Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Seems to be an error where the 77k hasn’t been deposited directly into my bank account? Bueller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

happy anniversary! thank you all for being so loving amazing, organizers and donors alike

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Heck yeah 1 year! Very good job RQC.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

some_admin posted:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

some_admin posted:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I apologize for making another post like this but I've had my phone die and a few other things break over the last couple weeks. I've applied for what I can from the fund but if anyone can help please pm me.

a couple of people have been awesome before so thanks to them :toot:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

As an update, we are down to a little over $400 and have $375 in pending requests. As we approach month end - I do want people requesting to know we absolutely cannot promise we will have the funds to fulfill your requests in a timely manner. That doesn't mean you can't request, but if you send us an urgent or even semiurgent request - there's a decent chance you have to wait some time before funds can build up or have to be OK with partial fulfillments.

I have had some donors reach out to cancel or pause recurring donations - so this isn't likely a short term issue we are facing. It's a sign of the times, unfortunately. We will do what we can with what funds we do have.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

I just want to thank the people who run this fund. The past year and a half I came close to repeatedly losing everything and being homeless and on several occasions you guys are what kept enough food in the fridge.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I hope 2024 is treating you better, friend. :shobon:

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Had a surprise layoff right before Christmas so that was not ideal, money from the fund helped me pay bills when my credit was maxed out and things were at the breaking point.

Back to work and things are getting back to normal, was able to make the first contribution to pay it forward and hoping to keep it going for as long as possible.

Thanks to everyone who organized this and those who donated!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hello everyone,

We had a request that had a deadline of yesterday that we need some additional information to complete. We reached out to the requestor through the contact info they provided, but haven't yet heard back from them so I thought I'd mention it here, too. If this sounds like you, you can either PM me, or email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com.

Thanks

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
how’s the fund going? seems quiet? is that a result of goons doing good or the fund being short?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A mix of the fund chugging along and me working 11 hour days.

I can give more details next week after I have financials done and our quarterly director meeting completed. We got a couple large donations from people that have given us a small float. April hasn't been out of our normal request ranges, but we have been slowly moving backwards so the large amounts donated have helped us, at least, continue to give aid to the same amount of goons without having to decline due to lack of funds.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MARCH 2024 FINANCIALS UPDATE

So a bit late on this, I apologize. April has been incredibly busy for me, and then I came down with a stomach bug over the weekend which delayed me even more. The short of it is that March was super dire for nearly the whole thing - and then we managed to get a bunch of funds dropped in the final week. So even though we were cash poor as of 3/31 - we went into April with enough funds that we have been good for the month. April has been a bit reduced in request volume, so we may be down to a stasis for now. Though we will see how it goes.

The committee did meet last Tuesday, 4/16, to discuss the previous quarter and any immediate business. The minutes for that meeting can be found here, if you don't want to read my summary from below.

• Speng has renovated the website. There's now an actual website and not something you click on google and worry about scanning for viruses.
  • We have filed our Form 990 with the IRS. The IRS has accepted the return.
  • As part of the filing, we discovered the need to be able to easily render data for the IRS in terms of funds spent on services. 2023 was estimations, thankfully, 2024 will have 11 of its months be hard data.
  • Another part of the filing was discovering the disqualified persons detail. This includes funds given by the directors (speng, KCW, and I) and also... people who donate more than $5K to the fund. We believe the $5K figure is annually, but the research I would have like to have done on it was spent in bed recovering. So I do not have more details for you, except that this threshold is SUPER IMPORTANT for us maintaining our public charity status as opposed to a private foundation. There are 3-4 donors that I am worried about spending $5K or more on the fund this year - so if you are one of them please get in touch with me. I will be getting with yall when I am hopefully not chained to one of a bed, a toilet, my work desk.
  • Current financial situation is decent. We have about $1500 in cash on hand, though our big monthly donations have already gone through and the end of the month approaches.
  • We did have a vote to lower our $125 threshold if the situation needs it. Doc and I wanted to do some research to figure out a sweet spot to keep the fund solvent without harming requestors too much, AND managing to keep our public charity status. Current guestimate is $110 - $115 as the new limit, but as of right now it is still $125
  • We do want to make sure people know that Paypal is actually quite viable for us to receive donations and send money to people. We recently got a large chunk through Paypal and was able to convert it to liquid cash within a business day. Very very useful. And thanks to the new charity designation on Paypal - we are only charged about 2% of what you donate.
  • Someone pointed out to me that the OPs of both threads are not fully up to date, and we need to go through and scrub it to clean it up and make sure there's nothing out of date.

Overall, a productive quarter for us. I hope to have more information for people on the $5K disqualification in the near future. If there's anything I would like some major feedback on, is that of our categories - other is currently about 15% of all requests. I really don't like this and would like to hear from people as to what other categories we can put in place to help people feel comfortable selecting. I'm not asking because I'm being nosy - I am asking to make it easier when filing our tax forms with the IRS. If requestors would prefer to email/PM a committee member their feedback instead of posting in the thread - they are more than welcome.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
goon fund kept me fed and with transportation a week or so back when an emergency cropped up. thank yall and goon bless

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I think you're mixing two different things - disqualified persons are just people you can't give money (or business) to, to avoid self-dealing. That doesn't affect status as a public charity - to maintain that there is just some math you have to do to see how much of the money is coming from a few people versus a bunch, and depending on the ratios you're either satisfied (over 1/3 from randos IIRC) or need to also justify it as charity subjectively (if you're at 1/10 from randos).

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
stripe fees appear to be high, are you using the non profit rates at stripe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I think you're mixing two different things - disqualified persons are just people you can't give money (or business) to, to avoid self-dealing. That doesn't affect status as a public charity - to maintain that there is just some math you have to do to see how much of the money is coming from a few people versus a bunch, and depending on the ratios you're either satisfied (over 1/3 from randos IIRC) or need to also justify it as charity subjectively (if you're at 1/10 from randos).

It's this. You should still keep track of disqualified persons in the (probably unlikely) case that they were to solicit the Goon Fund for funds down the road or that they start to constitute too high a fraction of the charity's contributions, but they aren't prohibited from giving more money. The charity is just (essentially) prohibited from giving money to them.