Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Donating on a recurring basis because so many posters on this stupid loving website are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i donate monthly

i will not if you do a patreon. it's a ripoff

so don't

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

a larger amount of small payouts seems more within the scope of funds right now. if the amount of dependable monthly incomes grows, the issue can be revisited.

i know bills for large amounts of money are terrifying, and people rightly ask for help. but i also think that if things are dire enough that someone is asking for $30, that could be a scenario that is more... immediately problematic. i'm picturing, 'i need money for my already subsidized medicine this month,' sorta things.

i dunno, crafting narratives certainly shouldn't be prescriptive, but i'm giving that example to illustrate how i'm thinking.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

your first scenario there is a dreamed up fiction, much like the dreamed up fictions that resulted in clinton destroying social security, among other examples. your second scenario is believing that only people who are ideologically aligned with you deserve help.

those two scenarios, and peoples' belief in them, are why people don't support social services. they are also largely why a loving internet forum has to organize mutual aid funds.

despite you saying that means testing sucks and is wrong, it is what you are describing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lmao people are so obsessed with means testing that they will talk about who gets what from a mutual aid fund that has like $2000, exists only on an internet forum, and isn't even donated to by the people arguing about it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wtf have we really raised and distributed nearly $35,000 is that right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

accounts that are a couple days old with no no posts or a couple posts should probably be scrutinized.

everything else, fine

not an easy problem, and I’m conscious of the mental drain of looking at someone’s account and deciding if they should get material aid. that’s no bueno. this seems like the most straightforward solution.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah we already do that, it's called work

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

as a regular contributor, I agree with the amendments. thanks for bringing thought out proposals for consideration, I know that’s work.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

if this isn’t a fundraising opportunity, I don’t know what is

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

cheers