Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Maybe the line is direct attacks

it's this, op. good we clearer that one up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we need to do something about the brigades

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

oval office gets most of the attention, but people complain about "wordfilter" moderation for other words, too. I have not seen anyone mount a defense of using the n-word, or fag, or transphobic words, but oval office and the r-word still have their defenders.

As far as I'm concerned, allowing oval office in the Commonwealth threads is allowing for context. The usage of the word is different in those places, so it is allowed there. In non-explicitly Commonwealth threads it is banned.

The rules about word usage as they currently exist set clear expectations and allow for a more consistent and timely response. Having a clear line in the sand makes it easier for people to report violations, and makes it easier to respond to them. There are so many posts per day, and so many threads, that thinking a mod or IK is going to read every single one, much less within a timely manner, is unreasonable. If the rules on word usage were relaxed or made entirely context-dependent it would mean people would be more likely to test the boundaries, posts would linger longer with no response, and punishment for violations would seem that much more arbitrary depending on which individual mod was evaluating the context of the post.

It's honestly a little tedious having to enforce the wordfilter rules, but at least it is pretty clear and unambiguous. It really doesn't come up all that often, and we can sometimes go days without having to probe for it. While I understand some people are not thrilled by the current set of rules around word usage I don't think there are alternative approaches which would be both practical and effective.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is really not helpful. Should I have included more smilies? Should I swear a little more? What would make it sound less like the dreaded HR voice?

dumping a "your ticket is important to us" paragraph is an example of The Mod Voice. the subsequent posts have been more normal, so congrats on that

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

the mouth-breathers

is this the useful feedback you were after? a coy little synonym for "retard" doesn't trigger any alarm bells but it's still got the same sentiment behind it

the whole "use context" thing involves reading a post, deciding "does this come off as overly aggressive or misogynistic", and probing based off that - you can have misogynistic posts even without saying the no-no word, and if you're saying reading posts is too much effort then i don't really know what to tell you.

i understand the benefit of having a clear line in the sand for rulebreaking but it's just either making more work for yourself if you have to manually apply a filter as well, or it's bad modding if your filter replaces any attempt at understanding. it is the philosophy underneath the modding that people are bothered about, rather than the chance to say "oval office"

alternatively put an actual wordfilter in place to convert it to "gbs poster", and job done