Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Thanks for explaining the 501c3 registration to me at the end of the last thread. Glad to see this officially getting off the ground!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Yardbomb posted:

Thanks so much fund goons, I was one of the $200 requests so I could afford medicine and some groceries, got it and got what I needed and I'm still just shocked at the generosity.
They helped me out during a hard time in the interim between the previous unofficial fund and this one, even though I gave them a lot of poo poo at the time. The generosity is real.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

I did not realize how high the stripe fees were. I might see about switching my monthly over unless you think it would be best to wait until after other stuff gets handled like the 503c stuff?
I switched to manual monthly donations via CashApp/Venmo to save on fees, but I know they can't count on that like a recurring donation no matter how much I swear I'll do it.

I also wonder how many people who donated to the previous unofficial goon fund patreon aren't donating to this one because of how that one was killed. I'm still salty over that. I contribute because I know it works, and it helped me when I was giving the organizers poo poo (and even ate a ban for it). But the previous organizer still hasn't been unbanned and that's some bullshit Dear Jeffrey.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Garrand posted:

While I honestly agree about not liking how the last thread went down, Plinkey was let back on and his been posting since the beginning of march.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I stand corrected on that.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Any chance of getting a forums announcement that links to the GBS thread or this one?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Serious question because I don't know how it works:
Does it cost anything to set up a Patreon for the fund? Like is there a monthly fee even if you don't get any money?

If they only charge you when someone pays, why not add the option? Even if they take a bigger cut, if people use it, some money is better than no money.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

speng31b posted:

Patreon charges a large platform fee on top of the normal payment processor fees. In addition the time and effort we'd have to put in of just managing a Patreon is something. Unless we hear from a significant number of people that they absolutely would not donate unless it's on Patreon I don't think we're going to do this, but as of today no one is really saying that and it's very unlikely we'll do it.

Thanks, that explains a lot. I didn't think about the time to manage it. I guess if it was that easy you would have already done it.

vortmax has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Jun 13, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Full disclosure: I just got help (again) from Goonfund and it wasn't as much as I requested but it was still a huge help. My car is working well enough again to get me to work and around town for errands.

I think it's entirely reasonable to set an upper limit on payouts. I'm pretty sure the previous fund had one. Once you've built up a reserve of hundreds or (inshallah) thousands of dollars, then reconsider the limits.

I'd love to get $2000 from the fund to use with a trade-in to get another car, because this one is getting unsafe to drive, but I really think that amount is outside the scope of the fund right now.

vortmax has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Jun 25, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Heath posted:

Is it possible to have a standing request that is publicly viewable that someone can contribute to directly? Like say there is a 300 dollar request that can't otherwise be fulfilled by the fund. Can there be a list of such requests that someone could be like "oh I'll throw 50 bucks toward that" or something. That may be a lot of logistical work, though

If you want to help, just give to the fund, and trust the people in charge to give it to the people who need it. If enough of us do that the fund could fulfill $300+ requests (or even $1000+ requests inshallah) regularly.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Heath posted:

I do give to the fund, my question was in relation to fulfilling requests that are above the scope of the fund.

Coolness Averted posted:

This is kind of a weird response to people's feedback when the steering committee was soliciting feedback about what to do now, and not when it recieves enough money to regularly disperse thousands for big ticket requests without risk.

My apologies, it wasn't meant to be weird. I think I misunderstood Heath's post.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

your first scenario there is a dreamed up fiction, much like the dreamed up fictions that resulted in clinton destroying social security, among other examples.
Thanks, I was trying to bring up the "welfare queen" myth in relation to this and you did it better than I could.

My only test would be "how much do they post in FYAD" but even that is dumb.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

HELLO.

Do you like DUMB STUFF? Do you like to get dumb stuff in exchange for your donations?!

I have made more STICKERS featuring one of our oldest friends! Proceeds from the sticker sale will go right into the US Goon Fund as a donation. There are only so many stickers available, so the resulting donation will be fairly small, but I think this is a good trial run for any future efforts.

illidan for scale

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1551645647/beyond-the-goat-sea-3-shiny-vinyl

I love this! I hope you sell out!
I continue to greatly appreciate The US Goon Fund

vortmax has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Aug 25, 2023

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I had to take my old lady cat (she's 10) to the vet today for a UTI and because Goon Fund helped me earlier this month with other expenses I was able to cover the bill (with a little help from local friends). Thanks for helping my fuzzy baby in a roundabout way!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Got a letter from the IRS that we are an official 501c3, effective March 8 2023!!!

:peanut:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

With the shiny new 501c3 badge can you get better rates on payment processing from Stripe etc? If so, what about a rebate / credit for the higher rates since March? Like $X in free processing to make up the difference. I am not familiar with the rules for non-profits.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Thanks for the answers. I forgot we live in capitalist hellworld for a few seconds there.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Disclosure: I have received help from the fund

really queer Christmas posted:

My ideas for the future are to have a pre-fund reg date, or to be a prolific poster - judgement left to the committee member filling the request. If you have no posts (and your reg date is within a few years), I will reach out to admin to do an alt check (as I have previously) and if the admin agrees to help and exhonerates the requestor, then I think funds should go.

I think it's fine to set a minimum account age, and I think six months is reasonable. Exceptions can be made for newer accounts that make regular posts, on the judgment of the committee.

If Admins are willing to help that's great, but does that introduce any liability to Jeffrey of YOSPOS LLC?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

docbeard posted:

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a committee spot (note to self: acquire hat). My day job is financial analyst/database toucher bullshit so I could probably help out with the bookkeeping side, and I'm pretty accustomed to handling confidential information. And I like the work that you all do.

To make it formal, docbeard, in a fit of hubris, nominates himself

I'll second docbeard.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I don't know if you need it but I'll second the motion.

(I just started learning about parliamentary procedure recently when I was elected vice-chair of a volunteer city board [because I was the only one eligible for the position, not because I wanted it] so :shrug:)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wait, fundraising? Did goons kill Kissinger?

You can't prove goons didn't....

Glad I was able to chip in a bit more this month instead of asking for more help. Because of this fund I've been able to avoid late fees and overdraft fees, and that's let me very slowly get out from behind. Maybe one day I'll actually get ahead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I love seeing the recurring donation line going up every month :peanut:

really queer Christmas posted:

The Goonfund raised $65,000 from March 17th - December 31st 2023. An absolutely insane amount. What's even crazier, is just under $59,000 of that money was disbursed to goons in need - about 90% of the total funds collected. What happened to the rest of the money we took in? We lost about $2K or 3% to bank fees - cost of getting funds from people to the fund, and about 1% to the government - registering as a charity and a business through the government. The other 5.5% is what we had on hand at the end of the year. So you can be assured that if you give $100 to the Goon Fund - $95.8 goes to goons themselves, putting our overhead at about $3.2 per $100 given. For reference, the average overhead for nonprofit organizations are about $20 per $100 given. That means an extra $16.80 gets to go towards people in need instead of getting lost along the way.
[...]
Overall, we somehow got a goon project off the ground grossing $65K and helped 195 people along the way. I'd go ahead and wager few would have thought that would have happened when we first set up that interim form back on November 26, 2022.

This is incredible! A wildly successful Goon Project!!

I'll admit I was frustrated with how and why this got started but I'm glad y'all have done so much for so many people (including me).