Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Re: oval office - I agree with the other posters who say context is key. I'm all for banning it when someone uses it as an attack on another poster, and it should be clear from context when that's happening, but I never like blanket bans on words because it feels so draconian and AI. I understand it makes some people extremely unconfortable, but unless you want to double down on this being an American forum for American posters only it's going to come up. I much prefer this place being international, where we get a lot more perspectives from all over the place even if sometimes they use words Americans don't like. The occasional accidental probe for a mistake in context is better than a blanket ban on naughty words.

Re: Megathreads - Admins, mods, and some posters have been trying to kill megathreads for decades and I just don't get it. They inevitably reform as soon as they're restarted, because people like fastposting about those topics and that's how they get to be megathreads in the first place. The key is people just need to realize it's okay to not have read every post in the thead before replying, just jump to like 2-5 pages to the end to catch up. I've never seen a megathread in GBS where someone new joins in and they get jumped on for not being a thread regular or something. Just post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.
Because other than the UK fag/cigarette thing, which I don't think people get probed for, everyone pretty much agrees those other words are slurs in any context.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sell mod positions like indulgences.