Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Oooh, Zak McKraken! The original DOS release is what I had as a kid, with EGA colors and the C64 art style rather than the VGA stuff. Mind that early Lucasarts VGA was kinda rough in spots, like Zak's apartment here. As a kid I never got too far, I'd hit the copy protection and not having the manual ended up in pirate jail once I unlocked the other characters and tried to leave the US. I don't think it would've helped though. I think all the locations would make a map and notes for the obstacles in each area, what you could find in them, and plotting a route without running out of money was gonna be beyond kid me, nevermind half the puzzles. Plus the ol' 286 and this game didn't gel well together, the cursor wasn't exactly speedy and controlled by the keyboard, and if there were keyboard shortcuts my kid brain never remembered to use them.

I did like the modern setting in an adventure game, even if San Fransico, the airplane, the stupid dark cave, and Mars were kinda limited to explore. But again it was a game made for few floppies instead of QfG2's 9 or so floppies and the like, and years between 'em too. Modern settings felt more cohesive or familiar, same with Indy3, LSL2, and PQ2 that I grew up with.

Thanks for the LP! I never knew there was a fan sequel so I'm curious how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU