Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
idk just let the megathread IKs police their threads (make me the ik of the weed thread thanks) and unban the word. I don't like or use the word but the ban just causes goons to use it more lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
actually on that note make sure all of the megathreads have at least one IK

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Technically it's 2 threads. (3 if you count this one too) :eng101:

Personally I have no issues with using "oval office" even though I'm American. However, I'm also male, and I do understand why women would feel uncomfortable if the word was just being casually thrown around in a derogatory manner.

The UK/Aus threads exception was a sort of compromise as yes, we realise that outside of the US the term doesn't have the gendered connotations it does in the US. Is it a perfect solution? No. Would we like suggestions on how to improve it? Yes.

I don't think an outright removal of the ban is appropriate at this time, though. Also trying to enforce the "don't direct it at women" thing is an issue because I doubt anyone here knows what gender every single poster here identifies as.

but you guys can just remove the ban on the word and then ban anybody who uses it in the lovely American way. That's called policing the community and setting expectations. You just gotta communicate that it's okay to use the c-word but not in a hateful way and if you do use it in a hateful way, you're banned. No probes, no weird punishments, just ban 'em if they are being lovely. That's always been the right way to handle poo poo here

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

DPPH for a new generation

Goons Gooning is the new name tho

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

Anyway I think rebooting megathreads at least yearly should help out bringing in new people to them at least.

how the gently caress will we ever get to 5000 pages then????

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I guess my issue is that the internet is already a hotbed of misogyny, and if we were to allow that word to be used freely it should come with the expectation that mods and IKs have to make judgement calls on where the line is if any

Maybe the line is direct attacks, I dunno.

hey look Shrek, it's my post I posted earlier, just fuckin do it already. If it doesn't work, go back to the old rule, ez pz. You'll have to endure like a week of heavy c word usage but the kids will tire themselves out I promise

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
as for megathreads, the key to overcoming megathread anxiety is to click on whatever page is 3 pages from the last post and start reading there. If you enjoy it you can read the rest of the thread. booya, fixed

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Proposal to rename Seth "Shrek Pecksniff"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Jackass posted:

The point is the absurdity of you being so concerned over the word oval office or retard. It's about context and is the exact same discussion you're already having.

my dude I'm sorry you're BIG mad you can't run around dropping the r-word everywhere like it's 2005 and the Black Eyed Peas are popular but times have changed, society has moved on, and you should too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Infidel Castro posted:

Please stop feeding the troll.

Lol maybe you guys should like, probate him for trolling in a thread that says no trolling then? Hmm

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo about using it personally. The fact people endlessly litigate this dumbass poo poo because theyre scared to death trying to comprehend context or posts is dumb as hell.

The R-word is a slur for disabled people, why should we tolerate immature people who can't stop using it? There's a million other ways to convey the same message but posters are stuck on the fact that we used to throw it around willy nilly when Limp Bizkit was popular

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Back to the "Shrek Pecksniff" petition I entered on to the record earlier today

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

To some extent, yeah. You're talking about requiring more labor from an unpaid, volunteer workforce. Why would I want to further cut into my shitposting time by feeling expected to read every post in every thread to see if the use of slurs is appropriately contextual? Having clear lines makes it much more manageable.

dude make thread regulars who aren't psychos the IK of that thread and it'll cut down on the work drastically. It's not that tough to ID who in the thread doesn't have meltdowns regularly and actually gives a poo poo about keeping the thing alive

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Make Nooner IK of GBS, he'll definitely help out :)

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
tbh an actual word filter on the r-word that replaces the word with an embed to this video would be a solution I'm down for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX-7AnOx22k

that way you don't gotta police poo poo and everyone can listen to that hit song from black eyed peas

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

I find the big threads never leave and I don't want to enter a post with 1k pages. Otherwise the little threads are often worthless boner posts. Why isn't GBS fun anymore? Why am I, a 20 year gbs poster, living in Byob now because they're at least nice?

Also no war thread in gbs

idk man there's lots of pockets of fun in GBS. Unfortunately there's also like Greg of Doom and Grand Wizard Master and all Those Guys. But they are kinda fun because they say super stupid poo poo for us to laugh at

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Saalkin posted:

Auto probe Methanar anytime he posts

Good proposal imo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

Do you like me Y[] N[] Make Sid a Mod and Give Him A Salary [X]

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Make Smugworth and Nooner mods of GBS and make Sid an admin

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

Haha no, no no no

you will get a salary and health insurance tho, geoffrey of yospos said so

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

We probe for it when we see it. There is no oval office alarm that goes off in the GBS mod club house whenever that word is posted. We are all human here and do tend to miss stuff from time to time and when the thread goes on just fine with us occasionally not enforcing rules, I am ok with that.

GBS: The c*nt alarm goes off

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
"The Jib-iss"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

also

Smugworth posted:

Smugworth for GBS moderator

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
AARD VARKMAN randomly made me the IK of the 5000 Page Thread and he eventually left for the greener pastures of posting gross food I guess but that's let that thread be its own thing for a while with no fuss. I almost had to probe BBC once that was about it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
More IKs is the way to go imo, but also make Smugworth a mod

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Gbs is a fun place to post jokes with your friends

Sometimes a random dumb rear end in a top hat shits up the place for a while until they get banned but the process takes like a year.

Wait did Methanar get banned

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

Twice a year lmao

holy poo poo did I miss a new thread

Feedback: Pin Methanar threads for us to get giggles out of, especially the ones where he moves to really expensive cities w/o thinking about it, those are great

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much only post in GBS because I haven't enjoyed posting in any other forums except LAN and that's only because the Michigan thread got moved there lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Suggestion: MegaZord all of Greg's accounts together and send it to SAD to wreak havoc upon that forum so we can discuss important things.

Like renaming Seth to Shrek Pecksniff

And making Smugworth a mod

and making Sid GBS-wide IK

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Mods can you let GBS have a little light file sharing, as a treat? Maybe it'll help attract new posters

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can we, as a forum, take a collective stance that piss IS stored in the balls?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MrQwerty posted:

Buddy, if this isn't your lord and savior, idk what to tell you

🅾️🅱️ is part of the trinity

the piss, the pig balls and the holy 🅾️🅱️

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

XeeD posted:

It really didn't. Also, I don't give half of a gently caress who chinatown was or why they got banned.

That style posting was the loving worst my dude I'm sorry

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Create "The Really Proper Posting Forum for Angry Gen Xers" and we'll call it even

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Should we bring back the slurs alongside the punctuation, since we're super nostalgic for poo poo that sucks

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Change it to 10 push ups

Jeffrey's bodycount is gonna skyrocket

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

why not happen opr whatever that meme was idk

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

XeeD posted:

I only suck dick to prove a point.

THIS! FTW!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
tbh this is one of my fav threads in GBS right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sorry

To be honest, m'fellows, this thread is one of my favorites that's currently active in the General Bullshit subforum of the Something Awful Dot Com Web Forums. It's enjoyable to be able to joke and josh with my pals!