Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
WELCOME TO THE GBS FEEDBACK POST!

It's been a while since we've heard from you, our GBS posting pals. In that vein, we'd like to hear from you about your experiences with the forum. What works? What doesn't? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of if you say Seth I will rain holy fire on your rear end? Do you have a question or curiosity we can answer? If you have something to say or a suggestion, post it!

Couple of notes before we get started:

- The reason we had the c-word rule was because long before any our times (around when Genesplicer was Jesus's high school teacher iirc) a lot of female goons really felt uncomfortable with the overuse of it, which I agree with, and therefore it was fully banned outside the last of the British Empire threads.

- megathreads do exist and they're their own extremely interesting sociological niches. It's fascinating to see the thread culture that's developed over the years. However, we also recognize that there may be a large barrier of entry to a lot of threads. We'd invite your ideas on how to mitigate this issue.

:siren: RULES :siren:

However, we're going to strictly moderate this thread. GBS shitposting is allowed within reason (because we can't keep you from being you), but we're going to be enforcing the rules hard.

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • For this thread only the c-word rule is lifted. However, don't use this as an excuse to just spam it because you can because we're not going to allow it.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it. If you disagree with other posters, do it respectfully and don't insult them (unless it's funny) or tell them their feedback is worthless.
  • There may be regulars from other forums who give feedback. If given in good faith, that feedback will be considered. Just because they're not a "GBS regular" doesn't mean that they may not have some ideas we can incorporate. Conversely, if you're not a regular of this forum and come to poo poo up this thread with non-constructive feedback, that won't be taken lightly.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.

So, GBS, what do you want to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I can only speak for me, but I'm not going to be in total favor of a "use it at any time against anyone" sort of rule. I think there's a middle ground to be had in terms of loosening the rule, but using it against women is going to be a red line for me personally

What's your thoughts on that sort of loosening?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Maybe it's my lifetime spent gasping for breath struggling to keep my head out of the bog in damp rainy Britain but it seems extremely obvious when someone is being abusive to women with their choice of language and easy to be able to ban that behaviour (with or without naughty words) without using a word filter on all uses regardless of intent.

Solefald posted:

I'd be pretty annoyed if some mod dude swooped in to punish someone for calling me "oval office", especially if I didn't make any request for it, that's patronising as heck. If the content of post was an outright attack then sure but yeaahhh no thnx.

As always this comes down to context being an important factor but I've already spoken to you about this a few times so lol

This is a fair criticism, and maybe the outright attack angle is a different beast than just saying it

I guess my issue is that the internet is already a hotbed of misogyny, and if we were to allow that word to be used freely it should come with the expectation that mods and IKs have to make judgement calls on where the line is if any. I don't want to rule lawyers this and say "this is a violation of subsection 23, clause 7". Maybe the line is direct attacks, I dunno. It's why it's helpful to have feedback like this to hear differing perspectives imo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

hey look Shrek, it's my post I posted earlier, just fuckin do it already. If it doesn't work, go back to the old rule, ez pz. You'll have to endure like a week of heavy c word usage but the kids will tire themselves out I promise

Part of why we're looking for feedback too is to update the rules thread so this'll be taken into consideration

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah I don't see that going anywhere good so knock it off please :thanks:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Aight we're done with that line of questioning

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

Back to the "Shrek Pecksniff" petition I entered on to the record earlier today

Actually I've been thinking of changing my name to this no joke

Might as well lean into it right?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I do like 95%+ posting on the app and the mobile version of SA is uhhhhhh let's be generous and say it needs some improvements

Don't think it's very high on astrals list rn, which, understandable!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

This thread seems like a gigantic honeypot for people who want to make a joke about really dumb rules they dont agree with. That being said

im oval office

No honeypot; we do want opinions on this but it doesn't mean we're going to act at this exact moment

Nooner posted:

Maybe the best solution is just to give everyone mod buttons and ability to give a hot 6 to whoever they like

Chaos reigns

Unironically agree tbh

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Solefald posted:

So just to be clear, they're just posting their views rather than outright dismissing people?

I can't speak for them and I won't. I can only speak for myself, and I want people's views on these subjects.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

alternatively put an actual wordfilter in place to convert it to "gbs poster", and job done

I actually like this idea :thunk:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

Oh yeah and I don't know any of the mods and admins anymore and they seem to either disappear when they do something irritating or are unnecessarily aggro in their pet threads or whatever. Saddest Rhino owns though. Mod voice bad, I'm 35 with a mortgage and a wheezy lung, talk to me normal.

If you ain't got a bad back to go with this get off my lawn youngin

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wear a back brace working out and 2 knee braces when I go hiking. I tore a ligament in my shoulder and back while just driving. Getting old sucks.

Oh yeah I forgot about Greg. How many accounts does he have, and what dirt does he have on you Seth for the leniency? Do you need us to go rough him up for you? Does it need to take as long as derpies or snake tits or whatever scum are around

Dude that sucks! Take care of yourself

In my time as mod, Greg has gone through... What six accounts? Something like that.

I don't see him as necessarily a harmful poster, just one that doesn't always toe the line well and gets hit for it. I don't think he's a candidate for a permanent goodbye at all honestly, not in the same nature of those long gone. He's generic white noise shitposter #273 imo

I know we have that rule against gimmick accounts and the like but it's never really been enforced because it's a legacy rule from long ago. That's probably one that'll be purged in the rules redo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nom epique posted:

Serious forums deleted when?

All forums except GBS will be deleted at midnight

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Jose posted:

You should switch out more often too. Gbs is gbs just swap mods often. I know I was guilty of getting lazy

There ain't a brigade of posters trampling down the doors to be mod my friend

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

Having known people who were outed and beaten while being mocked for being "an aids having human being" (I will laugh my rear end off if I get probed for that) it becomes pretty hosed up seeing people using it casually for a loving game or movie. "Oh wow that movie is so aids" cool go hate crime it I guess.

You're not getting probed for that and if you do I'll ask for it to be reversed

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Don't start, either of you

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

nom epique posted:

Seth seriously unlock my thread in SAD what the heck is this?

Op I don't have power in SAD

I only have power OF SAD

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Do you like me Y[xxxxxxxxxx] N[]

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

GBS: The c*nt alarm goes off

Really wish we could make this the forum title

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Byob is weirdly unchill nowadays. I don’t think they’ll mesh with geeebus.

Tarquinn, do you honestly care if someone calls Putin a oval office? Absent any other mods, is it something you’d actually care about probing for ?

Let me echo that. It's my position is if you use it against a guy I don't really care but while we've been trying to enforce it, it's been rather inconsistent

It's been fascinating to see that this is the one thing that's been bugging people. I mean anecdotally I've known that but now we have data to back it up, with some good suggestions on how to modify it. I don't mean this in a "this is a shutdown this talk" comment sort of way mind you; I'm just making a throwaway comment

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's more that it brings an issue of inconsistency and stupid rules to the fore.

As a question, are there other rules that you see inconsistently applied or don't make sense? Like I said earlier, one of the results out of this I personally want to have is a new ruleset so hearing what may/may not work is vital to that effort

We're all human - sometimes we see things and hit it, sometimes we don't see it. That's why the report function is vital - we can't or read every thread that comes up unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Nobody's saying that word filter moderation is causing users to flee the site. I'm focused only on what we can do in GBS to make it a better place to post so let's stay on that

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Bonzo posted:

So I'm free to insult people, as long as its funny, but I can't say oval office. got it.

So what is the real reason for this post? Is it just to ban a word? Why ask for feedback if you've already made a decision? I'm not trying to sass, but 8 pages of goons saying its a bad idea might mean something.

If you want to ban it then say so. Don't be wishy-washy about it and probe people for speaking up

I'm not sure I understand where the probing part is. If you're referring to the above conversation, it was more because I felt it was starting to veer into forums wide stuff and I can't do anything about that, I can only affect GBS

As for the decision, none has been made yet. This has been up for about two full days only and the feedback is being considered. I get that we want immediate results, but I can't unilaterally deem it done because there's other mods too. This is all part of a wider ranging discussion of the rules themselves

I'm gonna be as transparent as possible about the process because y'all deserve no less. We mods haven't gotten together to have a conversation about this yet, seeing how it's the weekend and I presume we have lives (excepting me, obviously). I'd also like to keep this as a permanent feedback thread too, which is another conversation we all should have

But that's a long way of saying no decision has been made and we're not implementing poo poo from on high without considering where y'all are coming from

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I have not!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Ahhh man I’m a professional artist now check it out!!! If you click the picture it’ll take you to my own website!!!

Love it!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Didn't read the thread but is it pronounced Gibis or gee bee ess thanks u

It's spelled GBS but pronounced "Throat Wobbler Mangrove"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

It's a Faustian bargain to become a mod Smugworth

What you gain pales to what you lose

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't give a gently caress if "oval office" is banned, go nuts. I just don't think it makes any sense that collectively every subforum mod has discussed this and agreed it's a bad idea, but things like "retard" are still up in the air I guess?

Call someone or something a "retard"? Probated or banned. Okay, that's honestly fair. Except, you know, go to FYAD where threads have "retard" (directed at a person even!) in the title. The problem isn't whether "oval office" is a ban-worthy word, or if it's actually good, that's not loving important, please just blanket ban it and the whiny shits in the UK/Aus threads can just loving deal. The problem is there seems to be no coordination, rhyme or reason to decisions.

If you literally can't get mods of subforums to agree on simple poo poo like "don't call people a 'oval office' or 'retard'" then what the gently caress is happening? I think someone upthread mentioned the moderation seems to be done like reddit, and it kind of seems like it. Everyone has their own little section where the rules are just different, because ???

Outside of a designation of "more serious"/"shitposting approved" there shouldn't be any rules in conflict with the rest of the site. It's just fucken weird.

Well, again, this isn't about the rest of the site, it's about GBS specifically. I will state that ableist language is going to continue to be off the table in terms of allowance.

What I will say on the topic is that every forum is its own ecosystem, much like a lot of individual threads can be. There's the generalized site wide rules (which terribly need updating) and each forum has its own autonomy to craft rules specific to them, and it's pretty much always been this way. You wouldn't want D&D rules in here, would you? (Not to pick on them but it's the best example of how the rules of another forum definitely wouldn't apply here). FYAD definitely doesn't want GBS rules and I'm not sure CSPAM would accept rules crafted in BYOB. Each forum has its own culture, and I kinda like it like that personally. But this is my garden I tend to so I wanna make sure you beautiful flowers are happy and fed

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Which thread?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ok well this is veering into discussing other forums so let's end this line of discussion please

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Want to pop in and say I see the comments, I just want to be in a space where I have time to give thoughtful responses rather than giving you just whatever poo poo leaks from my brain at that exact moment

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

ok so I'm finally at my computer. I mostly didn't want to type this all on my phone. That would have been a nightmare tbh.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I personally don’t use the word and I understand that it’s used differently elsewhere in the world, but if it’s causing this much stress where every time feedback is requested that’s all anyone can talk about then just loving ban it in GBS because clearly everyone’s opinion on what constitutes proper use and intent is going to differ. If you’re that butthurt about not being able to use a single word then I don’t know what to tell you about how to navigate life in general. If it is that important to you to be able to say it just go to FYAD or IZ and go hog wild.

I mean, I guess we could outright ban it, but it'll still have the same issue we had before where everyone's going to litigate why they should be able to use it and not anyone else. I'd like to take a charitable approach and think that not everyone who's advocating this has a burning desire to say the word whenever they want, otherwise yes there are definitely other forums you could go in and say that. Proceed at your own risk, though :ese:

syntaxfunction posted:

Literally just agreeing on what slurs are inappropriate, site-wide, is something that should not be outside the realm of possibility. Extrapolating to "we need the same rules absolutely everywhere always" is not what I meant, nor is it a sensible thing to do?

"Getting all the forums to agree on what slurs or horrific types of posts are inappropriate" is not realistic I guess? If calling someone a "oval office" or "retard" is something that is probate-worthy then cool, that's fine, but it's loving weird that it's okay some places. Also only some of them some places, because people just want that.

Do you see how weird it is to have rules like "Don't use the word 'oval office' unless in two specific threads" or "don't call someone a 'retard', unless you're posting in FYAD" or "'human being' is bannable, unless you're posting in Ask/Tell" or whatever the gently caress?

I'm not asking AI or GWS to have identical rules to GBS, but goddamn this is like bare minimum and it sounds like "woah, we can't agree on what slurs or posts are universally bad" is pretty... bad?

Ok I see where you're coming from on this, and sorry I didn't understand it earlier.

I get what you mean now. The forums have definitely evolved over the years. When I first joined the f-slur was thrown around like it was confetti in a parade, r-word was pretty commonplace and the n-word was still bannable outside FYAD (thankfully). But we've all grown older, wiser and probably a bit more misanthropic tbh. Well, most of us. I would honestly encourage you to post this in SAD (yes I know, it seems like a copout) because it's probably a debate worth having with the forums at large. There's still a really large contingent of people who just must be able to post certain words. I don't understand it. I would hope they're not that way irl but who knows. :shrug:

I think it comes down to the individual forum ecosystems and what's acceptable there. Most of those words aren't acceptable outside FYAD and the lites, but also them getting hit is rather inconsistent as well I've found. I wish I could provide a more satisfying solution at this moment.

syntaxfunction posted:

Okay well, then in GBS we should be able to use any slur or hateful remark or sentiment that gets a pass anywhere else on the site. This is the general forum so it should be a general melting pot of ideas (maybe even a marketplace of free ideas) so we shouldn't disallow anything that makes people from other places feel weird.

Honestly, my question is what exactly did y'all hope to achieve from this thread? Everything that has been brought up has been kind of ignored or just sort of dismissed. You're asking for feedback, but like, on what? The only things mentioned in the OP were "discussions of the c-word" (so please don't act surprised folks brought that up) and megathreads (which is a thing that usually gets discussed internally in megathreads about times to reboot it etc).

What about GBS specifically? It's a small slice of a larger forum. GBS is just a general posting place and basically the only thing you could do that is special is turn up or down the reatio on the "serious/shitpost" dial. That and entertaining grudges against specific posters.

GBS is just a subforum. Every time there's been big issues with subforum moderation people straight up make threads to call out mods and then there's probations, arguments and (usually) resolution.

So, what were you, the mods, hoping to hear about here?

I won't speak for other mods, but what I want to achieve from this thread is:

1) Hearing from the userbase about what works and what doesn't
2) trying to come down from "on high" and have a real conversation with users
3) updating the rules after hearing feedback

I want to also mention I haven't ignored or dismissed anything. I'm stating from my view why certain things work and certain things may not work. When I say things like "This may be more of a SAD issue" or "Let's not get into forums flamewars" and the like, it's more because either I cannot provide a satisfying resolution, or because I want to keep this thread nominally on track.

In terms of this:

quote:

Okay well, then in GBS we should be able to use any slur or hateful remark or sentiment that gets a pass anywhere else on the site. This is the general forum so it should be a general melting pot of ideas (maybe even a marketplace of free ideas) so we shouldn't disallow anything that makes people from other places feel weird.

From my understanding, Jeff sees GBS as the forum's "front page" (he's free to come in and correct me if I'm wrong here). New users will most likely come here to see what SA is about before going off and exploring the rest of the forums. I'll say if I was a new user and saw the threads crawling with slurs and stuff, I'd run off the site and never come back. I'd prefer that not to happen, even if our newer users are mostly Unoriginal Name and Chairmaster reregs.

BigBadSteve posted:

Make Sid the official GBS artist!!!!!

Actually Spinz makes quite amazing art, a lot of it made just for GBS, and has had some extremely popular threads here based on it, over the last few years. Well, she made threads until she kept getting frequently banned, for nothing more IMO than writing about her own life, including some funny anecdotes relating to her past sex life.

A small number of considered suggestions:

No correspondence will be entered into etc. as I have a life.

I love you all (well, most of you, and thoughts & prayers for the others).

So I'll take these one at a time:

quote:

[*]Get some guidelines in place so the above sort of mod/op/idiot king/whatever harassment of female posters ceases. Spinz was not 'tugging' in her posts, and believe me, as a chronic tugger I can tell the difference. As has been pointed out by multiple male goons over the last few months, it seemed to be purely sexist, i.e. male goons can mention funny memories from their sex lives, women goons can't, or they get harshly punished, probated so often, and escalatingly so, that they basically give up on posting in GBS at all (this is where Spinz has been for about the last ~2-3 months).

I don't know what the deal is with that, and the admin that implemented that rule has stepped down.

I want this to be a safe place for anyone to post. No one came to me about Spinz, so I really have no clue where this all came from. If she wants to reach out to me privately I'm happy to talk with her about this issue, but I'm not sure I necessarily want to litigate that in public at the moment.

In terms of female goons posting here, I know there's a trope that "GBS hates women" and I'd really like to kill that. The majority of people on this site are male, and (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) I think sometimes women may feel they have to hide themselves or somehow try to fit in with the boys by downplaying themselves. I'll say if you have worries that a goon is being harassed by a mod/ik/whoever, reach out via PM to an admin. We have two new ones, and a third on the way. I can vouch that they're standup people who will listen and take your concerns into account.

quote:

[*]If anyone posts here whose name is unknown in GBS, one can assume they probably aren't a GBS poster. And there's a good chance they're an alt of an account from the troll forum we don't talk about and I won't name here because we "don't want to start anything". They destroyed QCS too, to the extent that almost every new thread there has to be almost immediately locked, that has been the case for months. So complaining about them there achieves nothing but further harassment. And, not coincidentally IMO, they hate Spinz and have done for years. Anyway, IMO people who don't post in GBS (ignoring occasional snarky abuse, trolling and "hahaha our forum is better than yours"-type posts) should have no say in policy changes. None whatever. Some of them are our literal enemies and want nothing good for GBS, as even a small study of their posts elsewhere soon shows (of course being lying amoral trolls their b*tchy alts here will claim otherwise til they're blue in the face). FFS don't let those with primarily ill-will for GBS be influential in any changes to it. And no, putting our heads in the sand doesn't solve the problem, that would be asking for it.

I take issue with this one. Anyone is free to post here in any thread, and I'm not going to be pulling profile histories of people if they're just posting. We have a CSPAM mod posting here, we have admins posting here, we have people from all across the forums who come here to shitpost. Hell, Larry Parrish posted in r/relationships and he was never a problem there.

Are there people who post here to rile others up? Yes, but it also takes two to tango. For example, there was a poster a while back who was trying to rile up a certain thread. Absolutely no one bit and they wandered off because it wasn't achieving their desired results. Not engaging actually works a lot of the time.

Also, I think part of the issue here is saying "some of them are our literal enemies." This is a web 1.0 forum where we shitpost with people from across the world. We have a much better community than Reddit, and it's more tight knit. But at the end of the day, you will most likely never meet these people. When you log off or go do real life stuff, you should not be thinking about these forums. You certainly should not be of the mindset that you have posting enemies, because we're all shitposters on this site, every last one of us. It's the thread that binds us all, from the very top to the very bottom. You can debate what the "heart of the poster" is, but you can't deny we each all have it.

I'm not saying you have to like everyone on this forum. God knows I don't, but I don't see them as my enemies. I roll my eyes when they pop up and get on with my day. I would recommend you do the same. Though I gotta admit, love the passion in this part.

quote:

[*]Other than the above, and the odd rare other change no doubt posted by others here, ffs leave GBS alone. About all who post here regularly (with the caveats above), love GBS. It is a miraculous treasure, it's amazing it can exist at all. IMO it is fragile. Some have tried to end it completely, with some success occasionally, witness e.g. the so-called 'archived' old GBS' subforum. Let's celebrate what we have and make it a bit better, not f*ck with it til it breaks or all the good posters leave.

I love the passion you have with this, and I'll speak for all of us to say we're not looking to change the culture here. We're just looking to make it better.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I kinda don’t see how we discuss any major issues within GBS without talking about the forums at large, especially considering that most of the recent drama bombs were caused by non-GBS posters making a stink about GBS because they travel around looking for things to complain about.

I think there's a fine line, because you can't always say "It's those CSPAM people" or "it's IZ" or whatever. Sometimes people just like to post to rile others up, but I will say that the mods of those forums don't take kindly to their members trying to harass other forums. I'm in constant contact with CSPAM mods and let them know if I'm doing something that might affect them, their posters or their forum. I have no desire to change their culture. If they want to complain about GBS, let them. We're stronger than that, and I think the new SAD forum and the addition of new admins may actually decrease the problems we've been having over the past few months. Time will tell, but I'm hopeful.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

a whole bunch of iks is a good low risk way to take the pressure off mods who say reading a lot of posts is a lot of work (a somewhat justifiable excuse, gbs is very active compared to other non politics subs) and can make context reading and warning more viable instead of button press word filter style moderation

i think it's a forums wide initiative to have always open feedback threads in major subs. it's a good idea imo to have ongoing community feedback. it's not just about oval office and mega threads lol.

suggestion: more iks, rotated regularly, maybe selected by lot like in fyad or whatever. mods should be rotated regularly as well but i understand that the logistics of selecting mods for gbs isn't as simple as many smaller subs. still, maybe 1 year max or something would reduce burnout and keep the mods representative of the community

a pile of iks from across gbs can be selected by lot every 3 months or something

Gonna group these together. I agree that we should probably rotate IKs, and we should look at adding some more IKs forum-wide as it'll help with traffic and such. I'd especially like IKs of the bigger threads that none of us really wander into, as I don't personally like Kramering into threads and being "HEY Y'ALL KNOCK IT OFF" (see: my post in the RLM thread).

In terms of mods, selecting mods is an arduous process. If we had the numbers, we could probably do a one year max rotation of them. As an example, let me tell you how the process works:

1) Someone says "Hey, this forum needs new mods" or "we could use a new mod here"
2) The forum mods begin posting or soliciting ideas of who would be good for it
3) Mod candidates are selected
4) Admins do whatever they do, presumably to make sure they're not a permabanned rereg or psychotic or whatever
5) After the admins are done, the current mods reach out to the prospect
6) The prospect declines for any number of reasons

I mean, on #6 I'm being a bit facetious, but the decline vs. acceptance rate is kind of like my K:D ratio in TF2: it's baaaaaaaad. That's why it's a bit easier to have IKs: there's very little pressure being one. You just kinda do your thing, detached from the backend. But burnout is very real I'll admit. It's why I disappeared for like a month; I sort of had to.

syntaxfunction posted:

I also want to say that I know I might seem like I'm hating on the mod team and being harsh but I actually really like GBS, and I appreciate the work y'all do. It's difficult to moderate a bunch of poo poo-flinging spider monkeys, and you do good work.

If you want something tangible that isn't related to what I have said, please lock down and probe wildly any time there's a thread with any remotely controversial topic where suddenly a hundred people no one has seen post start posting their "ironic hot takes" which are just some sort of -ism under the guise of "heh shitposting".

Shitposting is an art. Posting racist or homophobic or whatever poo poo but going "but I'm not serious" ain't it. Look at the Harry Potter game thread for a good example tbh.

Nah I don't think you're hating, you're expressing your opinion and I appreciate it :) Trust me, I can tell the difference between mod hate and frustration. It's fairly obvious

I understand the idea in your second sentence, and it's something that I have to find a balance for. The issue is where is the line? What makes a shitpost vs. a post intended to rile people up, and where's the line to that? It's something I struggle with. I get the impulse to be like "They don't post here normally, they're just trying to rile people up!", but I have to make that judgement call when I see the reports come in. Am I right all the time? Hell no I'm not; I've definitely done bad shoots. But "shoot them first and let God sort them out" doesn't necessarily work in this instance. Then you're thinking "does everyone get 6 hours? 18? a day? what separates this post from the one above it?" It's sort of the calls I make when I get reports.

Saalkin posted:

What you don't post like that all the time?

I subscribe to the :justpost: mentality, which has gotten me in hot water before but I will never stop

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Gbs is a fun place to post jokes with your friends

Sometimes a random dumb rear end in a top hat shits up the place for a while until they get banned but the process takes like a year.

I try only to use bans in extreme instances. I have to be mindful of the fact that this isn't Reddit; people pay actual money to post here. Most of the time probations are far more effective than bans, so I try to use those whenever possible. But if someone's going over the line, it's :banhammer:

Bad Purchase posted:

mods should be forced to say one nice thing about any poster they probe

You have no idea how badly I want to probe you with a compliment. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Pretty sure this is the longest post I've ever made on SA, and I'm sure it'll be picked apart for clues or whatever or I may have said something dumb that I'll have to backtrack on. But like I said, want to be as honest and transparent with y'all as possible, and I hope this gives you insight into where I'm at

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

To keep with the thread rules and bring it around to how it relates to GBS, there’s a thread in there right now about the new admins for feedback on them. If 75% of active users (disclaimer: I do not know what the actual stat is) the site don’t even go into SAD, then you’re allowing the regulars to effectively select admins that favor them. That applies to current mods and IKs as well because it’s always a one sided argument in there. There really needs to be strong moderation to deliver actual punishment when dissenting opinions are replied to with harassment and doxxing attempts so that SAD eventually feels like a safe enough place for actual discussion.

This is a very good point. I'm wondering if we should do an announcement or something for those types of posts, to try to draw in a larger audience

I'll bring this up with the admins and see what their thoughts are

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

that poo poo loving sucked

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Also you'd get probed/banned for empty quoting which is dumb as hell

Again, I've seen the comments, will address them when I get home tonight

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

drat you all post a lot when I'm gone. Since a lot of this is conversation, I'm only going to respond to salient points of feedback.

aside from the post above yours, all the SAD posts are commentary on GBS interacting with SAD on rules and policy, and how they feel they can't post in SAD (which some mods have told posters to do). i think it's on topic, as long as it doesn't turn into a crying fest on SAD and brigading or w/e dumb poo poo

Tarquinn's right, but the rest of the thread feels like it started to turn into a general SAD commentary. If you want to talk about SAD and GBS, do it. If you want to talk about SAD in general, I would post a thread there or take it up with an admin. There's nothing we can do here about it.

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm a fan of monthly (or up to) quarterly feedback threads myself. I think it's important to be able to address subforum issues in a timely manner, and I also appreciate the opportunity to give out and take in feedback about the mods and our performance.

That's my feedback about feedback threads.

Thanks KC! I'm debating whether to have this a rolling thread or quarterly. At the moment it doesn't seem too bad as a rolling thread, but time will tell.

Piss Creep posted:

I'd like to be able to block threads the same way we can block users

I hate seeing that dogshit Ukraine thread.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would also like to be able to ignore threads. Some might bother me or hit too close to home, some I might just be tired of seeing on the first page of any particular subforum at any time. Something you could skim through in the options to unhide or reset the blocked threads filter if you wanted it all to come back?

It's an interesting request. I'd post it in the tech forum; this is astral's domain and he'd know much more than I do about the feasibility of whether this could even be implemented. If you're worried about it, the tech forum is way different than SAD and tends to be chill (the Massacre at IZ Flags not withstanding)

Bad Purchase posted:

mods should stop soliciting feedback here or in SAD and just do the best they can with their own judgement

either you’re good at the job or you’re not, there’s no upside to listening to the deranged who spend their free time theorycrafting new reasons to ban people and a lot of downside

thank you for considering this important feedback, oh and please ban anyone who is not enthusiastic toward olives

I know you're being facetious but I'll take it in good faith and disagree with this. I think it's important to listen to users. I know one complaint has been that we come from on high and act holier than thou, which I hope isn't the impression we give off here in GBS. I shitpost as bad as the rest of you, or worse most times

Also the olives request is good feedback we'll implement that in the rules

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Can we discourage people from posting "Sorry for the snipe"? Don't really need probes, but I think we've figured out that every post that's divisible by 40 + 1 is a new page, and no one cares.

Sniping is a proud tradition here in GBS and it stays. Back long ago, during the Dark Era of Proper Punctuation, it was illegal. It was not fun and didn't foster a good sense of community. Plus it's kinda fun to see if you're able to snipe without posting seven times like Nooner did after you

bagmonkey posted:

Mods can you let GBS have a little light file sharing, as a treat? Maybe it'll help attract new posters

You're free to post files that are public, such as freeware or abandonware, or ones that are licensed under Creative Commons. Just no ones under copyright or anything that'll sic lawyers on Jeff because I'm not sure he'd be happy about that and then he wouldn't be happy with me and it'd be a whole thing

bagmonkey posted:

Can we, as a forum, take a collective stance that piss IS stored in the balls?

I take no sides in this debate, as whatever side I come down on people will flock to (or against). This is for the forum to decide. VOX POPULI VOX DEI

bagmonkey posted:

Create "The Really Proper Posting Forum for Angry Gen Xers" and we'll call it even

There's a forum for RSF suggestions! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026662 You could post that suggestion there and maybe they'll take it up :)

Smugworth posted:

Just wanna make sure you've seen these comments.
The people are crying for representation Seth, let's form a new future for GBS!

I have seen them, and there's now a thread for you in the mod forum (it is not the thread you think)!!!

i think we need less moderation but more iks. precision guided munitions instead of carpet bombing

More IKs should be on the docket, I agree. That's something we'll take back from this and we'll start looking at suitable IK candidates.

MrQwerty posted:

2023 GBS is pretty fuckin tame compared to 1999 GBS, the idea that GBS needs more moderation, especially mods from other forums (specifically forums that don't like GBS) is just loving outrageous.

BUT PEOPLE IN THE UKRAINE THREAD POSTED THAT THEY GOT BONERS OVER GORE when dude posted he had a boner over a story about a Eurofighter overflying an airshow, straight up goon telephone to the max, and it's really not ok.

I don't post in FYAD and have no intent to, but I'm understanding what FYAD went through when it got closed down now, just 10-20 people shouting real loud about poo poo that wasn't real.

The feedback that I'm getting is that GBS moderation is pretty okay all things considered, we just need some tweaks here and there.

I think what we need to do is not get worked up over the people in SAD calling for GBS people's heads. I'm dealing with a lot of it in the background, as much as I can. I get people's sentiments but it's starting to dominate this thread.

You are the weakest link, goodbye!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sorry I’ve been away for a few hours but I probably wasn’t clear. It’s all SAD. The reason all of the feedback threads end up talking about SAD is that SAD is the problem. GBS polices itself pretty well I think but for whatever reason people from other sub forums are enraged at GBS’s existence.

People have been enraged at GBS's existence since the dawn of the forums. The great GBS-FYAD wars of years ago still resonate today. While we're in an uneasy truce now, it's still a truce, and there's still peace. But there will always be breakaway factions that don't like the peace and want to hate on GBS. Let them. The fact is they want to be in the peanut gallery while you all are posting in the trenches.

XeeD posted:

The forums used to be better, we had properly spelled shitposting. What could get you banned now could get you banned even then. But yes, I am absolutely nostalgic for making you worthless fuckwads punctuate.

we will never punctuate again

feel free to do so yourself but this will never be a rule. That era is dead; let the corpse rest in peace

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I'm struggling with how to say this, but this is getting very close to brigading SAD, which is the same sort of complaint you've all had about them. I'm going to warn you not to do that. If you have a legitimate gripe, then post it while following the rules. I don't care to hear the whole "well they don't follow it why should we" poo poo

This thread is getting way off track and I'm going to stop warning here soon on it. Knock it off.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The House

Seth leaned back in his computer chair as he let out another sigh. He’d been doing that a lot lately, he thought. Best not let the other mods catch him doing that, it’d be bad for morale and even worse for his reputation. Seth’s melancholy had increased since his boss had forced the whole moderation team into living and working together, it would be the era of Hardcore Modding.

“We’ll call it Mod House,” Jeffrey of YOSPOS had proclaimed. “Or Moody Hoes, as I like to call it because I loving hate all of you.”

Seth forced his mind back to the present so he wouldn’t be miserable. This was supposed to be the best part of the day, when Captain Sarcastic would be out of the drat house running errands and Infidel Castro was still sleeping off his night shift. Seth still couldn’t believe he’d gotten stuck with sharing the same room with these two. Still, it was better than splitting a room with Genesplicer.

“Good morning, Seth” cried an energetic voice from the open entryway, now doorless since the last time Jeffrey had visited Mod House.

Oh god, thought Seth. Why the gently caress is he back so soon.

“Mornin’ Captain,” Seth replied.

“Picked up our meal allotment of Quaker Oats and nonfat Milk at the store,” said Captain. “So did you take care of the thing?”

Seth had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but figured that the less time spent talking to Captain, the better, so he simply grunted in response. Seth had been in the middle of typing some long reply in the GBS feedback thread which obviously no one would read, but he knew he had to do just enough so he wouldn’t rank in the bottom 20% of moderators. The whole house would do a quarterly review at the local Denny’s, and the bottom performers had to pay for everyone else while not getting any food for themselves. Jeffrey would often refer to mods “earning their Denny’s” when they performed their duties well.

The sound of an alarm pierced the air and Infidel Castro’s chunky hand waved in the air, struggling to find the off button on his clock. Seth paused, wondering why Infidel would be waking up right now after only two hours of sleep.
“So did you take care of the thing?” Infidel mumbled at Seth.

“Of course he didn’t, Seth wants to get torn a new one. Never knew how much a masochist he was before Mod House,” said Captain in reply, and gave a small chuckle. His face quickly turned serious as he turned to Seth.

“But…you did right? Do the thing?”

Seth was now in full panic mode. What the hell could these two morons know about that I don’t, he asked himself. He quickly opened his email. Nothing unread in the inbox.

Oh no. Seth cringed as he scrolled the browser window down. New message in the Spam folder today. Seth had previously set all incoming emails from Wintertime to be marked as Spam. They were always the same anyway. Dear Moderator Pecksniff, Mr. YOSPOS has expressed how deeply disappointed he has been in GBS lately and blah blah blah. Seth quickly brought up the email from the administrative assistant.

