Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thank you for all your hard work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Just want to highlight again since RQC is defacto fundraising chair in addition to everything else, the fund really needs money so if you're in a position where you think you can help, now is the time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Dropped a few ducats, thanks again for running this thing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

6 more requests today!!! We are uh getting hit a bit I'd say

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hell yeah well done

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Goonfund literally saved me and my mom's rear end from the cold earlier this week after 2 days roughing it without a car even (god bless goons again). Still desperately trying to cover a few more nights especially since temps are dropping on Sunday. I know rules say no links etc in here so I won't be linking I'm really just rear end out and desperate so if any can help, I do have PMs and it'd be greatly appreciated! Sorry again to post like this, very much last resort and desperate.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

With the current funds of $332.89, we can currently answer the outstanding requests, but not until 1/31. Any requests made after right now will have to wait until the outstanding requests are able to be fulfilled. If you have an urgent need - WE CANNOT FULFILL IT AT THIS TIME. If you have a request that may need funds in the future - you can submit it but there are no guarantees we will be able to help by your deadline. Please take this into consideration for your own sake.

edit: Update - funds are much more secured now! Thanks to recent donors including the several people who have dropped hundreds and even thousands on the fund!!

really queer Christmas has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jan 28, 2024

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Apparently I posted incoherently in the GBs thread last night.

I found out my son spent 2 grand on some stupid iOS game this month and as a result - I am really short for grocery shopping until I get paid on Friday.

if anyone is willing to part with $2-300 today I’ll refund you on Friday.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

really queer Christmas posted:

With the current funds of $332.89, we can currently answer the outstanding requests, but not until 1/31. Any requests made after right now will have to wait until the outstanding requests are able to be fulfilled. If you have an urgent need - WE CANNOT FULFILL IT AT THIS TIME. If you have a request that may need funds in the future - you can submit it but there are no guarantees we will be able to help by your deadline. Please take this into consideration for your own sake.

I didn't get a chance to do my usual year-end charity donations, my father-in-law was dying and I was focused on family stuff. Just emptied my venmo balance and sent a second donation to help you help some goons.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Pillowpants posted:

Apparently I posted incoherently in the GBs thread last night.

I found out my son spent 2 grand on some stupid iOS game this month and as a result - I am really short for grocery shopping until I get paid on Friday.

if anyone is willing to part with $2-300 today I’ll refund you on Friday.

You can request a chargeback through either Apple or your credit card company because it was an unauthorized transaction. Your son will likely be banned from the game, but that's on him.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

the good news is that between the fund and other goons helping out, I was able to get a bunch of my stuff replaced this week

I still need help with getting a few more things and maybe some food so if anyone can help please let me know. thanks to everyone for everything so far :unsmith:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I am happy to report receipts have gone out to a good many donors! I did not send out receipts to anyone who did not donate $100 or more. I have a couple of venmo people I still need to send messages to. If you were a donor last year and made over $100 in contributions and did not get an email - first off, check your spam since it likely got thrown down there (thats where it was for me). Secondly, get in contact with me and I'll check to make sure we have the right contact email and get it to you if that was the issue. Finally, I did what I could for venmo and cashapp people - if you need a receipt and have not gotten one, get with me and I'll get one for you. If you made under $100 in donations and want a receipt... I can provide one upon request.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I am happy to report receipts have gone out to a good many donors! I did not send out receipts to anyone who did not donate $100 or more. I have a couple of venmo people I still need to send messages to. If you were a donor last year and made over $100 in contributions and did not get an email - first off, check your spam since it likely got thrown down there (thats where it was for me). Secondly, get in contact with me and I'll check to make sure we have the right contact email and get it to you if that was the issue. Finally, I did what I could for venmo and cashapp people - if you need a receipt and have not gotten one, get with me and I'll get one for you. If you made under $100 in donations and want a receipt... I can provide one upon request.

thanks again for doing all of this. and my email wasn't in the spam fwiw

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

maybe one day I’ll make enough to itemize and donate even more money

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol wow i donated a lot more than i realized. well, glad it went to a good cause, thank you rqc :cheers:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it was in my spam email. im opening a lawsuit to tim b apple to figure this one out

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I wanted to thank all the donors again, as one of the goons that keeps having to come to the fund. You guys have legit been the only reason I'm not living on the streets yet. Thank you all so much for donating and running this :unsmith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
twas also in my spam. webmasters please fix your dkim settings and such between mailchimp or w/e and your domain :cheerdoge: this is what fixes it :eng101: (then it will go into promotions instead :w00t:)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Smythe posted:

twas also in my spam. webmasters please fix your dkim settings and such between mailchimp or w/e and your domain :cheerdoge: this is what fixes it :eng101: (then it will go into promotions instead :w00t:)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

https://mailchimp.com/help/set-up-email-domain-authentication/ :tipshat:

its the same for all of them, i did it for constant contact, same process. just going into your domain and making a few CNAME and TXT records. takes like 10 mins. it may take a while to update tho. mine took like an hour or smth until it updated from busted to working

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Smythe posted:

https://mailchimp.com/help/set-up-email-domain-authentication/ :tipshat:

its the same for all of them, i did it for constant contact, same process. just going into your domain and making a few CNAME and TXT records. takes like 10 mins. it may take a while to update tho. mine took like an hour or smth until it updated from busted to working

Thanks, I'll get it working and up before I get the official mailing list out (maybe this month if I'm lucky 🤞)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I'll make the website. If you need.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

aren’t we on the website

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JANUARY 2024 FINANCIALS

New year, new books! Minus the carryover from 2023, the P&L Statement of Activities and the Balance Sheet Statement of Financial Position are all fresh for this wonderful new year we have going on! As we mentioned several times this past month, January was tough and we dropped below $100 in the bank account at one point. We thankfully had some wonderful help from donors to prop us up until the recurring amounts were enough to get us to February - which has been a little easier of a month. In that we have only disbursed about $2500 after 12 days - with about 2.1 requests a day. It's still a little heavy, but we just hit the biggest recurring day of the month so we will keep you all updated.

Talking about the SFP (balance sheet) we had about $1700 in liquid assets at the end of the month, with just under $1500 about to drop in our bank account. I'd like to personally thank stripe for not recognizing this as owed to us as of 1/31 since they sent it to us, but it had not arrived in our banks yet. That's only 30 minutes of my life gone searching for that.

We've had quite a few months of surplus that we've been banking, and it was only time until we had a big loss month. That was January! We ended it only losing $800 but that's because someone literally dropped $1K on us at the tail end of the month. That's also the reason we haven't had to e-beg yet as we just went under $1K in the bank account. I'm also going to take this time to mention the important of paying with a bank account versus a card. That $1000? We paid only $5 in bank fees for that. If that was a credit card, we'd have lost about $40. Want to update your card to be a bank account? Go here! Please be wary about making sure you have enough funds in your account compared to a card! Otherwise we both will get NSF fees - and we certainly don't want to cause any issues for you.

Venmo is still our most used disbursement method, this is a bit on us too though as venmo is kinda the default option we select. Cashapp hits our debit card so when times are tough, I prefer for us to use venmo to give us an extra day or two to get more funds in. It does mean we have to budget very carefully, however.

We are up to $3700 a month in recurring donations! That is fantastic! The bad news is we still average about $6K a month in payouts so we don't quite have the donation flow to match our expenses quite yet.

That's it for Financial news, here's some other announcements for you!

-Our paypal account has been transformed into a charity account! Now that means if you donate to our paypal account, instead of 3.5% fees, we pay 1.99% fees! Paypal also gave us permission to set up a new charity venmo account! Which sounds great until you see that word "new". Setting up the new account would require us to shut down the existing account, losing all of our history and forcing us to point donors towards the new account with a different ID/QR code. So we're unsure about that and figured we'd put it out there to you guys to see if its worth it, when the fees paid to venmo wouldn't change and the only major benefit is better statements and donor information.

-I have been given a timetable on the logo! I won't share it for risk of making the artist feel pressured, but it should be live very soon!

-We are working on getting a better email address to send emails out on, as the default gmail we have been using apparently triggers the spam flag much more often (and per mailchimp will be more common as of 2/1/24). However, I would like to introduce our mailing sign up list. The purposes of this email listing would be to send these monthly announcements/financials in a nice email form so you don't have to follow a thread to hear about what's going on! We would also probably use it to blast people about needing funds when we get really low. If you don't want your email clogged up with that - I totally understand, but for people who do want to be alerted, you know have that option.
Here's the unsub link too, for anyone who signs up and changes their mind.

