Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Saalkin posted:

I'm tugging and want to say oval office.

But for real the rule that you can only say the c word in 1 thread is wack af.

Technically it's 2 threads. (3 if you count this one too) :eng101:

Personally I have no issues with using "oval office" even though I'm American. However, I'm also male, and I do understand why women would feel uncomfortable if the word was just being casually thrown around in a derogatory manner.

The UK/Aus threads exception was a sort of compromise as yes, we realise that outside of the US the term doesn't have the gendered connotations it does in the US. Is it a perfect solution? No. Would we like suggestions on how to improve it? Yes.

I don't think an outright removal of the ban is appropriate at this time, though. Also trying to enforce the "don't direct it at women" thing is an issue because I doubt anyone here knows what gender every single poster here identifies as.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Please stop feeding the troll.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

bagmonkey posted:

Lol maybe you guys should like, probate him for trolling in a thread that says no trolling then? Hmm

Was working on it. Buttons don't work in the app, and navigating the site on a phone browser with my fat sausage hands ain't easy.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Dixville posted:

Seriously though I feel like the oval office debate is kinda dumb. Probes/bans should be on a case by case basis anyway. Personally I don't really like the use of it especially considering the site has more men than women so it's kind of creating a bad environment for a minority group. On the other hand the insinuation that women can't "handle" being called a name is honestly a little insulting in itself. Ultimately I am in favor of the ban because I respect the fact that some people find it extremely hurtful and offensive and its really not that hard to just, like, not use it but censorship is not something I'm really a fan of in a general sense. Maybe the truth is ... in the middle???

We don't think women are delicate little flowers that can't handle a naughty word either. Hell, there are quite a few women who've stated they don't care if the word is used. Not all feel that way though, and considering there still is an issue of misogyny here (and the internet as a whole) I'm not all that jazzed about the idea of giving people carte blanche to use the term as they like.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is really not helpful. Should I have included more smilies? Should I swear a little more? What would make it sound less like the dreaded HR voice?

Maybe we should put our responses in the form of early 90's Ad Council PSA raps.

My name is Castro and I'm here to say
Using the "C" slur ain't OK
I know you all would like it to be
But first we got to address the misogyny!

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 17, 2023

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe from now on I will reply only with animated GIFs.

Dude, my MS Teams chat is half lovely animated gifs. I thought we were trying to be less corporate sounding.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

This thread seems like a gigantic honeypot for people who want to make a joke about really dumb rules they dont agree with. That being said

im oval office

We do want actual feedback. One of the biggest issues we've seen is that posters feel disconnected from the mods (our "Ivory Tower" if you will), and that complaint isn't without merit.

Are we going to agree with and implement every change requested? No. But we certainly will take any decent ideas meant to improve GBS into consideration.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Smugworth posted:

We should probably just free Chinatown he's been gone long enough I think he learned his lesson

Chinatown will return in:

gently caress da mods

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Nooner posted:

Yeah because you know I just keep a goddamn rolodex of every users email address :jerkbag:

Of course not, that'd be silly.

You would use a Palm Pilot.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Devils Affricate posted:

My argument is that if you don't have enough time to read the original post and enough posts related to it to get the proper context of a potential offense, you shouldn't be hitting the ban button. The focus should be on what was actually being said in the post rather than the presence of certain words. The system you've fallen back on for getting around your logistical constraints is worse than simply doing nothing.

Unless the post itself is obviously needs a probation/ban, we do go into the thread and read back to figure out context. Every report has a link that takes us directly to the reported post.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Nooner posted:

There should just be one great big slur megathread where we can all just go and post em all even the really bad ones, get em all outta our system ya know

It's called FYAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Checking the SAD change log thread, we have:

The first is self explanatory, but how are the GBS mods interpreting the second? What sort of things are now probable/banable that weren't before?

Honestly, not much changes with the second one. tribute.wmv is 100% still allowed in my book.

Hell, I'd probably be one of the more lenient people because I'm hosed in the head and love gallows humor. That said, we as a team do try to establish a standard and I do try to keep personal taste out when determining if something is probe/ban worthy.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 23, 2023