“Oh poo poo, oh gently caress”, cried Seth in despair. “Why… why didn’t you guys tell me! Wait, I can… I can still fix this.”

The faces of his roommate-coworkers slow motion fell in absolute terror as Seth began to bring up the moderation tools in his Microsoft Edge browser. The cursor on screen shivered like a chihuahua, reflecting Seth’s right hand on his mouse as he struggled to find the correct forum thread. “It's okay, there’s still time. I’m gonna do it guys, don’t worry, I can earn my Denny’s.”

The hope of the three evaporated as they heard the familiar roar of a certain Hummer X3 peel into the driveway. The front door of Mod House flew open with a resounding crash, the sound of the highest quality imported Crocs slapping on the wood floor approached the GBS mod room. As usual, they could smell him before laying eyes upon the abhorrent Jeffrey of YOSPOS. A pungent mix of the sea and ranch flavored Corn Nuts filled the dusty air of Mod House. The website owner’s tremendous frame then filled the entryway.

“Hello, moderators.” Jeffrey’s nasally voice stabbed their ears. “Good to see you Seth, I have a special gift just for you.”

He revealed a plastic wrapped Goldbelly cookie and shoved it onto Seth’s chest.

“Go on,” said Jeffrey. “Eat it.”

The wrapping made crinkly noises as Seth began to unpack the cookie.

“No” said Jeffrey of YOSPOS with a shake of his head. “I said, eat it.”

Seth slowly used his teeth to tear into both the plastic wrapping and the cookie, managing to get in a whole bite without choking. He had to admit, it was still better than eating the same old oats at Mod House every day.

Jeffrey pulled Infidel’s desk chair towards himself and sat down, crossing his legs. “I was having the nicest time in Malta just before now,” said the website owner. “They have these delicious sea turtles, the ones with the soft shells so you can just pluck them right out of the ocean from your yacht and take a bite.” Jeffrey continued, turning to Captain. “Tortugas, I think they call them, right Captain?”

Captain Sarcastic had no loving idea but enthusiastically nodded his head anyway. “Sure,” he said. “I can double check the internet right now, we’ll all find out together!”

Captain turned to his workstation and switched on the monitor.

“Is that what I think it is?” said Jeffrey, now staring at the website showing on Captain’s monitor. “Did you just show me the forums?” His voice now raised with fury. “You all know I hate looking at the loving forums.”

Jeffrey quickly stood and picked up Captain with both hands and rammed him headfirst into the now shattered monitor. The other two moderators swiftly clicked the minimize button on their browsers while Jeffrey was distracted.

“Now then,” Jeffrey continued, once again having a seat. “You can see why I might be annoyed at having to come to Mod House when I was having such a good time eating tortugas overseas. But there is a certain matter that needs to be cleared up, and apparently an email was not enough to do so.”

Seth’s stomach began to feel seriously ill and he was fairly sure it wasn’t from seeing Captain’s bloodied form lying on the floor.

“It’s this epic nom name, or whatever, poster. Wintertime tells me he is an embarrassment to the forums as a whole. He needs to be banned. Hell, I’m told that I should be personally embarrassed that he still gets to post at all. Estamos embarazados, right Infidel?”

Infidel Castro was definitely sure that was not correct, but no way was he going to say anything to his boss.

“And now, Astral tells me you’ve been exchanging friendly private messages with this poster?” Jeffrey glared at Seth. “I gave you another chance after your cringe QCS anime post and this is how you repay me?”

Seth’s vision was extremely blurred, he could barely make out anything in the room. “I…I can explain Mr. YOSPOS. I’ve been busy, see? I’ve got 5 Jeffrey Dahmer alts queued up for permas. Nom Epique was next on my to-do list I swear.” Seth slurred and in his confusion brought up his Edge browser to show Jeffrey.

“The FORUMS!” roared the owner of Something Awful.

Infidel Castro instantly pissed himself and fled the room. The surroundings began to spin for Seth Pecksniff and he collapsed hard onto the floor, the poisoned half eaten Goldbelly cookie rolling away from his left hand. He looked up and saw Jeffrey staring back at him, a single tear falling from the admin’s eye.

“You were supposed to be the next Huge Gross Burrito,” said Jeffrey of YOSPOS with a sad grin. “Not another Abe.”

Seth’s eyes spasmed and rolled towards the hallway. He thought he saw something nice out there waiting for him, something shining, extravagant and beautiful.

“My…moons,” uttered Seth Pecksniff with his last breath, hand outstretched towards the hall. “Moons… over my hammy…”

Epilogue:
Newly appointed GBS mod Smugworth was tired of how all the other mods mocked him about the disgusting state of his room. Fine, he thought. I’ll clean up just this once.

Smugworth leaned down and saw what apparently was the remains of an expensive artisanal cookie. Huh, he thought with a hungry smile. Sometimes things just work out.

Oh my god

If nothing else comes out of this thread this did and holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Idk it was the first thing that came to mind I ❤️ you sid and I'm just joshing