Otherwise, we are continuing to work on our goals and we will update you on those when we have something concrete for you!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fantastic news to share with everyone! Please enjoy the new logo for the goon fund with a big thanks to a cat named norris for their incredible work:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh god you might wanna timg that lmao

or at least resize the png

happy to contribute in whatever way i can <3

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Fantastic news to share with everyone! Please enjoy the new logo for the goon fund with a big thanks to a cat named norris for their incredible work:

that's disgusting and I love it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

the discerning goon uses chopsticks to eat their cheesy snacks :agesilaus:

(it's good)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

goon fund gives back: I’ve been reminded I should try the Buffalo cheetos

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I lost my job and had to stop giving plinkey sandwich money a while back but i'm finally in a place where I can help out again :)

that year-ejnd update was neat for the sheer numbers involved.

death to america. food and rent money to goons.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I should be able to post end of February financials tonight and provide a more proper update but- we are at the beginning of the month and really didn't enter it with a war chest. We got in 7 requests yesterday alone and though we can fulfill all of that right now- it leaves us with no wiggle room with what we expect to be a busy week. We are currently taking it day by day and waiting for deadlines before fulfilling requests. If you submitted a request - you will be fulfilled but we are making you wait to make sure we have funds for emergencies. I hope you understand and this does not cause further stress.

We have a lot of funds that we do expect to get over the weekend (the 10th is a big fund day for us) but we won't have those funds until next Wednesday. Any help to get us there from anyone with a bit extra in their pockets or their tax return would be greatly appreciated!!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

FEBRUARY 2024 FINANCIALS

So we are in our second straight month where we have a net loss. Despite our recurring donations being at our highest, our one time donations have fallen down pretty dramatically, which is why we've had to do a lot more begging as of late. That large surplus we were sitting on as of December 31st has almost been wiped out by how tough January was, with February not really being a respite for us.

I have also separated out February from the year to date SoA/P&L so people can see the month by month breakdown of how funds are coming in/coming out. You can also see that February had only 8 less requests than January but it was $1300 less in disbursements. We also technically had another February request but it went unfulfilled in February due to their deadline being in late March.

In case the above two paragraphs are too subtle - we are in need of more funds to meet the current demand. We have received 15 requests since Monday worth $1405 total ($1,250.00 when accounting for our limits). We currently have 9 requests worth $805 (thats with limits taken into account) that are still owed . We currently have $789.30 in the bank with $95.30 coming from Stripe. We are currently focusing on people with deadlines first to extend our reach (as next week is when the most recurring donations will hit) but as of right now every new request that comes in cannot be guaranteed to be fulfilled as of right now. All currently active requests can be fulfilled but not anything after this post. We just cannot afford our current burn rate, with what our monthly recurring donations are, especially with how much lower our one-time donations have been since last year. It's the same problem I assume all charities are having - less people are working or able to afford donating which decreases donor bases capacity and increases people requesting for help. A bad combination when our surplus from 2023 is gone.

In less depressing news, I have filed for our yearly state registration renewal - The Goonfund will continue being a business for another year. I still need to file with the IRS - but we have until May 15th. My job has given me very little free time right now so my hope is to work on it in April to give myself enough time in case there's any issues, not that I expect any - we are a pretty simple and small company.

We would also like to ask the thread for help with ideas for fundraising. Last year we auctioned off an artwork and 2 emotes. One of those emotes were delivered, I don't think the organizing thread really wanted an emote, and the artwork got left in limbo. I have been reluctant to commit to more forums stuff when we haven't delivered on last year's promises, and auctioning off prizes is... very complicated tax wise compared to simple fundraisers. Still, if anyone has any ideas for what we can do - we are all ears. We need funds and we are willing to do what it takes to get it depending on what would bring in the most cash.

Besides all of that, I'd like to give a shoutout to Docbeard who figured out how discord works and has been a gigantic help to me this year in terms of budgeting, making our request form easier to work on from our side, and fulfilling requests even during the morning hours - whereas I could only do it in the afternoon. Genuinely, I'd have lost my mind were he not involved.

