another symptom of the broader issue of the bad policy of word filter moderation. i don't use the word personally either irl or on here but probably 95%+ of the probes for it are dumb as hell. also it always manifests as "okay so what slurs am i allowed to use then hurrr". if a poster calls another a oval office as part of a vitriolic screed, they should be probated for unnecessary meanness or whateevr mods say, not 6'd over a filtered word

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also mods please stop with the finger wagging probation reasons like you're a parent scolding a child (not singling any one mod out on this). it's extremelyt cringe and only further serves to separate mods into this authoritative class that is separateand morally superior to posters

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

Ban space kablooey for being no fun lol

lol get his rear end

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gah!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Aaaaaannd here we go

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

Please stop feeding the troll.

they're phrasing their criticism as a gbs style joke but i don't think they're trolling. this is a feedback thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

Full metal jackass about to hit tha mods with the ol "Chinatown Special" ITT :grin:

lol. discount rear end chinatown

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dixville posted:

As a cis female,

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that response reads like "thanks for the feedback but our current method is perfect and thusly, request denied :thanks:"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

there are plenty of non misogynistic uses of the word oval office. i know it's mainly an american thing to just outright associate the two, but honestly it's just laziness to ban it outright instead of spending literally 2 minutes to look at the context to decide whether it's worth a probe.

tbh though at the end of the day i'm not that bothered, it's worth a 6er to call ricky gervais one

the response has plainly been "too much work to read posts. gonna word filter instead. and hands absloutely = tied"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What? When you get a report, do you not look at the context of the post anyways before slamming buttons?

nice to have an actual admission of that lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dumping a "your ticket is important to us" paragraph is an example of The Mod Voice. the subsequent posts have been more normal, so congrats on that

is this the useful feedback you were after? a coy little synonym for "retard" doesn't trigger any alarm bells but it's still got the same sentiment behind it

the whole "use context" thing involves reading a post, deciding "does this come off as overly aggressive or misogynistic", and probing based off that - you can have misogynistic posts even without saying the no-no word, and if you're saying reading posts is too much effort then i don't really know what to tell you.

i understand the benefit of having a clear line in the sand for rulebreaking but it's just either making more work for yourself if you have to manually apply a filter as well, or it's bad modding if your filter replaces any attempt at understanding. it is the philosophy underneath the modding that people are bothered about, rather than the chance to say "oval office"

alternatively put an actual wordfilter in place to convert it to "gbs poster", and job done

this. i have no desire to use the words currently being modfiltered, my problem is that its lazy policy

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bagmonkey posted:

tbh an actual word filter on the r-word that replaces the word with an embed to this video would be a solution I'm down for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-7AnOx22k

that way you don't gotta police poo poo and everyone can listen to that hit song from black eyed peas

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

I like the moda

wtf

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm an Australian and despite what people seem to sometimes get from my posts I don't think there's anything wrong with banning the word. My problem is a lot of other poo poo floating by randomly because it "isn't as harmful" or some poo poo.

That mods apparently get together and collectively ban one specific word because it harms people but you get to see people unironically describing things they don't like as "aids" is kind of hosed up.

Say the "c-word"? Instant probe. Call someone the "r-word"? Maybe something will happen if it gets reported. Say someone's opinions are "aids"? Eh, who cares.

A lot of people say a lot of horrible poo poo with no recourse, including directed slurs, but it's only words that are milquetoast outside the US that y'all care about? loving weird.

agreed that the double standard is dumb and that only certain words being kill on sight is bad policy rather than punishing actually hosed up posts. what's the deal with aids though. i thought it was like calling something cancer

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ah. am i good to call things cancer still or does that have a secret dark history too

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

reddit poster

nice bypassing the r word word filter

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

There should just be one great big slur megathread where we can all just go and post em all even the really bad ones, get em all outta our system ya know

the genuine hate speech megatjread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

I got probated for participating in an on topic conversation about parachute retarded ordnance

I think that was retarded as gently caress

i still chuckle at when i was probed for saying retard when referring to engine combustion timing. it was a mispost intended for ai and i forgave the mod but it was a v funny example of word filtering to me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i think it's a forums wide initiative to have always open feedback threads in major subs. it's a good idea imo to have ongoing community feedback. it's not just about oval office and mega threads lol.

suggestion: more iks, rotated regularly, maybe selected by lot like in fyad or whatever. mods should be rotated regularly as well but i understand that the logistics of selecting mods for gbs isn't as simple as many smaller subs. still, maybe 1 year max or something would reduce burnout and keep the mods representative of the community

a pile of iks from across gbs can be selected by lot every 3 months or something

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a whole bunch of iks is a good low risk way to take the pressure off mods who say reading a lot of posts is a lot of work (a somewhat justifiable excuse, gbs is very active compared to other non politics subs) and can make context reading and warning more viable instead of button press word filter style moderation

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Hay guys, kind reminder that this is not the SAD (or other sub forums) feedback thread! Please try to get back on topic! Thank you! :tipshat:

(For the record, those were all good posts in my opinion, and I find myself agreeing with most of the points that were brought up.)

aside from the post above yours, all the SAD posts are commentary on GBS interacting with SAD on rules and policy, and how they feel they can't post in SAD (which some mods have told posters to do). i think it's on topic, as long as it doesn't turn into a crying fest on SAD and brigading or w/e dumb poo poo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

having posting enemies is so insanwly cringe and fail btw. not feedback for gbs mods but rather epically righteous posters like bigbadsteve

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gathering my posting allies and confronting my positjg enemies in a heroic combat of the thirty style showdown, except on an internet forum where my only prize is shame

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can we discourage people from posting "Sorry for the snipe"? Don't really need probes, but I think we've figured out that every post that's divisible by 40 + 1 is a new page, and no one cares.

i've advocated for it to be a probatable offense in the past. it is banned under penalty of death in the friday thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

if someone says sorry for the snipe etc we should kill tem with bullets

this.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

XeeD posted:

I agree. Feedback threads always ends with the loudest, whiniest, bitchiest pricks getting their way because they just don't stop until the admins and mods relent, if only to stop all the reports. I say bring back the old draconian GBS where you'd get probed for not punctuating properly. We used to have standards, drat it.

veto :thanks:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i think we need less moderation but more iks. precision guided munitions instead of carpet bombing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hey everyone i'm lurker guy and i'm here to say this place SUCKS now! :imunfunny:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

ya its pretty cool to write like cormac mccarthy tbh

abslouwlty. this. ftw

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Two things, Seth.

First, I think your feedback thread is largely done cooking for now.

Second, don't insult Sid you jerk :mad:

1: leave this thread open in perpetuity imo. why close it?
2: i'm glad to see sid posting again :3:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

change the thread title to GBS Invasion Brigade Recruiting Station

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Treecko posted:

who really cares

at least a few vocal posters and presumably some regular report button users

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yup. the forums needs to crack down on the disgusting misandry. thjanks for advocating treecko

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

What if we all posted for fun and had fun posting together

gently caress you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

huh? buh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tai posted:

Why are you even here SPR?

why, to give feedback on a forum she loves to post in and read of course!