Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

drat... lady radia ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not stopped me from donating, nor will it, but having a simple way to do things like adjust the recurring amount or the day it processes (or even just a place to go to check these things that wasn't searching through old emails) would be very welcome.

Absolutely not worth hanging the multiple forms of baggage of Patreon around your necks though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think it's reasonable for the fund to say "there are limits to our ability to accommodate large requests" (especially since it's true, and likely always will be, just because of the nature of what people need).

Speaking as someone who's in a relatively comfortable financial situation at the moment but for whom that absolutely has not always been the case, even a tiny amount of relief can be a lifesaver, even if it isn't absolutely everything you need at the moment. I think the current practice of helping out every request with something while making sure the fund remains viable for the stuff that comes in tomorrow or next week or next month is a good one.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"But what if someone's scamming us" is a question that can be (and has been) asked of any charitable or aid effort, and even when it's not a deliberate excuse to not do anything (such as the rhetoric around various universal school lunch programs recently) at a certain point the answer has to be that you accept a level of risk in order to be able to help anyone at all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kwolok posted:

I agree but I also don't want to support people who support the literal extermination of my family atm (we just found out my cousin is missing and may well be dead) and I feel as though that is a legitimate human response.

I understand though if this conversation is not productive or appropriate for the thread so I'll drop it.

I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin and I hope they're okay.

Your choice to support, or not, the fund is exactly that: your choice. I think the fund being ideologically neutral (beyond the 'poster on Something Awful in good standing' thing, which certainly weeds out some beliefs) is, again, worth the risk that money might go to someone who believes things I don't personally care for or support.

(Besides, consider that sometimes material support can help keep someone from going over an ideological cliff as well as a physical one, not always, and you won't know, but sometimes.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kind of lovely of Stripe to keep taking in recurring donations while they're freezing the money pending this review, but I guess that's the nature of things.

Good luck with everything. You're all doing great work!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Excellent news!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I guess if someone registers today just to ask for money that's, whatever, but I'd certainly be on the side of being lenient where such requirements are concerned. I'd rather money got to people who needed it (and while I'd like to think that long-established goons are less likely to be scammers, well, you know.)

I think six months' activity is a reasonable line to at least take a closer look at someone's request, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I absolutely oppose any amendment that gives capricious mods the ability to deny assistance to people.

Yeah, I don't think tying ban/probation reasons to eligibility for assistance will lead anywhere good (unless you consider the worst pedants on the site starting endless arguments about YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN THAT FREAK $200 BECAUSE HE HAS A SIXER FROM OL YELLER FOR GENOCIDE DENIAL to be good I guess).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Amendments are good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a committee spot (note to self: acquire hat). My day job is financial analyst/database toucher bullshit so I could probably help out with the bookkeeping side, and I'm pretty accustomed to handling confidential information. And I like the work that you all do.

To make it formal, docbeard, in a fit of hubris, nominates himself

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Besides all of that, I'd like to give a shoutout to Docbeard who figured out how discord works and has been a gigantic help to me this year in terms of budgeting, making our request form easier to work on from our side, and fulfilling requests even during the morning hours - whereas I could only do it in the afternoon. Genuinely, I'd have lost my mind were he not involved.

o7

Seriously, I'd like to extend my own personal gratitude to everyone who's donated or offered support or even just expressed well-wishes so far. I know we're a jaded and cynical bunch here (in CSPAM, on Something Awful in general, in the world in 2024 in general) but we have a such community of incredibly generous people and believe me, it gets noticed and appreciated.

I've been in dire financial straits myself in the past and have had people stick their necks out for me. And I am very grateful to be in a position to give back a little, and I'm incredibly humbled to be in the company of so many generous and caring people willing to do the same.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hello everyone,

We had a request that had a deadline of yesterday that we need some additional information to complete. We reached out to the requestor through the contact info they provided, but haven't yet heard back from them so I thought I'd mention it here, too. If this sounds like you, you can either PM me, or email us at usgoonfund@gmail.com.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I’ve tried submitting a google form to ask for help but the form seems to crash after I submit and I’m not sure if it actually submitted. If it did, please use the second submission as it has my full information.

Not seeing anything under your username on the form. Try submitting again and if that doesn't work you can either PM me (or another committee member) or send an email to usgoonfund@gmail.com