Finally, here's a result of how February's requests broke down by reason. Other is quite high, so I guess it would be good to know if there's any categories we are missing to try and get that down some. It's... a bit depressing to see a good 1/6 of all requests are for food. I guess that does square with 1/6 of americans not eating meals every night. Which... yeah, depressing stuff!

Finally, as I already posted, we have a logo for the Fund now! I have already added it to as many places as I can think of. So you should be able to differentiate us from all those other Goon funds out there (which there are a lot, strangely????). Just look for the cheeto crusted fingers and you know you're giving money to the right people.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
RQC, wanted to ask in this thread but do you mind if I change the GBS title to something like "please donate if you can" or an approved call to action you'd like? I don't want to change it without your approval but I also want people to know that donations are very much appreciated and needed at the moment

E: also saw your update in the other thread - that threads under my personal protection and I'm not letting anyone get away with poo poo in there

Seth Pecksniff has issued a correction as of 03:22 on Mar 7, 2024

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Seth Pecksniff posted:

RQC, wanted to ask in this thread but do you mind if I change the GBS title to something like "please donate if you can" or an approved call to action you'd like? I don't want to change it without your approval but I also want people to know that donations are very much appreciated and needed at the moment

E: also saw your update in the other thread - that threads under my personal protection and I'm not letting anyone get away with poo poo in there

Per KCW, he said to change the title to "GOONS NEED MONEY RIGHT NOW"

Also, the thread in GBS has never been an issue (outside of that one guy who admitted to sexual harrassment??) but before we started it I was concerned there'd be a lot more shitposting and people telling us we are frauds and going to steal people's funds for pants and laptops. That never really happened and I think we have sufficiently proved our legitimacy now.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah just making sure you know I ain't taking poo poo in that thread and I think a 3 day is sufficient to get the point across

I'll go ahead and change the title now - thanks!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Besides all of that, I'd like to give a shoutout to Docbeard who figured out how discord works and has been a gigantic help to me this year in terms of budgeting, making our request form easier to work on from our side, and fulfilling requests even during the morning hours - whereas I could only do it in the afternoon. Genuinely, I'd have lost my mind were he not involved.

o7

Seriously, I'd like to extend my own personal gratitude to everyone who's donated or offered support or even just expressed well-wishes so far. I know we're a jaded and cynical bunch here (in CSPAM, on Something Awful in general, in the world in 2024 in general) but we have a such community of incredibly generous people and believe me, it gets noticed and appreciated.

I've been in dire financial straits myself in the past and have had people stick their necks out for me. And I am very grateful to be in a position to give back a little, and I'm incredibly humbled to be in the company of so many generous and caring people willing to do the same.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Today is a special day for the fund - it's our one year anniversary! One year ago today, the state of Washington finally got back to us and gave us an official letter stating we could do business. From there, we got a bank account, integrated with stripe, venmo, and cashapp to officially launch the Fund to the public on March 17th. While I'm sure all these numbers get boring to look at after a while, I wanted to celebrate by showing just how much we've done over the last 12 months.

We raised over $77K from goons wanting to help, and have managed to disburse just under $73K of that back to other goons. The remaining funds were spent either on merchant fees to transfer that money from one goon to another, or the registrations to the state and federal government. We had just below $1300 that was yet to be disbursed in the form of cash, or its equivalent.

We managed to help 210 unique goons in 2023, and so far have already helped 42 different people in 2024 with a combined total of 262 goons helped since the Fund opened. And already this month, there's been at least 2 or 3 names I don't recognize.

And while I've done no formal survey, the goons who have been helped span the forums. CSPAM, GBS, Games, the sports forums, Tabletop games, even had a couple of art and music goons too! I cannot see the forums browsed for donors (for obvious reasons) but I'd like to believe that the donors come from all backgrounds too. If you want to help us continue helping goons, then please continue spreading the word to those with means or those without.

I hope the results we've showed you in the last 366 days speak for what we as a community can do. And what we can continue to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
you all rock, everybody who donates to this fund rocks, every goon who has reached out to the fund in a time of need is deserving of a helping hand and it is fantastic that they are getting it