Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

I’d specifically like to thank really queer Christmas for bringing us through this transition phase. absolutely the mvp of the committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Quick printout of the donations we've received so far in our "official fund stripe account" --

The $100 at the bottom was a committee member testing things out and doing a one-time payment, but everything above that in the list has come from live donors (and these are set as recurring donations). Pretty cool to see things starting to work "the right way."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vortmax posted:

Thanks for explaining the 501c3 registration to me at the end of the last thread. Glad to see this officially getting off the ground!

No problem. It's a pretty unintuitive process.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I was being serious though

Thank you for expressing your interest in the upcoming Diablo 4 video game. However, I must respectfully remind you that this forum is dedicated to discussing a community charity fund and how we can best allocate the funds to help those in need.

While we understand your enthusiasm for the video game, it is not relevant to the topic at hand. We kindly request that you refrain from derailing the discussion and focus on the charitable cause at hand.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in keeping the discussion on track. Let's work together to make a positive impact in our community.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

drat thanks to the latest donors that was really helpful

speng31b
May 8, 2010

500 good dogs posted:

drat... lady radia ftw

yeah she is epic and not at all in the usual sense of the word around here

speng31b
May 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I dont have the resources to match Radia but i tossed in what i could in her honor so yay

genuine thank you, that is insanely rad

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hey all, it appears we have a SAD thread raised about someone buying banner ads that look like imp zone IZWF promos but link to this goon fund:

If anyone bought these with good intentions and doesn't want to mention it publicly, feel free to PM any of the committee members privately and we can chat about it. We are all very excited about the good work this fund is doing, but obviously do not want to endorse it in a misleading way or using someone's work in a way that has not been cleared.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

the situation is resolved now. We asked vyelkin to remove the ads as they were attracting a fair amount of negative attention. If whoever bought them is reading this, my recommendation is to approach the admins about getting astral / Jeff to do an anonymous refund and use your powers for a sincere ad (something significantly less trolly).

speng31b has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Apr 18, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

COVID thread is absolutely cleaning house (with proper PPE) in the Posting is Praxis Contest MEGATHREAD (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029252) right now.

A hearty thank you to all goons, it warms my heart to see it, and is also way beyond what any of us expected.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

stripe fees are unfortunate but they are industry standard for card processor, so that's the best we can do for recurring direct from card. If you give directly to another source it may have lower fees but also kind of locks us in to only using it to fulfill requests that support that form of payout. Obviously all forms of donation are welcome but pros and cons

speng31b has issued a correction as of 02:33 on May 18, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vortmax posted:

Any chance of getting a forums announcement that links to the GBS thread or this one?

while the admins and Jeff have been generous to allow us to have a few stickied threads, we also need to make it clear due to past events and baggage that this fund isn't in any way officially sponsored by Jeff or the forums admins.

That's a long way of saying it's a cool idea, but I think as the committee we'd be pushing our luck to request something like that outright. If the admins want to do it of their own volition of course that would be awesome, but it's not something I would expect as that might be viewed as some kind of official an endorsement.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah I hear you. What I am trying to say is -- we have been specifically requested by the admins not to make this have the appearance of a forums official thing. Stickies seem fine so far, but I would not expect anything beyond that. Just explaining the situation, that is all.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Jun 10, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

there's no real easy recurrining way to set and forget and still give

all of the links in the OP are for recurring except for one which allows one time donations. We are using stripe which is the same billing platform Patreon uses under the hood but with a significantly lower overhead.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, absolutely. If it's not clear that almost every donation link in the OP leads to an easy recurring donation option we should do more to make that clear.... maybe reorganize the info to highlight that?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

you don't sign up for anything to do the stripe recurring donations, you just enter your card info and email directly after clicking the link, and it sends you email info you can use to cancel it later or whatever.

As I mentioned it is the same payment system Patreon uses under the hood we just don't have to pay Patreon fees on top of the processing fees.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Jun 10, 2023

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I agree that contact to cancel is annoying, and if it is a big problem for people I could at some point do a web form that lets you do it automatically without talking to anyone.

you'd just enter your email in a form, it would fire a cancellation link to that email which would cancel any subscriptions that were created tied to that email.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sure, I'd be curious to get opinions from more people if that kind of thing would just be nice to have or if it's stopping anyone from donating who might otherwise.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vortmax posted:

Serious question because I don't know how it works:
Does it cost anything to set up a Patreon for the fund? Like is there a monthly fee even if you don't get any money?

If they only charge you when someone pays, why not add the option? Even if they take a bigger cut, if people use it, some money is better than no money.

Patreon charges a large platform fee on top of the normal payment processor fees. In addition the time and effort we'd have to put in of just managing a Patreon is something. Unless we hear from a significant number of people that they absolutely would not donate unless it's on Patreon I don't think we're going to do this, but as of today no one is really saying that and it's very unlikely we'll do it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i donate monthly

i will not if you do a patreon. it's a ripoff

so don't

yeah, I personally have no desire to set up a Patreon, circumstances would have to change really significantly to change my opinion on that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as the OP states, we do verify that anyone asking for money is a member of the community in good standing (they have an SA account that is not an obvious burner and are not permabanned).

I think with those criteria alone it would be pretty tough to be running a large scale scam and fly under the radar, but as others have mentioned, we do not means test and we do not scour post histories for the "right type of poster" we agree with politically or otherwise.

we probably won't change our stance on this because it seems like the right balance, but if people have genuine suggestions or ideas to improve anything we are happy to discuss.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

docbeard posted:

Kind of lovely of Stripe to keep taking in recurring donations while they're freezing the money pending this review, but I guess that's the nature of things.

Good luck with everything. You're all doing great work!

We can pretty easily refund them later if it becomes an issue, stripe isn't going to steal the cash or whatever. If they resolve the review issue all those donations will just go to the bank faster.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

this was pretty stressful to say the least so we are glad money is going to the bank account again

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is there a user portal for the stripe donations? Like to manage cards on file, amount, date, etc.

There is a portal we can use as Stripe admins to see and manage all of that. From a donor standpoint Stripe will email you receipts but you have to message one of us fund operator people if you want to get anything more detailed than that. We have talked about building a simple interface for donors to use to manage their donations directly and that would be nice to have, but it's not super critical right now because we have a small enough number of donors that we can operate it by simple requests atm.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Got a letter from the IRS that we are an official 501c3, effective March 8 2023!!!

hell yeah

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the 501c3 thing is much more exciting, but i also just received word that the watch thread successfully completed their fundraiser for the goon fund, and we received a nice $140 donation from it. The auction itself was not affiliated with us directly, but it was very nice of them to run it and support the fund regardless. Here are the details if anyone is curious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041653

They auctioned off something called a Turdo, which I assume from the obvious context, is a goon project to produce a goon watch.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

vortmax posted:

With the shiny new 501c3 badge can you get better rates on payment processing from Stripe etc?

Nope the rates that stripe charges are the same regardless of business type. It is pretty much the standard fee for any credit card processor that handles recurring online charges.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

corona familiar posted:

you might also consider switching on the Stripe billing portal, which provides a webpage where people can manage their recurring donations. might help reduce the number of support requests when that becomes an issue

Dang that's awesome I was looking around in the docs but had no idea stripe offered this. We should definitely use it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

someusername posted:

Hey gang, where would I go to see if someone was up for letting me buy them whatever sort of good or service on a CC and sending me money peer to peer?

I've got a card w/ 0% introductory and need some actual liquid funds, but it goes straight to 29.99 for anything it deems "cash like" , or buying prepaid cards or whatever
with it. becoming common quickly i'm told

Honestly have no idea what the answer to this is, but you might try pming an sa mart mod since it sounds like you are asking for a trade of some kind as opposed to a donation

speng31b
May 8, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

My monthly donation expired because I canceled the card it was on, what's the best way to renew it? The expiration email has an "Update billing information" link that goes to usgoonfund.com which doesn't have anything about fixing it.

Just redo the Stripe donation monthly maybe?

yeah, you can just make a new one. if the old card died stripe will automatically give up on billing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

Uhh, just checked the payments and want to thank the two separate people who dropped $1,000 on Sunday. I was genuinely not expecting anyone to be able to help to that degree so soon.

Heck yeah people are rad