Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Glad this is up and running. Grest work so far everyone. Really I'm just posting because I missed the old threat closing and this thread fell off the first page, and I really want people to knoe the fund still exists for folks in need and potential donors are aware it's easier to do set and forget contributions now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

wait, you can't take our filthy foreigner money? I donated a while back. Guess I'm getting diablo 4 afterall!

Officially the nonprofit can't solicit or disperse outside the US, in the interim phase when they were just matching requesters with donors it wasn't a nonprofit yet and they weren't technically involved in the transaction.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm waiting for paypal to work properly since I don't have venmo/cashapp as an old man. But I've also been watching to see if any emergencies come up before then and get mentioned in the thread, though yeah that's not as useful for fund organizing as stable revenue.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Gave a bit via venmo to reduce fees. Hopefully that helps cover any emergencies that might pop up over the next few days.
Also fun note for folks that have avoided venmo because they have paypal: That weird quirk from around the time when paypal bought venmo and didn't like having a single bank account hooked up to both ages ago has been solved.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Jun 4, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, I second fully draining the fund with big ticket requests before we have a steady enough income projection is a bad idea. It's also important we keep promises and don't rugpull someone who reached out with needs and thought they were met. Not to mention we don't want to get into a 'rainy day' mindset, where we don't fulfill actual requests because we need cash on hand for potential ones.

It might help to have a question on the form about partial fulfillment. I noticed we have disclaimers about larger requests, but nothing explicitly asking if partial fulfillment and what threshold could be useful.

Perhaps including as part of this disclaimer an explicit question like "If your request is over <threshold> is there an amount below your requested amount that would still be helpful? Answering this does not mean you will get less than you requested, but will help disburse funds."
Since there are times where half a bill buys some breathing room, and others where it won't.

The more stuff like that we ask up front the more we can avoid situations where someone has to explicitly tell us what's going on or feels pressured to grovel and put on a show when our goal is "solidarity fund with no (non logistics) questions asked"

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Jun 25, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

vortmax posted:

If you want to help, just give to the fund, and trust the people in charge to give it to the people who need it. If enough of us do that the fund could fulfill $300+ requests (or even $1000+ requests inshallah) regularly.

This is kind of a weird response to people's feedback when the steering committee was soliciting feedback about what to do now, and not when it recieves enough money to regularly disperse thousands for big ticket requests without risk.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

vortmax posted:

My apologies, it wasn't meant to be weird. I think I misunderstood Heath's post.

No worries! The goal here is the charity's board are trustworthy volunteers who help administer and steer the fund towards the goals we stakeholders* agree on. It's fair to push back if you see posters advocating stuff you disagree with. We had someone floating the idea of earmarking funds for posting superstars in the gbs thread, after all.

*goons who support and/or need the fund. Not just donors or folks who post too much.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Jun 27, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tsietisin posted:

From the UK fund perspective, we do not means test in any way.

We have had large requests which would have used up nearly all the fund. I'm doing so it would have hindered our ability to help others.

In those situations we have worked with the applicant to see what can be done, should this be advice that can help with their situation, what they need right that moment, does it need to be the full amount right now? Are there other ways we can help your situation that doesn't require money, etc. Can you be paid in installments?

All of those have meant that we are still in a good position.

I agree the only questions should be logistics like this and not really come up if we're not running out of cash when someone needs beneath our current cap -except the deadline one maybe

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't care if my posting enemies get some of the cash I toss into the fund as long as someone gets some food or security they weren't going to have. The US sucks at taking care of people, and funds like this are good and cool in a lovely world

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Do those figures factor in where we're at with remibursing the board for the help getting things up and running, such as kingcobweb's seed loan?
I hope the folks volunteering labor aren't feeling extra pain for stepping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Dang submitted a payment to venmo before I read that it's where we don't need funds right now.